Central Technical School

PopT

I remember most of the teachers - especially those who taught the technical subjects - Ken Westnedge, Mr Lord, Sam Crisp but fail to remember the guy who did foundry practice - great times playing with molten aluminium!!

Was a great school that gave an opportunity to those who like me, were not ready for the 11 plus exam.

I remember most of the teachers - especially those who taught the technical subjects - Ken Westing, Mr Lord, Sam Crisp but fail to remember the guy who did foundry practice - great times playing with molten aluminum!!

Was a great school that gave an opportunity to those who like me, were not ready for the 11 plus exam.

Well said we had a second chance at 13 and we were given a strict regime that prepared us with knowledge and discipline for the years ahead.

It was not easy by any means, but at 60 it taught me manners and the ability to think for myself and treat others with respect.

Don Woolhouse was my House Master and what a great person, in fact from Pop Gregory to Sally Hughes I look back and feel privileged to receive that education.

Well said we had a second chance at 13 and we were given a strict regime that prepared us with knowledge and discipline for the years ahead.

It was not easy by any means, but at 60 it taught me manners and the ability to think for myself and treat others with respect.

Don Woolhouse was my House Master and what a great person, in fact from Pop Gregory to Sally Hughes I look back and feel privileged to receive that education.

I clearly remember Albie Bunn who taught English, who was a gentleman in the true sense - gentle in his nature and manners - a role model. as for the discipline, I really think that has been lost today, I know that I benefited from it at the time and still am a desperate time keeper!!

Whilst I did not achieve a lot at school, I did go on, through day release and night school to become a high ranking manager with a Scottish local authority until last year. I do believe that the school gave me a sound grounding in all the elements of manners, caring, determination and resilience.

When were you at CTS Sandie ?

I clearly remember Albie Bunn who taught English, who was a gentleman in the true sense - gentle in his nature and manners - a role model. as for the discipline, I really think that has been lost today, I know that I benefited from it at the time and still am a desperate time keeper!!

Whilst I did not achieve a lot at school, I did go on, through day release and night school to become a high ranking manager with a Scottish local authority until last year. I do believe that the school gave me a sound grounding in all the elements of manners, caring, determination and resilience.

When were you at CTS Sandie ?

Hi Oldm,

I was there from 64 to 68 we moved from the town centre to Gleedless and I remember most of my time there. We used to go to the Punch Bowl pub to have a fag and of course we had Hurfield girls at the side my first love I met over the fence while we were playing rugby. Those were the days, but Pop Gregory caught ut at the punch Bowl smoking and I remember I had a pack of 10 Gold leaf, he made me smoke the rest in the school playing fields where I was sick. Then I got 3 strokes of his cane.

My name is Dave Theaker the ones I remember are Steve Nicholson, Brian Chapman and many more.

Very fond memories

Dave

Hi Oldm,

I was there from 64 to 68 we moved from the town centre to Gleedless and I remember most of my time there. We used to go to the Punch Bowl pub to have a fag and of course we had Hurfield girls at the side my first love I met over the fence while we were playing rugby. Those were the days, but Pop Gregory caught ut at the punch Bowl smoking and I remember I had a pack of 10 Gold leaf, he made me smoke the rest in the school playing fields where I was sick. Then I got 3 strokes of his cane.

My name is Dave Theaker the ones I remember are Steve Nicholson, Brian Chapman and many more.

Very fond memories

Dave

My name is Andrew Hickling and you would probably be a couple of years ahead of me. I will always remember being in assembly when Mr Thornton stood up and shouted "Is Potter in the hall" - it sounded completely strange and not what we heard! A strange man who taught Physics and went into the back room of the lab for a quite smoke every now and then through the class. happy days - Gold Leaf fags - then a day you could buy 5 Park Drive always handy for us aspiring smokers! I can remember a guy called David Henshall and Ian Sen whose dad owned the Cutlers Arms at the top of Leighton Road.

I remember most of the teachers - especially those who taught the technical subjects - Ken Westnedge, Mr Lord, Sam Crisp but fail to remember the guy who did foundry practice - great times playing with molten aluminium!!

Even though I think that I must have daydreamed through my CTS years (1960-1963),some teaching must have stuck as I ended up with a trade and full employment. Even Sally Hughes caned me!

• 2 weeks later...
My name is Andrew Hickling and you would probably be a couple of years ahead of me. I will always remember being in assembly when Mr Thornton stood up and shouted "Is Potter in the hall" - it sounded completely strange and not what we heard! A strange man who taught Physics and went into the back room of the lab for a quite smoke every now and then through the class. happy days - Gold Leaf fags - then a day you could buy 5 Park Drive always handy for us aspiring smokers! I can remember a guy called David Henshall and Ian Sen whose dad owned the Cutlers Arms at the top of Leighton Road.

I remember Ian Senn he was in the same year as me recall one day after school that he and an older lad called John Wragg squared up to each other and I missed my bus home because we all stayed to watch!Think it ended in a draw.

Some other names that come to mind are Andrew Henderson,Paul Frost,Paul Barber,Steve Wattam,Paul? Hetherington,John Broughton,Ian Hague and Paul Leather.Anyone remember these and any other names of that era that I may have known?

Is anyone of my vintage still around, I was there from 46-49, in my last year Frank Merrill was the school captain , I was deputy captain. My mate was Charles Plant , afraid my memory of other names is rather hazy. It was a brilliant school which taught many subjects far more than are taught today. The education I received was second to none.

• 3 weeks later...

To Bethsmummy. My sentence was 1963-66 [building] and left when the school was at Gleadless. Originally wanted to stop and do GCE's, however CSE's were being introduced so decided to leave [building Diploma 2nd Class] and move forward. I was able to choose from several jobs offered [not like today's unfortunate school leavers]. My subsequent employers were always well satisfied with my schooling and I furthered my career via further education. Had no problems with the teaching staff but did not like Mr. Howell - Sports Master [pretty sure it was mutual !]. Best policy to me was at CTS was 'Play The Game'. I do remember that we had to bring in notes for everything (sickness, lateness, etc.) and not to bother my parents - I usually wrote, signed my own and never got found out.