Sheffield 15 Min Zone

10 hours ago, blackydog said:

Yeah, I remember those times. We have had constant globalisation and centralisation over the years though, so those local shops (for local people 😆 ) have all but disappeared.

A local Library in each area would be a start. 

No doubt someone will say we don't need them anymore - but IMO we do. Sign of a civilised culture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sibon said:

Fill your boots:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries-archives/our-libraries

You will be pleased to see that there are already plenty.

Don't get carried away.  I have no library within 15 minutes walk of my home.

The nearest to me would be 30 minutes walk.  Probably a bit less for someone younger and fitter but, still not 15 minutes.

My Dad is 76, on his own, and looking to move house.

I'm helping him look, and *i'm* looking at areas which satisfy a general interpretation of a '15min Neighbourhood'

• local shops
  • pub
  • library
  • cafe
  • park and/or green spaces/woodland/etc
  • occasional market?
  • a railway station would be great!

etc, all within about a mile of the house in question - walkable on quiet streets.

i'd love to see him healthy and occupied, for another 20-30 years. 

Healthy means daily walking, and that needs something for him to walk to...

it's only a matter of time before he can't/shouldn't drive much, living in a 15min  neighbourhood would mean he'd barely notice.

Edited by ads36

29 minutes ago, ads36 said:

My Dad is 76, on his own, and looking to move house.

I'm helping him look, and *i'm* looking at areas which satisfy a general interpretation of a '15min Neighbourhood'

• local shops
  • pub
  • library
  • cafe
  • park and/or green spaces/woodland/etc
  • occasional market?
  • a railway station would be great!

etc, all within about a mile of the house in question - walkable on quiet streets.

i'd love to see him healthy and occupied, for another 20-30 years. 

Healthy means daily walking, and that needs something for him to walk to...

it's only a matter of time before he can't/shouldn't drive much, living in a 15min  neighbourhood would mean he'd barely notice.

I wish you good luck with that mate.  Thousands will want to join him.

the idea is rather infantile, so it's no surprise left wingers are pushing it like crazy, almost as if someone has read a childrens book, and thought, oo that's a good idea. a zoo, a hospital, and a factory all at the end of the street. How convenient.

the concept is there to punish car ownership and restrict travel, do not lose sight of that, and it's consequences.

Edited by fools
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fools said:

the idea is rather infantile, so it's no surprise left wingers are pushing it like crazy, almost as if someone has read a childrens book, and thought, oo that's a good idea. a zoo, a hospital, a factory all at the end of the street.

the concept is to punish car ownership and restrict travel, do not lose sight of that, and it's consequences.

The idea will have come from the fact that almost every one of us used to live in such a place in the 40's and 50's.

I certainly did and would love to go back to that. but it will never happen unless governments and business's are willing to spend big money (so that's a NO)

travel as we know it today will have to be restricted, no matter how unpopular that is.

It's nothing to do with left or right wing. That is just your stuck record working. True to your name.

Edited by Organgrinder

4 minutes ago, fools said:

the idea is rather infantile, so it's no surprise left wingers are pushing it like crazy, almost as if someone has read a childrens book, and thought, oo that's a good idea. a zoo, a hospital, a factory all at the end of the street.

and yet the only way you can find to knock the idea is to deliberately mis-represent it.

11 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The idea will have come from the fact that almost every one of us used to live in such a place in the 40's and 50's.

I certainly did and would love to go back to that. but it will never happen unless governments and business's are willing to spend big money (so that's a NO)

travel as we know it today will have to be restricted, no matter how unpopular that is.

We'd all like to live within a mile of the workplace, it's never gonna happen, you get a job where you can. It's a deluded fanciful idea

The A&E is on the north side of the city, bit far to walk for most people.

who says travel has to be restricted.

9 minutes ago, ads36 said:

and yet the only way you can find to knock the idea is to deliberately mis-represent it.

got any meat?

11 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

It's nothing to do with left or right wing. That is just your stuck record working. True to your name.

oh dear, are you still doing the left wing insulty thing, thought we'd moved on past that silly stuff.

it has everything to do with politics. it's being pushed by the lefties, and the hypocrites.

Edited by fools