Priority Seating On Trams

I was travelling from Meadowhall back to Hillsborough earlier today on a half empty tram.  I watched an older lady, with obvious mobility issues get on and have to climb the steps to the main carriage, because yet again, there were several teenagers in the Priority seats.  She spoke to the conductor, who understood her issue, but suggested she ask for the seat, as staff can’t make someone move. 

Recently I had to use a walking stick, and was quite unsteady at times. I always tried to sit on one of the seats near the door, to avoid tripping or stumbling.   I know about hidden disabilities, and try not to be judgemental, but the seats are marked Priority for a reason.  Not everyone who needs one has the confidence to speak up.  The teenagers got off at Hillsborough, no issues with walking or messing about then.  I feel there’s an increasing  lack of understanding and empathy towards the less able.   

6 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I was travelling from Meadowhall back to Hillsborough earlier today on a half empty tram.  I watched an older lady, with obvious mobility issues get on and have to climb the steps to the main carriage, because yet again, there were several teenagers in the Priority seats.  She spoke to the conductor, who understood her issue, but suggested she ask for the seat, as staff can’t make someone move. 

Recently I had to use a walking stick, and was quite unsteady at times. I always tried to sit on one of the seats near the door, to avoid tripping or stumbling.   I know about hidden disabilities, and try not to be judgemental, but the seats are marked Priority for a reason.  Not everyone who needs one has the confidence to speak up.  The teenagers got off at Hillsborough, no issues with walking or messing about then.  I feel there’s an increasing  lack of understanding and empathy towards the less able.   

It's desperately sad that there are some very selfish people who hog priority seats.

Having said that, it must be a year ago now I was stood up on the tram and a guy got on at Fitzallen Square, obviously in quite a lot of discomfort, however, managed to negotiate himself onto the priority seat. I think at the Catherdral stop a woman got on,quite sprightly and assertively questioned him if he needed the seat. He said he did and she found herself a seat just behind me, and proceeded to chunter and grumble to herself about other people.

When I was young my Mum always made sure myself or my sister stood up on the bus, if an elderly passenger got on.  Sadly, that doesn't seem to happen as much nowadays.

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

It's desperately sad that there are some very selfish people who hog priority seats.

Having said that, it must be a year ago now I was stood up on the tram and a guy got on at Fitzallen Square, obviously in quite a lot of discomfort, however, managed to negotiate himself onto the priority seat. I think at the Catherdral stop a woman got on and questioned him if he needed the seat. He said he did and she found herself a seat just behind me, and proceeded to chunter and grumble to herself about other people.

When I was young my Mum always made sure myself or my sister stood up on the bus, if an elderly passenger got on.  Sadly, that doesn't seem to happen as much nowadays.

Elderly passengers and pregnant ladies  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

That's very sad. Back in the day my mum would always get me to move for somone who needed the seat. It became second nature very quickly and as an adult I moved without even giving it any thought 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well yes, no conductor is going to want to run into battles with people on trams, they are as enforceable as parent and child spaces in car parks.

There are fold up seats at each end I suppose before you have to contemplate climbing the stairs. 

I wouldn’t expect the conductor to. The fold ups were in use too.  The main part was pretty empty.  Disability spaces are enforceable surely, by displaying a blue badge? Perhaps those seats should be reserved for passengers with disability or old age related passes, although its pretty obvious when someone is elderly and infirm.

3 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I wouldn’t expect the conductor to. The fold ups were in use too.  The main part was pretty empty.  Disability spaces are enforceable surely, by displaying a blue badge? Perhaps those seats should be reserved for passengers with disability or old age related passes, although its pretty obvious when someone is elderly and infirm.

Kids don't normally use the main carriage , they like to mess about near the doors 

2 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

That's very sad. Back in the day my mum would always get me to move for somone who needed the seat. It became second nature very quickly and as an adult I moved without even giving it any thought 

There certainly seems to be a lack of awareness these days. Not sure if it's a lack of respect or manners, as a lot of kids are quite pleasant if you talk to them.

• Like 1