Central Technical School

PopT

'Wadgey' in my period went upmarket in auto's and bought an Austin 105R in

two tone Brown over Cream Reg YWB 82. I had the distinct pleasure in stuffing

a potato up the tailpipe as my token of respect on leaving that pinicle of

learning !! The class of '59 photograh now adorns the wall of the Leopold Hotel

with non flattering images of Rodger Taylor (tennis) Joe Cocker (music) and a

very Quiffed, 'slim jim tie' wearing yours truly (nondescript)

Used to buy old Len Shipley a pint or two in the Bulls Head at Ranmoor before

he died - just to show my appreciation for him frequently tanning my backside

with a slipper during his lessons !

'Wadgey' in my period went upmarket in auto's and bought an Austin 105R in

two tone Brown over Cream Reg YWB 82. I had the distinct pleasure in stuffing

a potato up the tailpipe as my token of respect on leaving that pinicle of

learning !!

I just remember that (I started in '60), can you remember any other cars in that car-park? I seem to remember a Rover 90?

remember the Green rover - but cannot remember the 'Master' who owned it ! quaint !!

Tell me was the guy who tought bricklaying a bloke called Crisp? Know doubt he is now !!

Yes, he also taught a bit of building drawing, which came in useful as back in 1995 or so, and based on this I drew up a complete internal renovation on a 2 bedroom house and had it passed.

Did Pop Gregory use his Land Rover at the time? I once saw him years later coming out of the paper shop at Wadsley Bridge, resplendent in plus-fours and all the rest of his shooting regalia, in fact I attended a few of his clay-pigeon shoots at Grenoside.

About '68-'69 I saw Toffee Thornton drinking in his local near the topside of Crookes, I overheard him using the broadest Yorkshire you could imagine

Unusually in our school there was for a while a young woman of French extraction (a student teacher I guess), rather easier on the eye than our usual French teachers. The class I was in – 5 something or other – always in danger of killing a goose that could lay a golden egg, rather showed off in one of her lessons and Mr King had to wade in to sort us out. Does anybody remember that? We were in one of those classrooms in Cathedral School, off the top corridor above the Dining Hall (just down the corridor perhaps from the Physics lab where you took a beating with a thin cane no doubt – the very sight of which kept me on the straight and narrow).

Just spotted your post- I was probably in that class, I threw a paper plane in the direction of said teacher, she reported it to King, and I got wacked in some room at the other end of the corridor!

1947 to 1950.

Wadge. Headmaster.

Dove. English.

Hunter. Woodwork and Technical Dwg.

Faulkner. Geography.

Stanton. (Major) Maths.

Gregory. Building Science.

?????? Scripture.

Cognoscenti. Italian. (Expert)

I'm copying this ad verbatim from a letter in the 'Times' today, Monday Dec; 14th. I thought it might be of interest.

Sir, I left my technical school in Sheffield in 1949 after a three-year course. I was nearly 17when I left. The subjects were history, mathematics, physics, mechanics, chemistry, machine drawing, drawing, English, French, geography, metalwork and woodwork. we were also instructed in pattern-making, moulding, and metallurgy.

When I finished school I joined the Royal Navy as a stoker, by this time too old for an apprentice entry. After 23 years' service I retired as an engineer lieutenant. You will see why I am in favour of this type of education.

K. Miller

Plymstock, Devon.

And all I can say is 'Amen' to that. Texas.

There has been letters recently in the Times about technical schools, called Vocational training colleges, one guy said if we were to have these colleges there would be no time to teach general subjects. Today the Times published my letter listing the subjects taught at the CTS, it should put a stop to the arguement about our education.

I'm copying this ad verbatim from a letter in the 'Times' today, Monday Dec; 14th. I thought it might be of interest.

Sir, I left my technical school in Sheffield in 1949 after a three-year course. I was nearly 17when I left. The subjects were history, mathematics, physics, mechanics, chemistry, machine drawing, drawing, English, French, geography, metalwork and woodwork. we were also instructed in pattern-making, moulding, and metallurgy.

When I finished school I joined the Royal Navy as a stoker, by this time too old for an apprentice entry. After 23 years' service I retired as an engineer lieutenant. You will see why I am in favour of this type of education.

K. Miller

Plymstock, Devon.

And all I can say is 'Amen' to that. Texas.

You have said it all the education at CTS was second to non, we were taught the practical aspects and academic subjects that would face us when we left.

I still remember to this day the disapline and how to respect others. I feel privilidged to have received that strict education. As you I am a consultant engineer and it is all thanks to CTS

You're welcome Texas, I just had to reply to the over educated twerps who were saying that vocational training left no time for other subjects. I don't want to be too grumpy but the question arises, how did the Tech. manage to fit it all in ? I know some ex Techs have achieved high positions in business & industry, so why should we let the so-called experts get away with the rubbish they push.