Central Technical School

PopT

Ey Up Bert'!, long time no see or hear from anybody who was with us in 3X/5y. Thinking about it, it's a bloody lifetime ago!. It's your old mucker Geoff Smith, originally from Wincobank, but now living in Rotherham for the past 55 years, (but still a Wendesdayite!! ). If it's ok, I will private message you and have a rabbit about old times. Nice to know their is still at least a couple of us left !!!.

Ey Up theesen Geoff,After all these years it is great to hear from you. We are often up/down the M1 and when we are passing Wincobank I always tell my wife "that's where my old mate Geoff Smith lived". She is sick of hearing it.

We live in Torquay now and I would love to see you again so come and stay with u. Please send me the Private message and I will tell you how to contact me, by phone/email.

Tek care of these and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. Bertie Marsden

---------- Post added 15-12-2016 at 16:17 ----------

Geoff, I have only just found out about this site and I cannot send private messages until I have 5 posts? whatever that means. If you can send then send the private message you mentioned.

After I departed CT I was educated enough by then to be able to sit and pass with very high marks the examinations for Artificer Apprentice. After 4 Years training I was set loose on the Fleet as an Ordnance Artificer 5th Class. 6 months later into Gunnery and Torpedo schools for advance training to qualify to be a Chief Petty Officer Ordnance Artificer. That rank was bestowed upon me in Jan.63. I left the R.N in Oct 68.

Went to work for International Aeradio Ltd in Southall. I was then seconded to the Kuwait Civil Aviation Department where I maintained radars and teleprinters. We were paid directly by the Kuwaitis. No income tax, free housing/electricity/water.

we were allowed 2 months leave /year and flew 1st class to London and back. The Arabs in general were and are very nice people contrary to my original thoughts when being posted to Kuwait. Don't worry I am not a convert to Islam. I am a Yorkshireman who speaks as he finds. Merry christmas to all my readers. Bertie M

---------- Post added 15-12-2016 at 16:37 ----------

I was at CTS 1962 to 1965 and I detested every single day. The day that I left was without doubt the greatest day of my life, even better than getting married or the birth of my children.

The staff were only interested in making you 'ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL'. Your education was of secondary importance to making you conform to their very narrowly defined dress code. I was actually sent home one day for wearing trousers that were an inch too narrow at the bottoms.

As for that evil man Herbert Wadge, all I can say is that the world is a far better place for his no longer being with us.

What finished it all for me was the day at Gleadless Road when I refused to be caned by Thornton the science teacher for something for which I wasn't responsible. Having been sent to see Wadge I was told by him to apologise to the teacher which I refused to do. The colour of his face lives with me to this day. He went purple with rage but I stood my ground and was sent home with a message for my mother to be at the school next morning.

That was probably the biggest mistake that old Herbert ever made. My mother gave him a right old rollocking and at a volume that I was assured could, quite literally, be heard all over the school. Herbert suffered a severe dent in the credibility stakes that day and I believe that he retired shortly afterwards. Good riddance! I never went back and was given early release by the Education Committee in February 1965.

I would love to know what became of my two best mates from the time that I was there. One was Derek Poole who lived in the Pitsmoor area and always wanted to join the Fire Brigade. He was affectionately known as Fred because of his striking resemblance to Fred Flintstone. The other was William (Billy) Harling who lived on Gleadless Road near the Carlton Club and was my best mate from our days at Hurlfield Boys School.

I agree entirely Wadge was a scumbag were I big enough I would have smacked him in the kisser. He was a child abuser I left CT dec 52 so he was still at it for years afterwards.

---------- Post added 15-12-2016 at 16:44 ----------

to hagardriley from bertiemarsde. I agree wholeheartedly with your thread Wdage was a child abuser and should have been in jail.

During a visit to sheffield some years ago I saw a Blue plaque on the old school wall telling the world about how wonderful this moron was. I should have ripped it off the wall. I departed SCTS Dec52 so from other threads it seems that Wadge went on beating children for years after my departure. Hope somebody forgives him I certainly do not.

---------- Post added 15-12-2016 at 16:48 ----------

Hopefully there are old school boys who remember how sick Herbert Wadge was. I would like such old boys to put their memories of him on air

• 3 months later...
Ey Up theesen Geoff,After all these years it is great to hear from you. We are often up/down the M1 and when we are passing Wincobank I always tell my wife "that's where my old mate Geoff Smith lived". She is sick of hearing it.

We live in Torquay now and I would love to see you again so come and stay with u. Please send me the Private message and I will tell you how to contact me, by phone/email.

Geoff, I have only just found out about this site and I cannot send private messages until I have 5 posts? whatever that means. If you can send then send the private message you mentioned.

After I departed CT I was educated enough by then to be able to sit and pass with very high marks the examinations for Artificer Apprentice. After 4 Years training I was set loose on the Fleet as an Ordnance Artificer 5th Class. 6 months later into Gunnery and Torpedo schools for advance training to qualify to be a Chief Petty Officer Ordnance Artificer. That rank was bestowed upon me in Jan.63. I left the R.N in Oct 68.

Went to work for International Aeradio Ltd in Southall. I was then seconded to the Kuwait Civil Aviation Department where I maintained radars and teleprinters. We were paid directly by the Kuwaitis. No income tax, free housing/electricity/water.

we were allowed 2 months leave /year and flew 1st class to London and back. The Arabs in general were and are very nice people contrary to my original thoughts when being posted to Kuwait. Don't worry I am not a convert to Islam. I am a Yorkshireman who speaks as he finds. Merry christmas to all my readers. Bertie M

I agree entirely Wadge was a scumbag were I big enough I would have smacked him in the kisser. He was a child abuser I left CT dec 52 so he was still at it for years afterwards.

to hagardriley from bertiemarsde. I agree wholeheartedly with your thread Wdage was a child abuser and should have been in jail.

