Central Technical School

PopT

I didn't go to the Central Technical School, but do know a Mr Bunn that was a teacher there, he taught French, English, and Scripture.

178 Patricia

Nice chap, I liked him. In one "scripture" lesson I remember one of my classmates making the audible comment "all this is rubbish" to which Mr Bunn retorted "people have been given the death sentence for making such remarks"!

• 1 month later...

Mr Bunn took our English class and was my form teacher at Central Tech a good chap,I have just read Terrence Russell's book "Forty years on" a good book(even if he was a "Builder") which brought back a lot of memories, he was there 1954 to 1959. I did not go until 1963 and only had one year at the old school the new school at Gleadless without Herbert Wadge was totally different.

You mention Mr. Bunn at CTS , and I was caned by him , for no reason , which I was a bit miffed. The perpetrator of this blame eluded the punishment and I did not squeal !

Wadge was a formidable Headmaster and I can imagine the school would not be the same without his leadership at the new location.

Russells book brilliant even though bias was Building.

Met him about 5 years ago an OBA dinner.

You mention Mr. Bunn at CTS , and I was caned by him , for no reason , which I was a bit miffed. The perpetrator of this blame eluded the punishment and I did not squeal !

Wadge was a formidable Headmaster and I can imagine the school would not be the same without his leadership at the new location.

Russells book brilliant even though bias was Building.

Met him about 5 years ago an OBA dinner.[/Qas it waUOTE]

Yes you sometimes got punished for things you had not done.

You also liked some teachers more than others, one I could not stand was Ken Westnedge who kicked me up the backside during metalwork, I was not very good at it and needless to say did not improve as I was nervous around him.Terence speaks highly of him and in fact he was an ex pupil at the Junior Technical School as it was called when it opened in 1933.