Sheffield 15 Min Zone

18 minutes ago, ads36 said:

and you're the only person saying that the solution is to give up all car use.

Which is quite extreme...

I notice this a lot on here, especially from left leaners ... the tendency to take everything literally, and seeming inability to grasp nuance and figures of speech. Someone was disputing my use of the word 'nearly' yesterday, all very odd.

the premise of all this control is to stop us using cars, that means giving them up.

the reality is .. only the rich will be able to travel about as they wish if this continues any further

Edited by fools

13 minutes ago, fools said:

the reality is .. only the rich will be able to travel about as they wish if this continues any further

that's quite a jump, from talking about ring roads and a few filters, to suggesting that there's a plan to stop all but the rich from driving.

life's complicated enough, surely there's enough going on to complain about without inventing even more of it?

(but i guess we all need a hobby...)

Edited by ads36

5 minutes ago, ads36 said:

that's quite a jump, from talking about ring roads and a few filters, to suggesting that there's a plan to stop all but the rich from driving.

life's complicated enough, surely there's enough going on to complain about without inventing even more of it?

there is no jump, it's the green agenda being stuffed down our throats whether we want it or not, along with a bit of foresight. Technology is being used to control us.

have you seen the price of electric cars and heat pumps -- both things that struggle to work when it's cold. Life is about to get very difficult unless you're rich

Edited by fools

27 minutes ago, fools said:

I notice this a lot on here, especially from left leaners ... the tendency to take everything literally, and seeming inability to grasp nuance and figures of speech. Someone was disputing my use of the word 'nearly' yesterday, all very odd.

the premise of all this control is to stop us using cars, that means giving them up.

You could always avoid using hyperbole to get your point across, but then "so we all use cars less" sounds quite reasonable and doesn't have the same impact as "so we all give up cars".

You're missing the point, as do many car fixated people. The purpose of this is that walking/cycling will become such a more attractive proposition that people, even the rich, will want to walk/cycle rather than drive.

Just now, altus said:

You could always avoid using hyperbole to get your point across, but then "so we all use cars less" sounds quite reasonable and doesn't have the same impact as "so we all give up cars".

You're missing the point, as do many car fixated people. The purpose of this is that walking/cycling will become such a more attractive proposition that people, even the rich, will want to walk/cycle rather than drive.

are you 5 years old?

talking rubbish as usual.

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

The number of vehicles on Britain's roads has increased to 40million, it's doubled in the last 40 years.

This trend is continuing, the graph is a simple straight line.

Unchecked, before too long, there will be 80million vehicles on the roads 

Clearly, there's no way that this can work (it already doesn't).

at what point do we try and do something about it?

Saying there are 40 million is a bit disingenuine despite that being the total. 

As of stats 2021*: 

33.2 million cars (81.3 per cent),
4.63 million vans (11.3 per cent),
0.54 million HGVs (1.3 per cent),
1.46 million motorcycles (3.6 per cent),
0.15 million buses & coaches (0.4 per cent)
0.84 million other vehicles (2 per cent)

* End of Sept 2021

Whilst car ownership has increased, the biggest increase in vehicle type over the last few years is vans due to the rise of online shopping etc.  Over 96% of them are diesel fuelled and constant stop/start journeys. 

1 hour ago, fools said:

A quite impressive display of projection.

• Like 1