Central Technical School

PopT

I was a pupil at the CTS for a period of 4 terms from September 1961 until Christmas 1962. I still think of my time there as being almost completely wasted. I was bright academically, being top of the top form at my secondary school, Wisewood, but went downhill all the way during my time at CTS. I came from Wisewood School which had a very fine headteacher A. W. Goodfellow and dedicated teachers who took time to get to know you and help as best they could, to the CTS where the teachers didn't even bother to find out your name. During 1962 the infamous yo-yo episode took place and I think involved most of my class. Myself and another lad were keen train-spotters and used to spend lunch-times at the Victoria or Midland stations. We came back from lunch to an empty classroom and sat there like idiots until spotted by a passing teacher. When we explained where we had been we were pilloried by the staff for not joining in with our classmates felonious endeavours. I don't remember any canings but my work went steadily downhill and I "progressed" from 3A to 5B. My parents decided enough was enough and removed me from school after I managed to secure a craft apprenticeship with a very good Sheffield employer. From that point I never looked back and obtained good higher-education qualifications and stayed in employment until my retirement a few years ago. I realise many ex-pupils enjoyed their time at CTS but I'm afraid I found the teaching methods to belong to an era that had existed 50 years before my time there. The antics of Mr. Wadge who seemed to believe that he was in charge of a public school I found risible at times. I remember that the groundsman at Ringinglow sports ground did a very fine impression of Mr. Wadge waddling about on stage imploying us to higher efforts on the sports field.

I know that some ex-pupils will disagree with me but the fact that I can remember very few names of staff or pupils but almost all of the names at my previous school speaks volumes.

I was a pupil at the CTS for a period of 4 terms from September 1961 until Christmas 1962. I still think of my time there as being almost completely wasted. I was bright academically, being top of the top form at my secondary school, Wisewood, but went downhill all the way during my time at CTS. I came from Wisewood School which had a very fine headteacher A. W. Goodfellow and dedicated teachers who took time to get to know you and help as best they could, to the CTS where the teachers didn't even bother to find out your name. During 1962 the infamous yo-yo episode took place and I think involved most of my class. Myself and another lad were keen train-spotters and used to spend lunch-times at the Victoria or Midland stations. We came back from lunch to an empty classroom and sat there like idiots until spotted by a passing teacher. When we explained where we had been we were pilloried by the staff for not joining in with our classmates felonious endeavours. I don't remember any canings but my work went steadily downhill and I "progressed" from 3A to 5B. My parents decided enough was enough and removed me from school after I managed to secure a craft apprenticeship with a very good Sheffield employer. From that point I never looked back and obtained good higher-education qualifications and stayed in employment until my retirement a few years ago. I realise many ex-pupils enjoyed their time at CTS but I'm afraid I found the teaching methods to belong to an era that had existed 50 years before my time there. The antics of Mr. Wadge who seemed to believe that he was in charge of a public school I found risible at times. I remember that the groundsman at Ringinglow sports ground did a very fine impression of Mr. Wadge waddling about on stage imploying us to higher efforts on the sports field.

I know that some ex-pupils will disagree with me but the fact that I can remember very few names of staff or pupils but almost all of the names at my previous school speaks volumes.

I also left Wisewood 61/62 for CTS

I also left Wisewood 61/62 to go to CTS as did David Jowell, we went to Leopold street first then went to the new school at Gleedles

My form teacher at Wisewood was Haydock a good teacher, but liked to use the cane.

as you my memory fades with time 2 of the girls I remember was Jane Harper and Cathline Harrison, also the name Bartlett brother and sister.

