Central Technical School

PopT

Does anybody remember the Dainties sweet shop at the bottom of West Street in the early 1960,s?I remember a petite,but beautifully formed lady serving there.Its a wonder that I have any teeth left.

Just to confirm you aren't imaging things, I remember Dainties sweet shop, so typical with all the jars etc. I don't remember the lady working there but I can hardly remember going in. It was up about three steps. Dainties sold "Butter Dainties" - not connected.

I had forgotten the shop until your reminder but I recall Burberrys next door with all the University faculty scarves in the window. They reminded me of the duffle coat, which I possessed but can't remember whether they constituted school uniform in the winter? Those beer barrel-like toggles!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am new here. Just spent last hour down memory lane. I left CTS in 62 was in Kens class. Lived for a time at Ecclessal next to Albert Fairbrother who in turn lived next to Nat Dove. Alan (Fred) Frow regular visitor.

Not seen the other Wadgycicsm "Baby Big Heads"

Hi I am new here. Just spent last hour down memory lane. I left CTS in 62 was in Kens class. Lived for a time at Ecclessal next to Albert Fairbrother who in turn lived next to Nat Dove. Alan (Fred) Frow regular visitor.

Not seen the other Wadgycicsm "Baby Big Heads"

Some of this has a familiar ring to it but I could be wrong? I am wondering if you left in '62 because parents needed to move location? I remember a Dawson, but nobody 'did' forenames, so the Malcolm is vague. The Dawson I recall came from Oakwood School in Rotherham. He had rosy cheeks curly/wavy hair and was well-spoken. I seem to remember the Ecclesall connecion and I think the beaks mentioned lived on either Tullabardine or Gisborne Road?

Fairbrother's art room was the first on the right into Bow Building and Dove played a musical part in the Speech Days. Fred Frow lived with his parents next to my best pals and was invariably marking in his bay window as we set about our evening football. I remember Fred (amusingly droll) - asking "Where we going?" when we used to pack our bags unilaterally at 3.15pm, prior to going swimming at King Edward's baths.

After Maths in the first year with Fred, Roy Wolstenholme took me on (I later met up with Roy at Myers Grove but sadly he's no longer with us). He was another man whose dry humour appealed. Finally Andy Walker cemented my early Maths' education - often, with that Bee & Gray trig. book. Ron Bee having been a former teacher at the school. Walker and Bee had both been at Abbeydale Boys' GS.

In between were the Mechanics/Applied Maths sessions with Alf Simpson, Ron Upton and John Godbehere. Upton, I think, is now at Silverdale and I subsequently worked with John when he was HoD at Tapton prior to his retirement.

Hope you've enjoyed the pages of nostalgia Malcolm?

No I left at 16 (from 6A) not wanting to stay on for O level. I went into engineering, eventually ending up at BSC for 24 years. I originated from Hinde House, previously attending Firs Hill Junior. I was given the nick name of digger at the time after some character in one of the soaps.

Albert Fairbrother lived on Tullibardine, I understand after we moved up to Aston that he took up with Katie (not heard her mentioned). By the way my spelling is diabolical heaven help the rest of my year because I won the English prize!!!!. Fank gudnes 4 spel chequa

I played tenor horn in the school band. Can anyone remember the practice for speech day when Herbert went mad at the bands performance of the Elizabethan Serenade? I also kept wicket for the second eleven.

It was 6 or 7 years after leaving that I moved next door to Albert and renewed my acquaintance with Fred. His first words were "and by the way it's Alan"!!!

Anyone remember Latham driving himself to school much to the annoyance of the staff because he had a better car than any of them.

Did we also have a French teacher whose favourite phraise was "the subtle difference of the two main factors"? or was that Hinde House,

PS

Talking about Bee & Gray was there also A.J.Mee whose book we also used?

It's been interesting to read others perspective on the same school. Yes I remember stories of herbert's caning regeame and indeed had some myself (not from him) for failure to produce home work etc. but 40+ years ago we accepted this as par for the course, overall I look back now and think just where would I have ended up if I had not had the engineering education? Evan though I say it myself I turned out to be a good engineer.

Call me sad but I still sing the old school song from time to time, when in the car usually at full blast. Z cars has a lot to answer for.

