Sheffield 15 Min Zone

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Will this prove to you that something is afoot.

minutes from a 'motion', that's now a year old?

paragraph d : "...we should work towards the concept of ‘15 minute neighbourhoods’, reducing time and distance to access services; meaning residents should have within a 15-minute journey via foot, cycle or other mobility aid from their home: living, working, commerce, healthcare, education, entertainment, parks and green spaces;"

sounds awful...

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

No, thats a complete cop out.

Name names, please. 

Oh, and you still havent read the original link properly. Or the one provided yesterday. A trial for what, exactly? You are clearly confusing two totally different things and you are not prepared to admit it. Here it is again for you...

Screenshot-20230103-065845-Gallery.jpg

So this claims that we are not going to be confined to our local area.

Why will we need to have  100  passes a year then, to visit other areas?

It's quite obvious to any thinking person that the traffic filters ARE going to be linked to the 15 minute neighbourhoods proposal.

If we want clean air, why were no plans made 20 or 30 years ago to keep tightening up on vehicle emissions periodically and working slowly towards clean air.

There are plans already in place which are still not being used such as schooling streets.  I have a school near me and the air is filthy at school start & finish times.

It's quite easy to guess that they have no way of policing anything other than with cameras but why are plans not properly thought out in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

So this claims that we are not going to be confined to our local area.

Thats something to do with a trial in Oxford with these six new traffic filters. Absolutely nothing to do with 15 minute zones, and a Sheffield council meeting, nigh on 10 months ago, where there was a wishy-washy agree to "look into" (or similar wording, cant recall without looking) 15 minute zones. 

It may as well have said "we will look into a ladder to the moon".

Katie Hopkins has taken one thing, wrongly linked it to another, and has used it to scaremonger, fooling lots of people in the process.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Thats something to do with a trial in Oxford with these six new traffic filters. Absolutely nothing to do with 15 minute zones, and a Sheffield council meeting, nigh on 10 months ago, where there was a wishy-washy agree to "look into" (or similar wording, cant recall without looking) 15 minute zones. 

It may as well have said "we will look into a ladder to the moon".

Katie Hopkins has taken one thing, wrongly linked it to another, and has used it to scaremonger, fooling lots of people in the process.

Strange that this filter system starts by splitting the city into ZONES and that is also what the 15 minute plan does too. Anyone can see that they intend to work them together.

I agree with the thinking behind the 15 minute zones but I think that, even that, will turn out to be another unworkable plan .

It's hard enough to decide what a 15 minute walk is for walkers aged between  10, for instance, and walkers aged 80 years old.

That is before even considering whether the route is flat or up a 1 in 10 incline.

Much easier to make city wide plans that everyone can understand and abide by and the very first requirement would be an efficient and very cheap public transport system, which we used to have, funnily enough.

Edited by Organgrinder

To put it in plain English, what Oxford are referring to as “Traffic Filters” are in fact bus gates.

Their proposal, which they intend to carry out as a trial, is that they will introduce the 6 bus gates and allow residents of Oxford to have a permit which gives them exemption from the bus gate restrictions on 100 days a year. Residents of the wider Oxfordshire area would be able to get a permit for exemption on 25 days a year.

To give some local context, Sheffield Council operate a similar permit scheme at the Hillsborough Corner bus/tram gate which gives permanent exemption to residents of Rudyard Rd and some small streets which run off it ( because of the long diversion they would need to take to observe the restrictions).

I recall that York Council ran into problems with a “bus gate” they introduced which allowed numerous exemptions. Following challenges to penalty tickets issued, the independent Adjudicators, who decide on penalty appeals, upheld appeals and decided it was not a bus gate due to having too many exemptions, which rendered it unenforceable. Hopefully Oxford will be mindful of this, which might be one of the reasons they are doing it as a trial.

None of this is anything to do with 15 minute neighbourhoods, which is a town / spatial planning concept about having all necessary local amenities within 15 mins walk / cycle distance of residential developments.

There is nothing in any linked document to suggest there is going to be any “trial” of anything here in Sheffield.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

if i'm right, this detail comes from the Oxford scheme.

the 'passes' are basically permission slips to use bus gates.

seems generous to me...

Edited by ads36

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

To put it in plain English, what Oxford are referring to as “Traffic Filters” are in fact bus gates.

Their proposal, which they intend to carry out as a trial, is that they will introduce the 6 bus gates and allow residents of Oxford to have a permit which gives them exemption from the bus gate restrictions on 100 days a year. Residents of the wider Oxfordshire area would be able to get a permit for exemption on 25 days a year.

To give some local context, Sheffield Council operate a similar permit scheme at the Hillsborough Corner bus/tram gate which gives permanent exemption to residents of Rudyard Rd and some small streets which run off it ( because of the long diversion they would need to take to observe the restrictions).

I recall that York Council ran into problems with a “bus gate” they introduced which allowed numerous exemptions. Following challenges to penalty tickets issued, the independent Adjudicators, who decide on penalty appeals, upheld appeals and decided it was not a bus gate due to having too many exemptions, which rendered it unenforceable. Hopefully Oxford will be mindful of this, which might be one of the reasons they are doing it as a trial.

None of this is anything to do with 15 minute neighbourhoods, which is a town / spatial planning concept about having all necessary local amenities within 15 mins walk / cycle distance of residential developments.

There is nothing in any linked document to suggest there is going to be any “trial” of anything here in Sheffield.

Great post. Be prepared for people to say you are totally wrong though, becos Katie Hopkins sed so.

14 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Great post. Be prepared for people to say you are totally wrong though, becos Katie Hopkins sed so.

Don't decide for other people how they think.

YES, I will say that Planner 1 is wrong about this and   I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF KATIE HOPKINS.  I can think for myself, thank you.

I have read a document, which I will try to find again which shows, with photos, blocking street ends off and this being part of the Oxford scheme.

This being nothing whatsoever to do with bus gates.

People will be limited as to how many times a year they can cross from one zone to another.

If the people of Oxford want that, then fine.  I'm quite sure that the people of Sheffield will NOT want that.

Edited by Organgrinder

4 minutes ago, dan_999uk said:

The people of Sheffield aren't getting that, and neither are Oxford. 

Not what this says

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/towns-restricting-driving

excerpt

The Oxford scheme explained

Under the Oxford Traffic Filters scheme, six ‘filters’ around the city centre would see signs installed indicating that private cars are not allowed to pass through these points. Unauthorised vehicles travelling through these filters will be detected by Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras, with drivers receiving a fine of £70 if they drive through.

The filters will operate seven days a week from 7am to 7pm, and ban only private cars from crossing them. All other vehicles (buses, taxis, vans, motorcycles, HGVs and emergency service vehicles) would be able to pass the filters without incurring penalties.

Oxford residents will be given 100 day permits each year, allowing them to cross the filters on that number of days without being penalised. A maximum of three sets of 100 permits will be issued to each household, with only one car per person attached to each permit.

Edited by Organgrinder

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

People will be limited as to how many times a year they can cross from one zone to another.

If the people of Oxford want that, then fine.

Its a good job they arent getting that then.

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Yes, that confirms residents will get 100 free goes at driving through six bus gates. Sounds good to me tbh.

Edited by HeHasRisen