During a visit to sheffield some years ago I saw a Blue plaque on the old school wall telling the world about how wonderful this moron was. I should have ripped it off the wall. I departed SCTS Dec52 so from other threads it seems that Wadge went on beating children for years after my departure. Hope somebody forgives him I certainly do not.

Hopefully there are old school boys who remember how sick Herbert Wadge was. I would like such old boys to put their memories of him on air

Only just discovered this CTS thread and not read all 33 pages yet. Was there 1957 to 62 the year before it moved I think. Pop Gregory (chemistry) is one teacher I remember along with Bee (maths I think) who I witness getting nutted by one of my classmates.

Herbert Wadge read everybodies end of term report.If there was something that he didn,t like you had to see him. The queue used to stretch from his room up the stairs to the lab.You might have to wait days before he saw you and caned you. Pop Gregory often caned the entire class to get the guilty person.We had a lot of 6 footers and he was about 5 foot tall.!!!! I wonder if that TV series Wacko was based on the Tech. The Tech,s reputation was such that it got me a job as an apprentice electrician at Brown Bayleys and a lifetimes full employment.Brown Bayleys took a lot of Tec boys .

Bertiemarsde, from your post it would seem we are probably about the same era. I was at the Tech. from 46 to 49. If my memory is correct were RN Apprentice Candidates taken before the age of 16 (2nd year at the Tech.). I completed the full course at the Tech. I wanted to join the MN but there were long waiting lists, so off to the RN recruiting office, too old for an Apprentice I joined as a Junior Stoker. I did the Mechanicians course in 55 to 56. Was promoted to S/Lt ME, Special Duties List in 1963. I left in 72 as a Lieut. placed on retired list, own request. I seem to remember one lad called Hatherly from my year who joined the RN apprentices. Does any of this make sense?

• 4 months later...

Just wondering if anyone remembered Bill Peatfield who went to Central Tech until 1946. He then did his apprenticeship at Davy United followed by National Service in Malaya. He worked at several firms including Firth Browns before becoming an instructor at the Rehabilitation Centre at Handsworth. Bill sadly died recently and we were trying to trace people who knew him.

Having attended CTS (Engineers) and leaving in 1963, I have very mixed and mostly disappointing memories of the place.

Coming from a less privileged background, as many did, after failing the 11+ largely as a result of comparatively poor teaching, lack of coaching and family loss, it was at least a slight second chance but nothing more. It certainly didn't suit my educational needs which were not practically inclined at all. I largely view my years there as a wasteful sadness with little motivation to keep on, other than what came from within based on the rather naïve belief that hard work would be rewarded.

Perhaps this saved me from further discouragement and the alleged sad treatment that some report. I was glad to leave.

Ironically, I simply went across the yard and started work at the old Education Department which was a much happier place.

The reform of education which introduced technical schools was itself socially naïve but was well meant as an effort to tap lost potential.

I did, eventually succeed but it took a long time to gain the postgraduate and professional qualifications to do so and no thanks to the old school.

Now, looking back, what a waste of the potential which must have been passing, unseen or ignored, through the school apart from those who did achieve, luckily, as a result, or in spite of, the education given there.

A few years ago, whilst looking round the old school site, I met another old pupil who suggested joining the old boys' association. For some, it must have been a gainful experience, but not for me. I feel sad that the education received there failed so many like myself but it was the system and not necessarily the school which should be blamed and, sadly, state education has continued to fail us for the last fifty or more years.

Having attended CTS (Engineers) and leaving in 1963, I have very mixed and mostly disappointing memories of the place.

Coming from a less privileged background, as many did, after failing the 11+ largely as a result of comparatively poor teaching, lack of coaching and family loss, it was at least a slight second chance but nothing more. It certainly didn't suit my educational needs which were not practically inclined at all. I largely view my years there as a wasteful sadness with little motivation to keep on, other than what came from within based on the rather naïve belief that hard work would be rewarded.

Perhaps this saved me from further discouragement and the alleged sad treatment that some report. I was glad to leave.

Ironically, I simply went across the yard and started work at the old Education Department which was a much happier place.

The reform of education which introduced technical schools was itself socially naïve but was well meant as an effort to tap lost potential.

I did, eventually succeed but it took a long time to gain the postgraduate and professional qualifications to do so and no thanks to the old school.

Now, looking back, what a waste of the potential which must have been passing, unseen or ignored, through the school apart from those who did achieve, luckily, as a result, or in spite of, the education given there.

A few years ago, whilst looking round the old school site, I met another old pupil who suggested joining the old boys' association. For some, it must have been a gainful experience, but not for me. I feel sad that the education received there failed so many like myself but it was the system and not necessarily the school which should be blamed and, sadly, state education has continued to fail us for the last fifty or more years.

I was not practically inclined and Ken Westnedge gave me a kick up the backside when working on a lathe, I was poor at technical drawing, foundry practice, physics and chemistry.

I joined the school in 1963 and left with 5 GCE'O Levels, we were perhaps fortunate as Wadge was only there for a year and retired.

I do not feel Central Technnicalt failed me in any way, it just made certain I would not be doing a job working with my hands.

I must state that when I left the Tech. in 49 I had a brilliant education. I joined the RN as a Stoker (too old to be an artificer apprentice) when I left the RN in 72 I had reached the rank of Lieutenant. The comprehensive education I received stood me in good stead.

I had left a Grammar school after two years, couldn't cope with learning two foreign languages, it is the best move I ever made. I think the subjects we covered were very comprehensive , the teaching I thought was excellent. I find some peoples bad memories of the Tech. are vastly different to mine, I have no idea why.

• 1 month later...