Central Technical School

PopT

On 02/10/2006 at 17:30, CHAIRBOY said:

I have had a look at some photographs and am able to post the following names. Obviously there are many more than I can remember but my list is: Ian Turner, who is social sec of the OB's - he was the school timpanist. John Garside whose parents kept the Ranmoor Inn was a trombonist, Aldgate has been mentioned in an earlier thread, Gamble, Donaldson, Lax, Charboneau, Dawson, Yates, Finney, Armstrong, Tony Hinchcliffe, Roger Balme (good sportsman), Tindall, Herrington -a speedway buff, Woolhouse, Pell, Wilkinson (golfer), Machin, Connors, Russell, Belk, Ling, Keeton, Tunnard, Antliffe, Hitchbourne, Crawshaw, Birch, Chippendale, Henderson, Graham, Beaumont, Shaun Burns, Webster, Gamble, Frank Green, Slack, Gears, Danson, Concannon, Renshaw, Bagshaw, Gallagher, Barraclough, Pearce, two twins Michael & William Hattersley, Marples, Stewart Smith, Marsh, Hall, Oliver, Ronksley, Adams, Jock Keep, Barraclough. Baines, Mayland, Chamberlain, Dearden - a good swimmer plus three stars from the 50's, Roger Taylor, Keith Ellis and Brian Day who was excellent at swimming, becoming a coach until his untimely death a couple of years ago.

I wouldn't want to forget an old colleague called Ivor Carpenter, whose death at 15/16 we learned of at one morning assembly. A very quiet lad who lost his battle with asthma. Do these name spring any memories?

I post here with fond memories of my time at CTS from 61 to 64 and recall quite a few of the names aforementioned. It was a sad day when the whole class attended the funeral of Ivor.

Tunnard was a close friend, others who were in my classes were Keep, Ling, Smith, Green, Lax,Chamberlain and many more whose names now fade from memory. My time at the school was cut short as my family emigrated to Australia in 64 and unfortunately I have never returned to the Mother Country. There is no doubt as other here have mentioned that the teaching, training and discipline played a vital role in one’s life and no doubt many upstanding citizens have developed as old boys and accordingly I am very proud to have been a pupil of the school.

Hi Liz,

Originally  in the middle of town, the street names I don’t recall the school was then moved to Gleadless.  Maybe some other member on the forum will be able to help you out there.

Cheers

Mal

On 30/04/2023 at 09:01, Lizzie b said:

Where was CTS situated ?

On the junction of West St and Leopold St (where it was attached to the Education offices and the City Grammar School), and round the corner onto Holly St, which led to the rear of the City Hall.