Central Technical School

PopT

What years were you there Gemini17? Would it have included '65 - '67?

I ask because you may have mentioned my name on the class register you posted.

I was in Engineering, '63 thru '67. Is Saxon51 an obvious connection? If I remember correctly, there were a few Gills, with one pairing being older and younger brothers, much like the Staley brothers. Am I recalling correctly? Andy? That comes to mind.

I do recall Pete Gill very well, and he knows me from various bands, like one very obvious band and Geddes Axe, who opened for Saxon at Sheffield City Hall. I'd got that arranged via Tim Parsons at MCP, via a message from (Hi! I'm....) Colin Slade (from Radio Hallam.....).

Another Saxon-esque connection..... I recall The Glitter Band were originally one of the bands you saw regularly at The Mucky Duck, The International Band.

Everyone knew me as Willie at CTS, and before, and after, and at The Esquire. Very original name for a DJ. NOT!

Apparently, I could do Maths standing on my head, which was from how I used to lean to one side and squint at the board, even when I sat at the front... until I got my Hank Buddy style glasses for reading.

Some of us in Engineers had friends from previous schools in Builders. I seem to remember our year, from our start in Sept '63, Engineers and Builders got on better than other years. We always beat City Grammar to anyone arriving at the City Hall too, especially when The Stones came!

How many also remember some lunchtime shows down in the City Hall Ballroom? I think those were around the time Radio Sheffield was having its launch. A couple of those groups, as we called them back then, had eventually very famous players. Neil Christian's Crusaders, with Jimmy Page on guitar. Richie Blackmore was there too, in another band.

Does that prompt any memories?

Edited by LazerBil

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
does anybody remember' killer whittem'? my old man said he used to punch yer on the arm all the time he was talking to you

Glynn

If you mean Fred in Metalwork, he always had a thing about students draping their fingers anywhere near the headstck of a lathe. "Tek thee hand out of cogs, thaal spoil spoil cogs.

Reg Dicksn "A" class- Mr Dove 42/45

• 1 month later...

recently came across this thread.Very interesting views on the CTS, I was there '63-68 in engineering.Saw my name mentioned by LazerBill, I do remember some of the other names mentioned,I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the tech & left to join the post office telephones before finishing my A levels, along with Phil Anderson & Adrian Jarvis I played in the "guitar group" under the eye of Sally Hughes, we played at quite a few speech days, even one at hurlfield girls Christmas '68 after I had left, still in touch with Phil, Adrian turned professional drummer & moved to Jersey.Maybe able to attend an OB meeting one day at the Leopold....I will keep my eye on this thread for any more memories & views. Sparra (as was)

recently came across this thread.Very interesting views on the CTS, I was there '63-68 in engineering.Saw my name mentioned by LazerBill, I do remember some of the other names mentioned,I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the tech & left to join the post office telephones before finishing my A levels, along with Phil Anderson & Adrian Jarvis I played in the "guitar group" under the eye of Sally Hughes, we played at quite a few speech days, even one at hurlfield girls Christmas '68 after I had left, still in touch with Phil, Adrian turned professional drummer & moved to Jersey.Maybe able to attend an OB meeting one day at the Leopold....I will keep my eye on this thread for any more memories & views. Sparra (as was)

Hi peterg,

I went to CTS 63/64 and also was in engineering, I to left 67/68 to work at the post office telephones (GPO at West Street and Eldon House) The training officer at Eldon was Linskill.

Did you go to Kinholme in Otley. The people at CTS that I remember are Steve Nicholson, Brian Chapman, Phill Drabble, Andy Mulhearn, Steve Carnell, and Steve Smith and many more. What house were you in, me it was Besimer and our house master was Don Woolhouse the Tec Drawing Master.

At the PO the names I remember are Trev Casswell, Dave Wragg, David Pinchbeck and again many more.

Regards

Dave Theaker

Hi Sandie,your names familiar but I can't place you,however I do know the Daves you mentioned quite well. I looked after Barnsley Exchange (with others) for 17 years then worked in Leeds in control & CPC then Broadband diagnostics (for want of a better description. I've retired now thank goodness, it has all changed for the worse. However back to the Tech, can't remember which house I was in

but did enjoy my time there, I was at leopold st for a year & moved to gleadless,

I remember Dagnall, Denial, Gilbert, Rogers, Townend, Harris, Morris to name but a few of my peers. Phil Anderson me so I will tell him about this site when I see him, I'm sure now I have the stimulus more memories will surface.My nickname was given by Mr Green (english) but I prefer my given name, cheers Pete Gilmartin

Hi Sandie,your names familiar but I can't place you,however I do know the Daves you mentioned quite well. I looked after Barnsley Exchange (with others) for 17 years then worked in Leeds in control & CPC then Broadband diagnostics (for want of a better description. I've retired now thank goodness, it has all changed for the worse. However back to the Tech, can't remember which house I was in

but did enjoy my time there, I was at leopold st for a year & moved to gleadless,

I remember Dagnall, Denial, Gilbert, Rogers, Townend, Harris, Morris to name but a few of my peers. Phil Anderson me so I will tell him about this site when I see him, I'm sure now I have the stimulus more memories will surface.My nickname was given by Mr Green (english) but I prefer my given name, cheers Pete Gilmartin

Back to the Tech, there was Pop Gregory chemistry, Grourke Physics, Miffy French can't remember the maths teacher, but he was good. The history teacher not sure of his name, but it was called Social and Economic History.

And when Roger Taylor was playing at Wimbeldon the School stopped.

Can you remember the tuck shop at Gleedles it was great. The last time I had potato Puffs.

What memories