Central Technical School

PopT

I have found the July 2006 newsletter of the OBA and apologise if things have since changed.

I post the following; President Phil Fletcher - living in Loughborough 01509-215698.

Social Secretary Ian Turner 0114-2420242

Treasurer Stuart Green - 5 Sparken Close, Worksop S80 1BN 01909-484696.

Brilliant!!!!!!

are you the same Dave Theaker who lived in Woodhouse and went to Beaver Hill School (you couldn't call a school THAT these days) before the CTS. Bessemer house athletics team 1965?

Hi there.Its sandy who is probably Dave Theaker not biker.I was there 1960-63

hi David

You are right. It was 64 and I stayed there til 69

Did you play any sports for the school? if you played cricket or football,I might know you as I was only a year in front,I played for the 1st team at cricket for a couple of years and 2nd team at football .

Did you play any sports for the school? if you played cricket or football,I might know you as I was only a year in front,I played for the 1st team at cricket for a couple of years and 2nd team at football .

Sorry but I wasn't much good at cricket or football so I never made the teams. Iwasn't too bad at athletics and was in the 65 Bessemer athletics team. Was that your house?

I used to knock around with a lad called David Ives. He was good at piano playing if that helps

Does anyone remember that most quintessential element of Wadgerian disipline:- The Public Flogging?

I have a vivid recollection of one such occasion. This happened at the new school, shortly after we had taken up residency as it were. Wadge had gone to great lenghts in assemblies to stress the importance of looking after the fabric of the building. Satchels (yes we had them in those days) were to be hung on the shoulder in such a way that it was not possible for the buckles to scratch the emulsion on the walls as we walked down corridors because painters would not be comming for another 5 years so we were supposed to treat the building with respect.

One day we were in a lesson and the bell went continually, and we new that it was a general assembly and probably a public flogging. Every kid in the school must have wondered if they had commited some minor indescresion that had aroused Wadge's wrath. We never new till we were in the assembly.

It transpired that the new chairs we sat on had a green disc set into the back of the cross piece supporting the back of the chair and one had been deliberately and willfully removed. Hence the assembly. Wadge fulminated about this for what seemed hours. His face was red as a beetroot and his gown seemed to inflate as his wrath and the tirade reached a crescendo, and a nicotine stained finger pointed out towards one boy as he yelled in fury, almost foaming, STAND UP STUBBS!

Stubbs stood up,and then in a momentary silence after Stubbs had stood up, someone nearby farted. I still have a mark on the inside of my lip where I bit it hard to prevent myself erupting into laughter, but the pain and tatse of blood pailed into insignificance compared to having to explain to Wadge why I was laughing in the assembly.

Poor old Stubbs duly ascended the stage and was caned harshley in front of the whole school.

Happy days?

Hi Rebate,

Thanks for the photo it is a great feeling to speak with your class mates from 42 years ago I will send you pm later, but there is one question I would like the forums help on an it is what happened to Brian Chapman, the last I heard in the late 60's he went to join the RAF and he was at the training school in Long Eaton. Does anyone know of him and his wherabouts I would dearly love to be able to comunicate with him and all the ex lads from 65

Thanks Dave Theaker

• 3 weeks later...

Hi: I'm an old CTS boy from 62 to 66, and I played footie (I think for the under 14 s at the time) , and we kicked 3 bells out of the Oakwood School team one Saturday morning. Their teacher, who was refereeing, abandoned the match I think after about 20 minutes. The whole team was 'thrashed' by Wadge on monday morning .

Hi: I'm an old CTS boy from 62 to 66, and I played footie (I think for the under 14 s at the time) , and we kicked 3 bells out of the Oakwood School team one Saturday morning. Their teacher, who was refereeing, abandoned the match I think after about 20 minutes. The whole team was 'thrashed' by Wadge on monday morning .

In football terms: "Bringing the school in to disrepute!"