Time To Ship Our Murderers Abroad.

I was in Belize in 1998 and went on a trip organised by the RMP to the prison. We went by landrover into the jungle before the ground cleared before us to view a valley with a tall circular fence.

We went through the gates and was met with an awful stench that was worse than any zoo I've visited.

We met the governor who showed us around the site.

The first building held 60 men with some sorry looking Americans in the front bars. The governor explained they had been caught drug smuggling in a power boat four days previously and have been keeping the rest of the men entertained.

The buildings were arranged so they faced the centre where a large water cannon watered the inmates and cleaned the buildings each day.

The smelly sludge would run down into the centre of the valley. Having a tin can to hold water was high currency along with having any cigarettes.

I'm glad that most people have not been exposed to the devils that humans can be, so they dont know how dangerous some people can be.

It's good to think that people can be rehabilitated and in some cases that is possible. There are other cases though where people will not change and holding them in cells is useless.

People go mad when animals are locked up in cages but they think its ok for humans to be locked up in cages. Is that really modern first world thinking?

Prison should be a short sharp shock as the cost to taxpayers and society is considerable.

If prison is not going to rehabilitate then the alternative would be to pay back to society in other ways or end them.

We can't go on paying for endless terms in prison at 50K/year when we have innocent people who need care.

Time to be tough, not weak.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Clearly the obvious solution is to put less people in prison in the first place but I cant see this washing with the raging right wing gammon contingent of the forum.

Why would you want to put less criminals in prison?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Why would you want to put less criminals in prison?

I didnt state that opinion, merely offered it as a way of saving money on incarcerating people. Clearly not everyone will agree with this.

It also clearly depends on the crime. I dont think there is an issue tbh, as part of a civilised society we have to concede incarcerating people will cost money.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

I didnt state that opinion, merely offered it as a way of saving money on incarcerating people. Clearly not everyone will agree with this.

The obvious answer is to build more prisons. I don't know why this is a problem.

Creates more jobs an all.

Win win.

23 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

The obvious answer is to build more prisons. I don't know why this is a problem.

Creates more jobs an all.

Win win.

Well, except the cost per prisoner scales up with it, because you need to sink the extra prison building costs into it. So logically, someone on the tax paying side needs to lose.

Regardless of whether that’s shouldered 100% by the HO, or semi- or fully-privatised to service providers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

Well, except the cost per prisoner scales up with it, because you need to sink the extra prison building costs into it. So logically, someone on the tax paying side needs to lose.

Regardless of whether that’s shouldered 100% by the HO, or semi- or fully-privatised to service providers.

I would rather that than criminals be on the streets.

1 minute ago, Al Bundy said:

I would rather that than criminals be on the streets.

Well, for that, the CJS needs some serious sorting out first, tbh. Courts (the actual buildings), Court staff, representatives fees and rates, etc.

Those nurses and train drivers and border force staff and <…> currently striking round-robbin -like? Crown prosecution and defense barristers started striking a good while  earlier: the CJS is as bust as the NHS.

But it’s far less of a sacred cow than the NHS, of course.