Sheffield 15 Min Zone

7 minutes ago, Resident said:

Saying there are 40 million is a bit disingenuine despite that being the total. 

As of stats 2021*: 

33.2 million cars (81.3 per cent),
4.63 million vans (11.3 per cent),
0.54 million HGVs (1.3 per cent),
1.46 million motorcycles (3.6 per cent),
0.15 million buses & coaches (0.4 per cent)
0.84 million other vehicles (2 per cent)

* End of Sept 2021

Whilst car ownership has increased, the biggest increase in vehicle type over the last few years is vans due to the rise of online shopping etc.  Over 96% of them are diesel fuelled and constant stop/start journeys. 

I'd say the claim that it will soon be 80m is a bit OTT, but I'm not sure this post really counter's Ads point all that much? It's still a huge rise in private car ownership since the 1990s.

I agree with you about the scourge of deliveries. Both grocery/package deliveries and takeaway deliveries need to do much better about choosing the vehicles in their fleets. We need far more smaller vans and bicycle/motorcycle deliveries in urban and suburban areas (to be fair, a lot of companies are already starting to do this).

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

I'd say the claim that it will soon be 80m is a bit OTT, but I'm not sure this post really counter's Ads point all that much? It's still a huge rise in private car ownership since the 1990s.

I agree with you about the scourge of deliveries. Both grocery/package deliveries and takeaway deliveries need to do much better about choosing the vehicles in their fleets. We need far more smaller vans and bicycle/motorcycle deliveries in urban and suburban areas (to be fair, a lot of companies are already starting to do this).

Read on one of the stats page (I've lost the one it was on) and it stated that most delivery vans don't usually venture outside a 15-20 radius of their base location & rarely cover 200 miles per day. 

As much as I'm against BATTERY EVs,  in this instance, at this moment more delivery companies should be pushed into EV vehicles. Currently less than 0.3% (As of Sept 2021) were EV operated. 

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
8 minutes ago, Resident said:

Read on one of the stats page (I've lost the one it was on) and it stated that most delivery vans don't usually venture outside a 15-20 radius of their base location & rarely cover 200 miles per day. 

As much as I'm against BATTERY EVs,  in this instance, at this moment more delivery companies should be pushed into EV vehicles. Currently less than 0.3% (As of Sept 2021) were EV operated. 

Forget the range even though there are no electric vans with a working days range, the charge time is critical as many will do a shift then back to base for another driver to use. 15 minute re-load time then off again. Doesnt quite fit with recharge times especially if you have 50 vans. Cars might be better but even a car would struggle with that sort of operation. 

Good to see the people of Oxford are destroying whatever the council put in place to enforce this nonsense, I thought the people of this country had turned into a load of subservient cowards (this forum would definitely make you think so) but thankfully a few are pushing back, long may it continue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, top4718 said:

Good to see the people of Oxford are destroying whatever the council put in place to enforce this nonsense, I thought the people of this country had turned into a load of subservient cowards (this forum would definitely make you think so) but thankfully a few are pushing back, long may it continue.

Hooray. 

Never forget that together we are a force to be reckoned with.

Therefore support each other if you disagree with it, and no council or government can foist undesirable edicts on the people.

Together, we are mighty.

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Hooray. 

Never forget that together we are a force to be reckoned with.

Therefore support each other if you disagree with it, and no council or government can foist undesirable edicts on the people.

Together, we are mighty.

Or you could read through the document properly and you'll see it's not what you think it is.

3 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

Or you could read through the document properly and you'll see it's not what you think it is.

My initial reply to this was seemingly deleted, but she has been told this 10 times and she clearly has an inability to read properly.

That better, Beca? 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

The stupidity of including the inner ring road in the CAZ is up to the usual standards of SCC.

So say someone is coming in from the M1 Jn33 to go to Broomhill, rather than taking the most direct route, they would now go up through the Manor and wriggle their way round the city, cutting through residential areas and increasing thrir journey time by a massive factor rather than paying the tax to the money-rakers at the SCC.

They should have put the CAZ on the inside of the inner ring road and then used technology to speed up the travel around it.

Despite the protestations of Planner saying that the SCC can't enforce yellow grid boxes at junctions, they keep getting repainted, but just not put in the sensible places - yet another money-making scheme from the incompetents at the SCC.

The sooner we get these pathetic individuals out of office the better.

I also see that in the consultation, less than 0.5% of the population of Sheffield responded - probably because the consultation was only open for 3 weeks just before Christmas 2021 - yet another example of SCC trying to slip things in under the carpet by putting it out for that period of time at that time of year - this, I recollect is in breach of rules for consultation periods - I am checking.

Also, the methodology of the consultation is suspect, and the fact that the documents available are incomplete (and have pathetic grammar, spelling and multiple typos) suggests that the implementation of the consultation might be able to be challenged.,..

Watch this space.