I still look back with some pride, in contrast to my wife who went to Myers Grove in the days when gender was all important as to the way the head treated his pupils.

The cane was standard throughout in those days - George Mack at High Storrs, Clapton at King Ted's, tyrannical figures to name a couple.

Frow's initials were F.A. Frow so whether he was called Frederick Alan Frow, I know not? I liked him anyway and he never did me any harm.

You were two years ahead of me and the 'alternative' Dawson, and I'm not familiar with the French teacher quote. The French teachers I had were Bunn, Underdown and "Jack Queen" King. We carried on the Fairbrother nickname of "Fanny" but no idea why? Wasn't he a Liverpudlian?

The only time I was caned was by "Sally" Hughes who collected half a dozen of us from Fairbrother's art lesson and took us on to Bow landing for being insubordinate in a music test. Ironic, in reflection, as classical music has always been a strong interest of mine - but Pinky and Perky for Porgy & Bess, A sonata? "Frank", I guess, was a fair cop!

I still have a copy of Bee & Gray as I used it in the 70's to teach from but Euclid went out of the window - far too complicated for much of the comp intake - and much of the Physics' syllabus was similarly diluted.

A.J.Mee - absolutely! It was the province of the ruddy-faced Pop Gregory. First it had to be backed and then the contents learned - Gas Laws, Lavoisier et al. Those falling short had a 'ruby backside'!

Remember all the valencies and definitions we had to memorise, "Saturated Solutions" etc? Woe betide those that didn't. The answers were in the back, and several were wrong, especially in the electrolysis section. Pop knew to a Tee who'd been cribbing answers from the back! What a feisty, little man he was. Less than 7/10 - whacko! When you received your report - it was always "Chemistry and Metallurgy" and written in brown ink!

From the band, I bet you remember John Garside whose late parents kept the Ranmoor Inn in great style and maybe Ian Turner who was timpanist? I think Ian performs a role in the OB's set-up? You must remember some of the names in earlier threads such as Henser, Bennison etc.? I posted a 2nd X1 cricket picture higher up the thread - with Howell on it. Don Woolhouse was one of my favourites, there was an avuncular touch about him.

Your wife would have been at Myers when William Hill was the head? I worked there on supply in the late 80's and one of the senior management team was Mrs Headley whom I think I'm right in saying was the late Sam's daughter-in-law? I pass the old school, now being redeveloped as you will know, every time I go into town and the memories, in the main, are outstandingly clear.

Spot on with Myers Grove, it's left a permanent scar on her in doors.

Fred often used to visit next door and was an ok guy. French guy was quite young tall with black hair if I remember right.

Ian Turner tall thin blonde, was in same class as me I recall.? Can remember John Garside I think he played trombone. I also had a spell on trombone before I left. First year I was there we had a good band John Parkinson played solo cornet with Sally Army and another guy was good on Tenor Horn band went down hill after they left.

Was interested to see cricket team, an image of the one I used to have but with different faces. Still some familier faces.

Pop was a character, his other skill? was his ability to drive scrap cars and get away with it. One story going round at the time was about the time he had a car without a streering wheel and used a spanner on the central nut. The story went on to say he had a smash in it when the spanner came off. May be far fetched but knowing the guy then it could have been true. There was also the regular story of him shooting a moving target in his room.

I have heard that the old school is being redeveloped but have not been that way for 20 + years. Must go a trip down memory lane at some time.

Anyone remember Brian Carnall, he was in brickies a year above me. We heard this week that he passed away in April. He worked for Heath's the undertaker for a good number of years.

Another name comes to mind Gregory he was in our class. One day we were tinsmithing with Harry, we all called him Mr Perkin but with affection. I think it was his birthday or something and we gave him a card with the verse "In the tinshop we've larking so hear's good luck to Mr Parkin". Gregory quipped it ought to be "In the tinshop we've been WORKING so hear's good luck to Mr Perkin. Harry took it in good humour.

Who was the guy who taught mechanics who was the brunt of all the practical jokers? I recall he had the habbit of resting on his desk with his hand over, but not touching, the board rubber. One day one of our class fastened some cotton to it and pulled it away.

