Central Technical School

PopT

That's him Alf Simpson.

I think Pop lived on a farm One of the stories was that he had a big mound at the gate where he stood guard with a shot gun!!

You are the exact opposite to me I enjoyed the practical side and naturally went on to be a practical engineer, gradually working my way up the ladder into management.

I then went into social work for a few years also did some IT lecturing, but for the last 5 I have been in an admin roll (a wiz with spreadsheets). I have also developed a number of websites, including an e business site for a friend selling Motox gear.

My practical skills now directed to maintaining my youngest sons motox bike.

Hi Malcolm, Just to go over your points raised. I held a "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" attitude when on supply but I felt (confirmed by others) that Myers Grove deteriorated when it lost its V1 form (political - I gather).

I think the tall French guy might be Ron Underdown who also taught English?

Albert Bunn was dark and tall with a moustache which assumed a Gallic shape when he said "une". Ron had quite a presence and carried out his canings in front of the whole class - with force. Quite terrifying really.

Your description of Ian Turner - spot on. I seemed to remember his joining the police force? John Garside did play trombone. A mate of mine at that time who was probably your age was John Concannon who was usually in the group of us going to Wednesday away games.

I look at old photographs and say to myself, 'that's so and so, I know him' etc and then I look at the dates and it can't be those people. Everyone looks so similar. The name of Brian Carnell is familiar but I wouldn't recognise him. Sorry to hear of his death.

Pop Gregory - anecdotes? many, legendary but from what Roy Wolstenholme subsequenly told me, not all were rumour! Character and a half, I'd say! Allegedly had an Aladdin's Cave in Holly Building. I heard he didn't need to teach, made his money on cattle at Barnsley Market?

You mention "Tinsmithing" - that was held in an annexe opposite the Library Theatre, just behind where the Crucible now stands. The two beaks at my time were Ken Westnedge (may be Westnidge?) and Williams. I hated it, as I did all the practical subjects. One might ask why I attended the school?

Thank God for Maths! Soldering and folding to make a wretched ashtray! It usually resulted in a teacher-held mallet appearing near my head! Some posters, elsewhere have referred to the 'violence' but it wasn't unique to CTS.

"There is the door" - if you don't like it. For selective schools, you were deemed fortunate and adviced to make the best of it. Thus, it became a bit of a culture shock to many teachers of that vintage, myself included, when schools changed and nobody had a workable solution for those recalcitrants at the bottom end.

Maybe the Mechanics teacher was Alf Simpson, one of the avuncular types. Pupils were rude to him without good reason. He was a little deaf and pupils took advantage (which is why you don't give them an inch!). They'd say;"Sir you're daft" - "What was that boy?", "Sir there's a draught, can we shut t'windows?" I was quite happy with Alf in EWP just draw-filing all afternoon, blisters and all - rather than risk the wrath of Charlie Baines next door. We were making those flat drill gauges which became used for shove penny games on the balcony of Firth Hall at lunchtimes!

As you may have seen on those links for MILTED, there are some photos and the likes of "Toffee" (Thornton) appear. The 'Builders' had Thornton, Hunter and Crisp to contend with. The 'Engineers' had Baines, Westnedge, Simpson. Baines had a sidekick called Stacey. Wasn't he workshop technician?

Across Bow Yard to the Patternmaking and Foundry areas, there was Davis, Jarvis - who had a Dan Dare-style jaw - Don Woolhouse and Gordon Saul. Mr. Saul once had to take me to the Royal Hospital with a spliced thumb. I was doing a job for him and took my eye off the scriber! Stupid boy!!

"Sand Bashing" was painless until you came to turn over the core box preparatory to setting the 'riser peg' and found you'd rammed it the wrong way round!

"Lugs" was the operative word and you were usual pulled to the ground by the ear!

Other CTS readers - not a private conversation, just trying to widen the memories. Nothing is exaggerated, that's how it was!

You mentioned Crisp CHAIRBOY, and my whole body shuddered in anticipation of a painful yardstick across the behind. That man was a sadist. :(

You mentioned Crisp CHAIRBOY, and my whole body shuddered in anticipation of a painful yardstick across the behind. That man was a sadist. :(

Outsiders reading this thread have already suggested the school seemed full of sadists!! Crisp was confined to "Builders" but I'd know him straight away on a photo. Roy Wostenholme once brought a staff picture in and we went through the names. Any other memories you'd like to share?

