Sheffield 15 Min Zone

Just now, Anna B said:

This is exactly what Sheffield had in the 1970's and it worked exceedingly well. 

I remember Pond Street Central bus station being packed at rush hour as people waited for buses to get home from work. 

Then the Conservative crowd with cars objected to their rates being used to subsidise it as they didn't use public transport, and the scheme was scrapped.

And Sheffield's problems with congestion started. 

Privatisation of Sheffield's public transport system hasn't helped...

In the 70s many people didn’t have cars 

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

In the 70s many people didn’t have cars 

I agree with Anna.

I think you have got your dates wrong.

I had a car in the 70's and so did more than half of my mates and also most of my workmates.

24 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I agree with Anna.

I think you have got your dates wrong.

I had a car in the 70's and so did more than half of my mates and also most of my workmates.

So did my Dad, who still used the bus to get to and from work, as parking in the city centre was difficult.

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

This is exactly what Sheffield had in the 1970's and it worked exceedingly well. 

I remember Pond Street Central bus station being packed at rush hour as people queued for buses, (which were plentiful, and regular,) to get home from work. 

Then the Conservative crowd with cars objected to their rates being used to subsidise it as they didn't use public transport, and the scheme was scrapped.

And Sheffield's problems with congestion started. 

Privatisation of Sheffield's public transport system hasn't helped...

And your rates didn't reduce.

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

So did my Dad, who still used the bus to get to and from work, as parking in the city centre was difficult.

Uh-oh. That doesnt tally with other posts on here from people claiming only 20 years ago that it was "easy" to park in the city centre. I wonder which person is lying 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Uh-oh. That doesnt tally with other posts on here from people claiming only 20 years ago that it was "easy" to park in the city centre. I wonder which person is lying 🤣

There were several places available without restrictions around the periphery of the center at that time, I used to park at the bottom of Broad St outside the "trophy" shop, then walk over the tram bridge into town.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Oh yes, that famous quote from a certain someone about how they remember when you could park "anywhere" in Sheffield "for free" without any problems.....

Hmmm.  I wonder which poster boldly said that before going all quiet when called out to give some examples.

3 minutes ago, carosio said:

There were several places available without restrictions around the periphery of the center at that time, I used to park at the bottom of Broad St outside the "trophy" shop, then walk over the tram bridge into town.

"Easy", though? Could just saunter up at 11am and have your pick of spaces?

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

"Easy", though? Could just saunter up at 11am and have your pick of spaces?

This would be before they built on the then council car park opposite the shop. Double yellows finished just below the trophy shop, above that was usually clear to park most times, I usually parked there 10-11am.