Sheffield 15 Min Zone

On 23/01/2023 at 09:56, sheffbag said:

i come into sheff most mornings down parkway between half8 and 9 so peak times and round derek dooley way. save a few places where the traffic lights can cause congestion its generally flowing fine. I cant comment on other routes but the traffic flowing the other way looks ok. If i leave during the non peak time then traffic flows fine. Yes you will get hold ups but considering the amount of traffic going through the city at any given point i think Sheffields roads cope pretty well

Not everyone in sheff works in sheffield or lives in sheffield. I agree with you that if you can walk to where you are going then do it and dont take the car but i very much doubt that this represents "thousands of journeys" everyday. I would wager that the people on Ecclesall Rd have come onto it from further afield than Eccy rd and are going to places further than the bottom of the moor so not really convinient to walk especially if they may have other commitments like family to see to which would restrict the time they have to travel to where they are going i.e walking takes 40 min from psalters lane to the bottom of the moor according to google maps so if i lived in that vicinity and worked even at the bottom of the moor and started work at 9 then i would have to leave no later than 8:20 so what do i do with my children who need to get to school?

Nose to tail stationary traffic on Endcliffe Vale Road, Brocco Bank top to bottom, Clarkehouse Rd all the way along both ways this morning.

Edited by Bargepole23

46 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Nose to tail stationary traffic on Endcliffe Vale Road, Brocco Bank top to bottom, Clarkehouse Rd all the way along both ways this morning.

The problem is that not enough people are cycling or walking to work and insist on using their vehicle. 

7 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

FMe3mNgVkAAnske.jpg

Great things these, much better protection than mRNA jabs and safer 🤣

12 hours ago, jonnythefox said:
  1. Has anyone else noticed the new signs on bradfield road hillsborough reading eat local,drink local,shop local all have council logo on them . Maybe the guy who says he doesnt work for the council knows something .

Planting seeds to try and normalise whats to follow.

5 hours ago, Meltman said:

The problem is that not enough people are cycling or walking to work and insist on using their vehicle. 

People have been encouraged to work further from home, the motorist has been used as a cash cow for years, public transport is useless. People insist on using their car because they don't have a viable choice.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 16:54, Meltman said:

Actually it's because not enough people are using public transport, because it's expensive, inefficient, and  rubbish. Improve that, and you're a long way to solving the problem.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

Actually it's because not enough people are using public transport, because it's expensive, inefficient, and  rubbish. Improve that, and you're a long way to solving the problem.

If everyone decided to use public transport there would be chaos, the system couldn't cope with the volume irrespective of the cost. 

1 hour ago, Meltman said:

If everyone decided to use public transport there would be chaos, the system couldn't cope with the volume irrespective of the cost. 

And if everyone were able to ride a bike to work what about volume?

Presume there would be tandem only lanes? What would be the speed limits in this eutopia? Where would everyone park their machines?  What about the sweaty ones who invade your space at work? 
for the umpteenth time sheffields topography is the opposite to the levels of Copenhagen etc and never in a thousand years are the majority going to cycle

improving public transport is key but due to  the inadequacies of our planners etal over the years the infrastructure needed to mirror the mass transit schemes of Hong Kong/ Singapore are just a pipe dream 

• Like 3

My comment about not enough people cycling or walking to work was meant as a 'tongue in cheek 'reaction to a comment about stationary traffic and big queues.  I have to smile when Sheffield is compared to other places such as Amsterdam, Copenhagen etc, places with minimal hills unlike the terrain in Sheffield. 

Also,if the use of private vehicles is to be restricted by putting controls on where and when they can be used then public transport needs to be improved. As I said  if everyone tried to use it at present it couldn't cope. 

12 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

And if everyone were able to ride a bike to work what about volume?

Presume there would be tandem only lanes? What would be the speed limits in this eutopia? Where would everyone park their machines?  What about the sweaty ones who invade your space at work? 
for the umpteenth time sheffields topography is the opposite to the levels of Copenhagen etc and never in a thousand years are the majority going to cycle

improving public transport is key but due to  the inadequacies of our planners etal over the years the infrastructure needed to mirror the mass transit schemes of Hong Kong/ Singapore are just a pipe dream 

First class very cheap or even free, public transport is the only answer.

Just a case of finding a good fair way to pay for it.

Too much silly talk about EVERYONE riding a bike and other stupid comments.

There will never be a situation where EVERYONE does the same.

Some will cycle to work and some will walk to work and some will work from home so we just need an answer to cover the rest even though they are the majority.

Man in Crete is right.   We have had years to deal with the problem of mass transit, whilst others have done it.

Our planners, councils and governments have never grasped the nettle.

Our politics works on the basis of ever changing ruling parties so they all figure they will be out soon so let the next lot worry about it instead.

If they worked together for the benefit of the country, we would see some progress.

9 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Some will cycle to work and some will walk to work and some will work from home so we just need an answer to cover the rest even though they are the majority.

Man in Crete is right.   We have had years to deal with the problem of mass transit, whilst others have done it.

Our politics works on the basis of ever changing ruling parties so they all figure they will be out soon so let the next lot worry about it instead.

If they worked together for the benefit of the country, we would see some progress.

They've not been in the slightest bit interested in improving public transport as the car has been a very lucrative thing for them , now they want t appear "green" and try to ditch the car with no viable alternative in place, the politics of lunacy.

9 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

This is exactly what Sheffield had in the 1970's and it worked exceedingly well. 

I remember Pond Street Central bus station being packed at rush hour as people queued for buses, (which were plentiful, and regular,) to get home from work. 

Then the Conservative crowd with cars objected to their rates being used to subsidise it as they didn't use public transport, and the scheme was scrapped.

And Sheffield's problems with congestion started. 

Privatisation of Sheffield's public transport system hasn't helped...

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1