I'd be interested to know how many of those early 60's teachers are still with us? One who is, and he hasn't changed at all, I had the pleasure of doing supply alongside him at Tapton, is Peter Lee - the proverbial Peter Pan.

During the protests over the initial Firth Hall plans, I read a letter from Don Charlesworth who was based around Northallerton area, I think, and likewise Ken Westnedge in Suffolk. Frank Groarke is/was the Union rep for AMMA and he was often a visitor during my time at High Storrs. I have read some of the Ashleigh threads (left by then) and some masters carried on there. I remember the name of Mr.Tizzard but can't remember his subject? Another name just come into mind and I think he taught Maths, Terry Wiggett.

I thought of something this morning during my bath! Pupils with long hair getting changed into boilersuits for EWP. They used to plaster their hair down with water and sweep it into a DA at the back - as if Baines and Westnedge came up the River Don on a bike!

Hi Malcolm, Just to go over your points raised. I held a "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" attitude when on supply but I felt (confirmed by others) that Myers Grove deteriorated when it lost its V1 form (political - I gather).

I think the tall French guy might be Ron Underdown who also taught English?

Albert Bunn was dark and tall with a moustache which assumed a Gallic shape when he said "une". Ron had quite a presence and carried out his canings in front of the whole class - with force. Quite terrifying really.

Your description of Ian Turner - spot on. I seemed to remember his joining the police force? John Garside did play trombone. A mate of mine at that time who was probably your age was John Concannon who was usually in the group of us going to Wednesday away games.

I look at old photographs and say to myself, 'that's so and so, I know him' etc and then I look at the dates and it can't be those people. Everyone looks so similar. The name of Brian Carnell is familiar but I wouldn't recognise him. Sorry to hear of his death.

Pop Gregory - anecdotes? many, legendary but from what Roy Wolstenholme subsequenly told me, not all were rumour! Character and a half, I'd say! Allegedly had an Aladdin's Cave in Holly Building. I heard he didn't need to teach, made his money on cattle at Barnsley Market?

You mention "Tinsmithing" - that was held in an annexe opposite the Library Theatre, just behind where the Crucible now stands. The two beaks at my time were Ken Westnedge (may be Westnidge?) and Williams. I hated it, as I did all the practical subjects. One might ask why I attended the school?

Thank God for Maths! Soldering and folding to make a wretched ashtray! It usually resulted in a teacher-held mallet appearing near my head! Some posters, elsewhere have referred to the 'violence' but it wasn't unique to CTS.

"There is the door" - if you don't like it. For selective schools, you were deemed fortunate and adviced to make the best of it. Thus, it became a bit of a culture shock to many teachers of that vintage, myself included, when schools changed and nobody had a workable solution for those recalcitrants at the bottom end.

Maybe the Mechanics teacher was Alf Simpson, one of the avuncular types. Pupils were rude to him without good reason. He was a little deaf and pupils took advantage (which is why you don't give them an inch!). They'd say;"Sir you're daft" - "What was that boy?", "Sir there's a draught, can we shut t'windows?" I was quite happy with Alf in EWP just draw-filing all afternoon, blisters and all - rather than risk the wrath of Charlie Baines next door. We were making those flat drill gauges which became used for shove penny games on the balcony of Firth Hall at lunchtimes!

As you may have seen on those links for MILTED, there are some photos and the likes of "Toffee" (Thornton) appear. The 'Builders' had Thornton, Hunter and Crisp to contend with. The 'Engineers' had Baines, Westnedge, Simpson. Baines had a sidekick called Stacey. Wasn't he workshop technician?

Across Bow Yard to the Patternmaking and Foundry areas, there was Davis, Jarvis - who had a Dan Dare-style jaw - Don Woolhouse and Gordon Saul. Mr. Saul once had to take me to the Royal Hospital with a spliced thumb. I was doing a job for him and took my eye off the scriber! Stupid boy!!

"Sand Bashing" was painless until you came to turn over the core box preparatory to setting the 'riser peg' and found you'd rammed it the wrong way round!

"Lugs" was the operative word and you were usual pulled to the ground by the ear!

Other CTS readers - not a private conversation, just trying to widen the memories. Nothing is exaggerated, that's how it was!