My name is Dave Theaker

Hi Sandie,

I think I must have been in the year ahead of you. I missed the exam at 13 because of illness and did 3 years at Wisewood. 1958/59 form 1.1 (form teacher Mr. Croft), 1959/60 form 2.1 (form teacher Mr. Gregory), and 1960/61 Form 3.1 (form teacher I think Mr. Haydock in the upstairs room above the science lab). Mr. Gregory took an instant strange dislike to me and despite my high marks and reasonable conduct, made me sit in the waste-paper basket by the door. This, of course spurred me to even greater efforts. We all thought this highly amusing as we all knew that I hadn't done anything wrong and soon the other teachers started to ask what was going on. The upshot was that one morning he didn't turn up and eventually we were taught by other staff until the year end. We were told that he had been admitted to "hospital" for treatment. Strangely this episode didn't faze me at all and I loved every moment at Wisewood especially the treks over Wadsley Common at lunchtimes. I missed the transfer to Gleadless from West Street but remember wintery scrambles down to Cathedral School and the tinsmith-ing behind the Lyceum. Also the little suitcases that we had to carry everywhere with our books and kit. One Saturday morning I decided I better do my homework early and opened my case to discover that I'd picked up an identical case belonging to a classmate. I had to travel across town to swop it, the other lad was adamant he'd got the right case until he opened it.

HD

Hi Sandie,

I think I must have been in the year ahead of you. I missed the exam at 13 because of illness and did 3 years at Wisewood. 1958/59 form 1.1 (form teacher Mr. Croft), 1959/60 form 2.1 (form teacher Mr. Gregory), and 1960/61 Form 3.1 (form teacher I think Mr. Haydock in the upstairs room above the science lab). Mr. Gregory took an instant strange dislike to me and despite my high marks and reasonable conduct, made me sit in the waste-paper basket by the door. This, of course spurred me to even greater efforts. We all thought this highly amusing as we all knew that I hadn't done anything wrong and soon the other teachers started to ask what was going on. The upshot was that one morning he didn't turn up and eventually we were taught by other staff until the year end. We were told that he had been admitted to "hospital" for treatment. Strangely this episode didn't faze me at all and I loved every moment at Wisewood especially the treks over Wadsley Common at lunchtimes. I missed the transfer to Gleadless from West Street but remember wintery scrambles down to Cathedral School and the tinsmith-ing behind the Lyceum. Also the little suitcases that we had to carry everywhere with our books and kit. One Saturday morning I decided I better do my homework early and opened my case to discover that I'd picked up an identical case belonging to a classmate. I had to travel across town to swop it, the other lad was adamant he'd got the right case until he opened it.

HD

I remember Wisewood with a fondnes, at lunch time we wouold go across the road to the local shop a bread cake and a packet of crisps and next door to the sweet shop. As I lived at Marchwood Road at the top of Holme lane I had to use 2 buses the 82 Rosco Bank and If I remember it was the 14 from Mailin Bridge to the School, from memory we had French lessons in portable buildings oposite the science block.

I also remember when the School was bieng decorated and we had to move classrooms. Happy days, but it was 46 years ago.

Take Care

• 2 weeks later...
Good afternoon :help:

Anybody out there from from 3.6 in 1966.

The roll call went something like.......

beeley, bradshaw, brailey, colley, fidler, freeman, gillott, godbehere, hatfield, heath, kirk, marsden, maskrey, mirfin (murfin?), mosley, parramore, pinder, sargent, smith, thomas, wilson.....

Apologies if the 54 year old brain has forgotten aybody

steve beeley

just found this thread and found it interesting i was there from 66 to 69 class 3-1 in 66 with mr jarvis. i can remember most of those names above, godbehere lived in the shop at gleadless town end if i rmember remember bradshaw went to play football for burnley and wednesday i think

mel

I was a CTS student in the early 60's. Does anyone remember where we used to hike to for our school dinners?

I started in the Builders in 1960. We used to walk down Vicar Lane to the Queen St buildings where the dining room was, remember? For sports we were took in a double decker somewhere up Ecclesall? Can't quite remember that location.

I started in the Builders in 1960. We used to walk down Vicar Lane to the Queen St buildings where the dining room was, remember? For sports we were took in a double decker somewhere up Ecclesall? Can't quite remember that location.

I went in 1963 until the move to Gleadless the sports were held somewhere at Ringinglow.

Hi, I didnt always stay for dinner, but to the best of my knowledge it was " Cathedral Buildings" on North Church Street, bottom of Paradise square and opposite the current Morton Slack solicitors building= I can still smell the large galvanizred locking tubs that held the mashed potato !.