Jack Whoolhouse was good, I often think of him when I clean my glasses. He was always sending someone to the shop for LeansClean I recall. There were a number of the practical teaching staff who had had a spell in industry who taught differently to the accademics. One guy who springs to mind took us for sand bashing can't remember his name.

Can anyone confirm this, I attended the school at the end of Leopole St ,next to the Education buildings 1936 to 1940 But then it was known as the JuniorTechnical School Can anyone out there confirm this please I seem to remember the Headmaster was a Mr Thomas

Hi Milted. I have posted three links which may be of interest but neither answers your questions. I am aware it was called the Junior Technical School at one time but I don't know the names of heads prior to Wadge. Perhaps someone of your vintage can answer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Central_Technical_School

http://www.omnesamici.co.uk/CGSbuildings/CGSbuildings.html

http://www.omnesamici.co.uk/CGS2001STAR.html

Don't be put off by City Grammar references, there is CTS information/nostalgia within!

Hi Malcolm, Just to go over your points raised. I held a "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" attitude when on supply but I felt (confirmed by others) that Myers Grove deteriorated when it lost its V1 form (political - I gather).

I think the tall French guy might be Ron Underdown who also taught English?

Albert Bunn was dark and tall with a moustache which assumed a Gallic shape when he said "une". Ron had quite a presence and carried out his canings in front of the whole class - with force. Quite terrifying really.

Your description of Ian Turner - spot on. I seemed to remember his joining the police force? John Garside did play trombone. A mate of mine at that time who was probably your age was John Concannon who was usually in the group of us going to Wednesday away games.

I look at old photographs and say to myself, 'that's so and so, I know him' etc and then I look at the dates and it can't be those people. Everyone looks so similar. The name of Brian Carnell is familiar but I wouldn't recognise him. Sorry to hear of his death.

Pop Gregory - anecdotes? many, legendary but from what Roy Wolstenholme subsequenly told me, not all were rumour! Character and a half, I'd say! Allegedly had an Aladdin's Cave in Holly Building. I heard he didn't need to teach, made his money on cattle at Barnsley Market?

You mention "Tinsmithing" - that was held in an annexe opposite the Library Theatre, just behind where the Crucible now stands. The two beaks at my time were Ken Westnedge (may be Westnidge?) and Williams. I hated it, as I did all the practical subjects. One might ask why I attended the school?

Thank God for Maths! Soldering and folding to make a wretched ashtray! It usually resulted in a teacher-held mallet appearing near my head! Some posters, elsewhere have referred to the 'violence' but it wasn't unique to CTS.

"There is the door" - if you don't like it. For selective schools, you were deemed fortunate and advised to make the best of it. Thus, it became a bit of a culture shock to many teachers of that vintage, myself included, when schools changed and nobody had a workable solution for those recalcitrants at the bottom end.

Maybe the Mechanics teacher was Alf Simpson, one of the avuncular types. Pupils were rude to him without good reason. He was a little deaf and pupils took advantage (which is why you don't give them an inch!). They'd say;"Sir you're daft" - "What was that boy?", "Sir there's a draught, can we shut t'windows?" I was quite happy with Alf in EWP just draw-filing all afternoon, blisters and all - rather than risk the wrath of Charlie Baines next door. We were making those flat drill gauges which became used for shove penny games on the balcony of Firth Hall at lunchtimes!

As you may have seen on those links for MILTED, there are some photos and the likes of "Toffee" (Thornton) appear. The 'Builders' had Thornton, Hunter and Crisp to contend with. The 'Engineers' had Baines, Westnedge, Simpson. Baines had a sidekick called Stacey. Wasn't he workshop technician?

Across Bow Yard to the Patternmaking and Foundry areas, there was Davis, Jarvis - who had a Dan Dare-style jaw - Don Woolhouse and Gordon Saul. Mr. Saul once had to take me to the Royal Hospital with a spliced thumb. I was doing a job for him and took my eye off the scriber! Stupid boy!!

"Sand Bashing" was painless until you came to turn over the core box preparatory to setting the 'riser peg' and found you'd rammed it the wrong way round!

"Lugs" was the operative word and you were usual pulled to the ground by the ear!

Other CTS readers - not a private conversation, just trying to widen the memories. Nothing is exaggerated, that's how it was!