Central Technical School

PopT

Rebate Post #144

I remember my days at the Tech. with pride.

I suffered under the strict discipline of the school, but have to admit the punishment was well deserved.

I was never good at examinations but I agree entirely what you say about having a second chance at education.

I'm sure if I had not got a place at the Tech. my whole life's experiences would have been much poorer.

The schooling there not only helped me in my work it also helped me in my approach to a lot of other things in life.

The prizes are cherished more, when they have been gained by overcoming the obstacles in life.

Well said Rebate.

Happy Days!

The discipline regime at the CTS could be harsh at times. In fact when I was Vice Captain in 68-69 I had more power then than I did as a teacher and HoD several years later. However no system is perfect and it is worth while remembering that this school provided those unfortunate boys who failed the 11 plus and were condemned to the educational scrap heap of a sec. mod.as worthless and incapable of passing an exam, with a second chance. The staff there from Herbert Wadge down believed passionately in our ability to succeed and I thank all of them for their efforts without which my life would not have been as successful as it has been.

My brother attended the CTS after failing his eleven plus. The opportunity never presenting itself for me a few years later because I'd moved into the West Riding.

From experience. I agree with ever word that is written in the above quote.

A week tonight, Friday 13 Oct, is the President's dinner of the CTS OBA. this is being held at Davy Sports and Social Club 6.45pm for 7.30pm - tickets £13.50 pp available from Stuart Green on 01909-484696. Old Boys, teachers and male guests are welcome to attend.

I can't confirm this but it was planned for 4.45pm that afternoon that those gathering in Leopold Square will be given a tour of the new development.

Stuart Green 01909-484696

I attended the Tech from 1958 to 1963 and was on the building side.

As a retired maths teacher I now realise how high were the standards that were expected of us and indeed were reached by the majority of pupils. Discipline was tough but when we joined we were told right at the beginning what was expected of us. We could either accept or leave. Very few did leave. There were injustices but this was all part of the welcome to the real world.

Herbert was a dictator, but a well-intentioned dictator. Her ensured the school ran as it should be run and was unwilling to compromise. I remember well his obsession with speech day. This was mentioned at nearly every one of his famous assemblies. As speech day grew nearer so did the length of these. Singing the school song until we were perfect and the band playing as well. Certain members of staff were not so appreciative as period 1 generally suffered. I remember Pop Gregory stamping his feet and announcing to his pupils "how can we revise for the coming exam when we are stuck in the hall"?

One great criticism of Herbert was his own version of ensuring we had wonderful passes rates at GCE. If you didn't pass the trial GCE you didn't enter. Very often the number entering was much lower than the number studying the subject. At speech day the final part were the results. The pass rates given were always very high and you could almost hear the gasps of breath from the audience as these results were read out. Herbert sat down to thunderous applause. If the pass rate had been given as a percentage of the pupils who had taken the trial GCE the results would have been good but not so impressive. We had a good time at the Tech. I wonder how many of today's kids would react to the conditions we experienced? I know I benefited from my time there.

Sorry but I only meant to shine a light into a seemingly dark corner. have you always been a pernickity ******* chairboy? What I posted was taken from my memories and a book. There is no definitive version.

Thanks for postin the song.

I think you are over reacting in your response.

Cheers David - only half of it is true anyway! I am a pedant, that's the way I am. Isn't that the legacy of the training we received, instilled? Having taught Maths, learnt languages, played in orchestras, sports stats/reporting etc. I have been taught to check everything. If I make an error, and I do, it irks me immensely and I race to correct it. I was brought up to the idea that if anything is worth doing, it has to be correct. When I review books and I spot errors, I get very annoyed. On this forum I have supplied, via reliable book sources, information and data asked for - international caps, ages etc. Those who appreciate my responses will now know that 'Chairboy' is to be considered a reliable source. I do not stitch people up and because of Maths, that' the way I've been trained.

Imagine taking 0.38mm off some metal on the lathe when it should have been 0.375! It's nothing personal, I like accuracy and correct my mother when she tells me she's won a 'tenner' on the lottery!