I was also rubbish at practical subjects I hated "Pugnose" Ken Westnedge horrible little man.I liked Wolstenholm & Underwood both had a sense of humour & Don Woolhouse was a gentleman.

Thanks David for those comments. Good guys that trio. In fairness to Ken, I think it was just something about teachers not to let one's guard drop. I spoke to him subsequently in the now defunct King's Head at Crosspool and he was fine. I think he was head or deputy of Faraday House and it was hard luck for anyone with de-merits! There ought to be a 'whacko' smilie!

I know from personal experience; comments, writing on desks etc "XYZ that a *******!" It told me I was doing a good job!

Do you remember making a surface gauge where you had to shape a tiered base? I think I was so good at decimals because I was s**t-scared of taking too much cut off, for fear of KW and CB. We had to go on the nurling machine and then had to harden and temper the spike or whatever it is called. We also made a pair of calipers where we had to use the ball-pan hammer to rivet them together, temper them and then clean them all up with emery paper? These practical lessons at that time made for sleepless nights. How wonderful to hear Gilbert Thompson on tinsmithing days say in assembly: "Substitute duties today for Mr.Westnedge.":clap:

Outsiders reading this thread have already suggested the school seemed full of sadists!! Crisp was confined to "Builders" but I'd know him straight away on a photo. Roy Wostenholme once brought a staff picture in and we went through the names. Any other memories you'd like to share?

I'd be interested to know how many of those early 60's teachers are still with us? One who is, and he hasn't changed at all, I had the pleasure of doing supply alongside him at Tapton, is Peter Lee - the proverbial Peter Pan.

During the protests over the initial Firth Hall plans, I read a letter from Don Charlesworth who was based around Northallerton area, I think, and likewise Ken Westnedge in Suffolk. Frank Groarke is/was the Union rep for AMMA and he was often a visitor during my time at High Storrs. I have read some of the Ashleigh threads (left by then) and some masters carried on there. I remember the name of Mr.Tizzard but can't remember his subject? Another name just come into mind and I think he taught Maths, Terry Wiggett.

I thought of something this morning during my bath! Pupils with long hair getting changed into boilersuits for EWP. They used to plaster their hair down with water and sweep it into a DA at the back - as if Baines and Westnedge came up the River Don on a bike!

Hi Chairboy,

Tizard took me for Maths either in 1963 or 1964.

I was a Building student at CTS from 1955 to 1959 - I have very fond memories and fail to understand those who found no value in the education - it was years ahead of its time - the skills led me into the building industry and then central government where I stayed for 40 years - travelling the world and enjoying every minute of it. Yes there was by modern standards a brutality that does not exist in schools today - but just look at the state of education and the level of acheivement. CTS was a motivator in all aspects from learning to personal discipline - I rememger trying to get my finger tip length jacket ( full on fashion in 1957) passed Thornton and Wadge by hitching it up and trying to walk on tip toes to shorten it. My arse still stings!

All the old names from gentlemen to sadists are in this thread - long may the memories live on !

I was a Building student at CTS from 1955 to 1959 - I have very fond memories and fail to understand those who found no value in the education - it was years ahead of its time - the skills led me into the building industry and then central government where I stayed for 40 years - travelling the world and enjoying every minute of it. Yes there was by modern standards a brutality that does not exist in schools today - but just look at the state of education and the level of acheivement. CTS was a motivator in all aspects from learning to personal discipline - I rememger trying to get my finger tip length jacket ( full on fashion in 1957) passed Thornton and Wadge by hitching it up and trying to walk on tip toes to shorten it. My arse still stings!

All the old names from gentlemen to sadists are in this thread - long may the memories live on !

I was an engineering student a little later !963-1967 a great school although I was not that techinical apart from maths my subjects were arts related.

I loved sport and played for the 2nd eleven football team under 14 cricket team,2nd eleven cricket team and 1st eleven for two years as opening batsmen and also House captain of cricket of Faraday House.

• 2 weeks later...

In Saturday 30 June's Sheffield Star, there was a 1959 photograph of form 6Y on which "Toffee" was shown at the helm. The Star always seems to mention Joe Cocker (pictured) - and with relation to the previous two threads - I have read several times that Cocker is reputed to "have hated the school and couldn't wait to leave."

This is something far removed from myself and DavidRa who merely pointed out that we weren't very able at many of the practical skills the school had on its curriculum.

• 3 months later...