Sheffield 15 Min Zone

So thats one location, which is actually outside the inner ring road (which wasnt built near that location in 2003 actually), maybe the person who made the original outlandish claim can furnish us with examples that actually fell inside it.

Edited by HeHasRisen

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

So thats one location, which is actually outside the inner ring road (which wasnt built near that location in 2003 actually), maybe the person who made the original outlandish claim can furnish us with all the others that actually fell inside it.

Yes, there might have been the odd corner buried away on some cul-de cac, but generally there wasn't free parking in the center which is why I parked there. Afterwards, double/single yellows extended everywhere although I can't remember the precise year when that happened on Broad St.

Edited by carosio

On 30/01/2023 at 09:36, carosio said:

There were several places available without restrictions around the periphery of the center at that time, I used to park at the bottom of Broad St outside the "trophy" shop, then walk over the tram bridge into town.

When the buses put their prices up, my Dad parked by Park Hill Flats and walk into Sheffield City Centre. he worked near Fitzalan Square. I worked at Sheffield Central Library. I remember them putting in parking meters all Surrey Street. It was in the late 60's or early 70's.

Things were changing all over the place in the 70's. There was no Castle Square round about then, just a big car park near the old rag and tag market. No ring road as far as I'm aware. I'm not even sure if the Hole in the road had been built at that time.

Edited by Anna B

On 30/01/2023 at 09:39, HeHasRisen said:

"Easy", though? Could just saunter up at 11am and have your pick of spaces?

I used to work on Queens Road from 1978-86 with a 7:30 am start. You could park on Charlotte Road for free all day. Also all the side roads opposite what is now B&Q. You could even park for free on Queens road itself outside of peak periods. South Street, Park Hill used to be free parking too. There were lots of places that have now become restricted or permit.

21 minutes ago, blackydog said:

I used to work on Queens Road from 1978-86 with a 7:30 am start. You could park on Charlotte Road for free all day. Also all the side roads opposite what is now B&Q. You could even park for free on Queens road itself outside of peak periods. South Street, Park Hill used to be free parking too. There were lots of places that have now become restricted or permit.

Ok, two things:

- we are talking about 20 years ago, not near 40 years ago

- We are talking about within the inner ring road. Certainly wouldnt class Queens Road as "the city centre".

You can still park for free just outside the inner ring road in some areas quite easily if you get there early enough (including near Park Hill flats), that has never changed.

Edited by HeHasRisen

23 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ok, two things:

- we are talking about 20 years ago, not near 40 years ago

- We are talking about within the inner ring road. Certainly wouldnt class Queens Road as "the city centre".

You can still park for free just outside the inner ring road in some areas quite easily if you get there early enough (including near Park Hill flats), that has never changed.

the amount of time you're spending trying to wriggle out of being proven wrong is admirable. You'll be arguing about the definition of 'parking' next

Edited by fools

2 minutes ago, fools said:

the amount of time you're spending trying to wriggle out of being proven wrong is admirable. You'll be arguing about the definition of 'parking' next

No proof has every been provided for your ludicrious claim, you have been on the hook for over a week now.

Simply post all these areas within the city centre that it was "easy" to park at in 2003 and I will leave it be, its as easy as that.

Litotes posting a vague recollection of "near" a few streets doesnt count.

Edited by HeHasRisen

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

No proof has every been provided for your ludicrious claim, you have been on the hook for over a week now.

Simply post all these areas within the city centre that it was "easy" to park at in 2003 and I will leave it be, its as easy as that.

it's much more fun watching you (and friend) dig a hole, and argue about the definition of 'couple' or 'decades', or 'easy', or 'centre' just to save face.

I don't make stuff up. I was backing Anna up.

Edited by fools

Just now, fools said:

it's much more fun watching you (and friend) dig a hole, and argue about the definition of 'couple' or 'decades', or 'easy', or 'centre' just to save face.

I don't make stuff up.

I beg to differ.  Thats fine, i will just reply to every single one of your posts asking you the same question.

3 minutes ago, fools said:

I don't make stuff up. I was backing Anna up.

Please name all the areas in the city centre of Sheffield it was "easy" to park at in 2003.