Sheffield 15 Min Zone

Just now, fools said:

4 insults in an hour.... your parents would have been well proud.

that's a ludicrous take.

I'm sure my parents would be saying that I am not doing well enough whilst dealing with someone with no sense.

That's 5

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I'm sure my parents would be saying that I am not doing well enough whilst dealing with someone with no sense.

That's 5

you lost the argument at 1

what is really odd is this is a subject where we are in some agreement, and you still feel the need to be rude to someone who has always been civil in return

Edited by fools

15 minutes ago, fools said:

you lost the argument at 1

what is really odd is this is a subject where we are in some agreement, and you still feel the need to be rude to someone who has always been civil in return

Sorry about that but, it's hard to be civil to someone who's foolish enough to say the things which you say.

The human race has been here for many thousands of years with no major impact on the planet.

It's only since the age of steam, energy use, and the like, together with cars boats and planes, that all this damage was done.

Cutting the population would help but not if the rest carry on polluting.

Is that a proper argument for you or is it too intelligent. 

Your idea would be to kill everybody in the 15 minute zone and then there would be no pollution?

Edited by Organgrinder

the world population has gone from circa 1 billion to 8 billion in the last 200 years, that's 8 times as many people who need to find work, eat, consume, travel, buy tat from China etc etc. all of which creates emissions, Anyone who thinks you can turn major cities back into Trumpton, with everyone living off veg from the allotment ... is barking.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fools said:

the world population has gone from circa 1 billion to 8 billion in the last 200 years, that's 8 times as many people who need to find work, eat, consume, travel, buy tat from China etc etc. all of which creates emissions, Anyone who thinks you can turn major cities back into Trumpton, with everyone living off veg from the allotment ... is barking.

So are you saying that people will never be allowed to park outside the Lyceum again then? Nooooooooooooooooooo(!!!)

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

You keep trying to represent the concept as if someone has suggested that an individual should never have to leave their local area, cars should be banned forever, and that you'll only be allowed out of your ghetto building 10 times a year (with a permit). You're being ludicrously dramatic about the whole thing.

It really just all boils down to increasing densities, encouraging more local services in local areas, improving public transport and active travel options, and just generally doing what we can to help people reduce their car use. Yes - some of that involves carrot & stick, meaning sometimes car use has to be discouraged with things like filters, etc., to give public transport/active travel priority over cars. This is not actually a very controversial idea in the real world. It's already how a lot of places already work.

Carrot and stick?

Well SCC has always despised the car so 'discouraging' the driver will be right up they street, and they will apply the stick with gusto.

But the carrot is supposed to be that we will be able to go about our business with a happy little skip and a jump because everything we need will be within a 15 minute stroll. Which is utter nonsense as has been pointed out in this thread. Therefore this is just barefaced lies surely no one is daft enough to fall for, to cover up the downright inconvenience they are about to inflict on everybody trying to travel in the city.

So If anyone can come up with a real carrot to this scheme I'd be pleased to hear it.

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Therefore this is just barefaced lies surely no one is daft enough to fall for, to cover up the downright inconvenience they are about to inflict on everybody trying to travel in the city.

Whats that, then?

2 hours ago, fools said:

No, I don't think that but,  Yes,  some will fall by the wayside.

Probably you among them.

None so blind as those who WILL NOT see.