Hospitals In Crisis

3 hours ago, L00b said:

Increasing shortages of meds (and other medical supplies, e.g. oxygen more recently) in the UK are a byproduct of Brexit, unfortunately, and so not easily solvable short-term.

I’m unfamiliar with hospital procedures and discharging policies, which could well explain this “bed blocking until meds are sorted” approach, and maybe there is something to be done in that respect. But procedural shortcuts for expediency would likely be at the expense of patient safety, and that would create a professional conflict for healthcare staff obligated under a duty of care. Again, not easily solvable.

Am glad for you that you are better 🙂

My bold

I must have missed the news over Xmas that Germany had left the EU.  Maybe that's why they have a medical supply shortage at the moment. 

https://www.dw.com/en/german-doctors-warn-medicine-shortages-will-last-for-months/a-64176121

30 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold

I must have missed the news over Xmas that Germany had left the EU.  Maybe that's why they have a medical supply shortage at the moment. 

https://www.dw.com/en/german-doctors-warn-medicine-shortages-will-last-for-months/a-64176121

Ah, I’d been missing your contrarian passive-aggressiveness on Brexit issues 😆

Yes, other countries -including EU member states- also experience medicines’ shortages. And even healthcare sector crises, would you believe.

But they’re located much earlier than the UK in the European healthcare supply pipelines and are wholly unaffected by shrinking international transporting capacity.

Germany hasn’t left the EU, has the same EU regulatory regime for medicines approval and distribution as all the other EU states, is in the Single Market with full-on cabotage capacity, whereby selling whatever stock of imported meds gets into Dutch, Belgian, (…) warehouses to Germany, is as easy as agreeing a price, boxing them with an invoice and finding some room on a passing HGV (-plated wherever, but typically Lithuania or Romania these days), job done. Even when there isn’t enough meds to go around (that simply pushes the unit price up, hence the German government’s blank chequebook approach in your link), it’s still no more complicated than selling <whatever> to a buyer in the next street, city or county.

Not so for the Brexited UK any more (which competes with the Germans of your example to buy those meds from EU importers, by the way). And so, inevitably, https://www.nationalhealthexecutive.com/articles/uk-medicine-shortageshttps://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/news-item/what-happened-to-those-brexit-medicines-shortages.

You can be as ideologically opposed to EU membership as you want, and try and both-side any negative aspects of Brexit for whatever reason you see fit. But you can’t ever fight trade economics. Because that’s simple reality, unencumbered by beliefs and opinions.

Edited by L00b

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

Ah, I’d been missing your contrarian passive-aggressiveness on Brexit issues 😆

Yes, other countries -including EU member states- also experience medicines’ shortages. And even healthcare sector crises, would you believe.

But they’re located much earlier than the UK in the European healthcare supply pipelines and are wholly unaffected by shrinking international transporting capacity.

Germany hasn’t left the EU, has the same EU regulatory regime for medicines approval and distribution as all the other EU states, is in the Single Market, whereby selling whatever stock of imported meds gets into Dutch, Belgian, (…) warehouses to Germany, is as easy as agreeing a price, boxing them with an invoice and finding some room on a passing HGV (-plated wherever, but typically Lithuania or Romania these days), job done.

And so, inevitably, https://www.nationalhealthexecutive.com/articles/uk-medicine-shortageshttps://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/news-item/what-happened-to-those-brexit-medicines-shortages.

You can be as ideologically opposed to EU membership as you want, and try and both-side any negative aspects of Brexit for whatever reason you see fit. But you can’t ever fight trade economics. Because that’s simple reality, unencumbered by beliefs and opinions.

My bold. 

You're the one that's trying to start a "It's because we've left the EU, (and I'm still a grumpy Remainer, blah, blah), that's why there's a shortage of medical supplies", argument, when it clearly doesn't exist.  Take the. nonsense over to the Brexit thread.   It's an international problem. 

Oh dear.  Its raining again.  If only we'd have stayed in the EU. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

You're the one that's trying to start a "It's because we've left the EU, (and I'm still a grumpy Remainer, blah, blah), that's why there's a shortage of medical supplies", argument, when it clearly doesn't exist.  Take the. nonsense over to the Brexit thread.   It's an international problem. 

Oh dear.  Its raining again.  If only we'd have stayed in the EU. 

Hardly. I posted an explanation for the OP’s predicament and experience, which has been acknowledged by the BMA and countless Health Trusts, supported with links.

But as usual, any mention of a Brexit consequence by me, in any thread, is just a red rag to you, whence you just barged in with your usual whattaboutery. And now some bad faith on top, for a change.

That’s me out of this thread, you’re too much of a bad smell.

11 minutes ago, L00b said:

Hardly. I posted an explanation for the OP’s predicament and experience, which has been acknowledged by the BMA and countless Health Trusts, supported with links.

But as usual, any mention of a Brexit consequence by me, in any thread, is just a red rag to you, whence you just barged in with your usual whattaboutery. And now some bad faith on top, for a change.

Mardy bum 

1 hour ago, L00b said:

My bold. 

Oh, if only I'd voted to remain, I'd smell much more pleasant

4 hours ago, pattricia said:

There has always been a hold up of meds at pharmacies in hospitals. I have know patients who have been discharged then have to wait hours for their meds. I’m sure we are not that short of chemists ?

My first stay in hospital after an operation was in 1977 since then I've had 7 more stays.    Every time when I've been discharged, I have had to wait hours and hours for my meds to be brought up to the ward.  So it seems like nothing has improved in 46 years !! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Mardy bum 

Wazzock

Have some more testimony from the NHS trenches about ‘hospital in crisis’. 

I can post the same about other EU countries’ healthcare services, for the asking Gammoaners desperate for ‘balance’. No skin off my nose, since it has sod all to do with British hospitals and the NHS 😘

• Like 1