Sheffield 15 Min Zone

On 19/01/2023 at 22:34, The_DADDY said:

Every council will be planning them. I've not contributed much to this thread because the people that can't see where this is going are just too dim to deal with. It's almost as though they a being deliberately naive. 

They think they're morally superior by doing bidding of some of the most despicable people ever to walk the earth, watch footage of that Davos meeting and look at the scum that people are toadying up to, makes you shudder.

7 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Nope. You could thank the thousands of drivers making journeys which could be easily made on foot, or by bike, or on public transport.

Unless you're disabled and find walking very difficult....

10 minutes ago, top4718 said:

They think they're morally superior by doing bidding of some of the most despicable people ever to walk the earth, watch footage of that Davos meeting and look at the scum that people are toadying up to, makes you shudder.

Indeed... And unelected scum at that. Who put them in charge?

Edited by Anna B

14 hours ago, Anna B said:

Unless you're disabled and find walking very difficult....

Indeed... And unelected scum at that. Who put them in charge?

How hard is it to understand that some people can use something other than a car for some of their trips, and that doesn't mean they can never use their car. Or that for some people, a car is essential for all trips.

22 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

How hard is it to understand that some people can use something other than a car for some of their trips, and that doesn't mean they can never use their car. Or that for some people, a car is essential for all trips.

You may as well speak to a brick wall mate, she has been told countless time what these 15 minute zones actually are and she just doesnt listen.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2023 at 22:57, Bargepole23 said:

Does it? Usually riding or walking past nose to tail traffic down Ecclesall Rd every weekday morning and evening. I daresay say its the same on all major arterial routes.

Doubt they are all off to Donny though eh? More likely heading into the city, one to a car, with very few carrying fridges, or tools, or a weekly shop, or any of the other items people always seem to need to carry when it's suggested they might use something other than a car if they don't need to.

i come into sheff most mornings down parkway between half8 and 9 so peak times and round derek dooley way. save a few places where the traffic lights can cause congestion its generally flowing fine. I cant comment on other routes but the traffic flowing the other way looks ok. If i leave during the non peak time then traffic flows fine. Yes you will get hold ups but considering the amount of traffic going through the city at any given point i think Sheffields roads cope pretty well

Not everyone in sheff works in sheffield or lives in sheffield. I agree with you that if you can walk to where you are going then do it and dont take the car but i very much doubt that this represents "thousands of journeys" everyday. I would wager that the people on Ecclesall Rd have come onto it from further afield than Eccy rd and are going to places further than the bottom of the moor so not really convinient to walk especially if they may have other commitments like family to see to which would restrict the time they have to travel to where they are going i.e walking takes 40 min from psalters lane to the bottom of the moor according to google maps so if i lived in that vicinity and worked even at the bottom of the moor and started work at 9 then i would have to leave no later than 8:20 so what do i do with my children who need to get to school?

On 20/01/2023 at 22:02, sheffbag said:

Nope, the road system copes with them every day quite easily.

Lol, it's amazing what people have normalised in their heads as 'coping'. Congestion costs an economy money. Every day I see people in queues of traffic up and down Ecclesall Road, AM and PM. Sure, they all get through eventually but at what speed? Barely walking pace.

I’ll. remember to use my bike when I’m coming from doncaster with all my work gear next time

Because you have a very specific load, starting point, and drop-off point, it sounds like car is best for you, and unlikely that improvements in public transport or active travel would change that situation. But you're one person, and clearly not the kind of person being targeted when it comes to encouraging people out of their cars.

There are countless people who make small trips in cars that are really either not all that necessary, or could be easily replaced by alternatives if other options were improved. It won't be for everyone.

It's worth noting, that in places like Amsterdam & Copenhagen - long held up (rightly so) as kings of how to do cycling, public transport etc. in large urban areas - that across the whole urban area, car is still the transport mode used by the majority. I think the last time I saw a figure for Copenhagen it was something like 60% of all trips still made by car. No one is suggesting that even the very best places at doing this in the world are anywhere near getting all people out of their cars, and there will always be many people who still need to use the car. For a city like Sheffield though, we're still a long way from having only the essential car users on our roads (Sheffield trips are probably something like 80-90% by car).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Every day I see people in queues of traffic up and down Ecclesall Road

improvements in public transport or active travel would change that situation

There are countless people who make small trips in cars that are really either not all that necessary, or could be easily replaced by alternatives if other options were improved.

how many red lights are there

another one going on about active travel, nobody cares, if they want a bike, they can get one. if they want to walk, they walk

are there, how do you know, who are you to judge how other people carry out their lives.

Edited by fools

8 minutes ago, fools said:

how many red lights are there

On Ecclesall Road? Between Hunter's Bar and the ring road, there are 6 pedestrian crossings and 1 signalled junction (Summerfield Street). That stretch is just over 1 mile making it 1x pedestrian crossing for about every 280m (lucky pedestrians! - sarcasm, FYI).

Traffic on Ecclesall Road at evening rush hour slows to a crawl towards Hunters Bar back as far as Summerfield Street irrespective of those pedestrian crossings. The junction at Summerfield Street has to be signalled because of the volume of traffic. The suggestion either of those is making the traffic all that much slower - if at all slower - is a bit ridiculous.

active travel, nobody cares, if they want a bike, they can get one. if they want to walk, they walk

This is simply not true. You only need to look at posts across various threads on this very forum over the years to see how many people there are across Sheffield who would use buses, trams, trains, bikes, etc. more if they were more reliable and frequent than what we get now, or in the case of cycling safer than it is now.

There are huge holes and weaknesses in this country's public transport systems and active travel provision, and if they were resolved with investment and good policy, we'd see a shift towards those modes of transport. Not a complete shift and it wouldn't be for everyone, but there would be a significant shift.

To suggest otherwise - or to suggest that somehow public transport, cycling infrastructure etc. is as good as it could possibly be and that anyone who wanted to use them would already be doing so is quite ludicrous and I have to say actually, not just a little bit embarrassingly naïve.

• Like 1