Hospitals In Crisis

The important 3rd tier of care has been overlooked and undervalued. Social care has suffered for decades with dwindling wages and so massive losses in care providers. There needs to be a national service for school leavers if they are not enrolled in other work.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Findlay said:

The important 3rd tier of care has been overlooked and undervalued. Social care has suffered for decades with dwindling wages and so massive losses in care providers. There needs to be a national service for school leavers if they are not enrolled in other work.

Social care has always been the Cinderella of the health Service, ever since it was separated from the NHS, and basically privatised. Yet it is integral to helping the NHS run smoothly and at full capacity. It needs to be reintegrated with the NHS forthwith, to the benefit of both parties

I would also like to see a proper career structure, with training and pay to match in the social care sector. At the moment there are too many agencies taking the profits and giving very little back to the workers.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 3

I needed a repeat prescription for an ear infection. I get them 3-4 times a year so its not an unknown occurrence.

Tried emailing the surgery for one - nope.

Tried the online e-consult service with photos - nope.

Tried ringing - nope, the doctor MUST see you.

So had to spend from the 23rd to the 3rd needing medicine. Luckily ibuprofen was taking the pain away - I'd rather suffer with deafness in one ear than clog up A&E as its neither "A" or "E".  

Finally saw the doc, was in and out within two minutes.  

That could have all been dealt with by my local pharmacist if they were given the powers.

Ironically my local doctors is recruiting patients to form a new participation group.  Why a new one? Well:

A Patient Participation Group (PPG) gives an opportunity for there to be two-way communication and decision making between the practice staff and its users. It allows us to communicate what the practice is being challenged to deliver, whilst giving patients the opportunity to influence how we may deliver the initiatives we are contractually obliged to do so.

We recently had to disband the historic PPG since we could no longer see the group as a critical friend as the feedback, we were receiving was becoming non-constructive.

On 03/01/2023 at 07:40, L00b said:

whereby selling whatever stock of imported meds gets into Dutch, Belgian, (…) warehouses to Germany, is as easy as agreeing a price, boxing them with an invoice and finding some room on a passing HGV (-plated wherever, but typically Lithuania or Romania these days), job done.

Lol

Sounds easy, only to a Capitalist.

Unfortunately that's not how governments run their business!

Even on more serious matters we were told here would be settled by years end!  :)

See:

EU fails to agree on Russian oil price cap, say diplomats

Nov 28, 2022 — BRUSSELS, Nov 28 (Reuters) - European Union governments failed to agree on Monday on a price cap on Russian seaborne crude oil, ...

You got "Diplomats" to contend with here, and "Committees".  :)

5 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Sounds easy, only to a Capitalist.

How easy is it, for an English business to sell to a Scottish, Welsh or Norther Irish customer?

Why do you think it’s any harder for sellers of different countries within the Single Market?

7 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Unfortunately that's not how governments run their business!

Businesses don’t care one little bit about how governments run their business, save as to how much tax and costs doing business under a government is costing them, and to what extent governments invest that tax in infrastructure to benefit their logistics and in education and healthcare to benefit their workforce.

We’ve all seen how “well” the last few governments (since the Theresa May one) run their business. Businesses have been voting with their feet in consequence.

Which has precious little to do with “hospitals in crisis” (and your habitual dig at EU/Russia oil still less), so that’s quite the whattaboutery post there, champ 👍🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

I needed a repeat prescription for an ear infection. I get them 3-4 times a year so its not an unknown occurrence.

Tried emailing the surgery for one - nope.

Tried the online e-consult service with photos - nope.

Tried ringing - nope, the doctor MUST see you.

So had to spend from the 23rd to the 3rd needing medicine. Luckily ibuprofen was taking the pain away - I'd rather suffer with deafness in one ear than clog up A&E as its neither "A" or "E".  

Finally saw the doc, was in and out within two minutes.  

That could have all been dealt with by my local pharmacist if they were given the powers.

Ironically my local doctors is recruiting patients to form a new participation group.  Why a new one? Well:

Join our group to help us help you .  If you say anything we don’t like , you’re out 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2023 at 10:48, Anna B said:

These delays have a long history, they're nothing new and not at all uncommon so you'd think they'd have managed to sort something out by now. We keep being told that a night in hospital costs hundreds of pounds, and we all know beds are in short supply, so why is this still happening?

It's what happens when you pump endless of amounts of cash into a system, and condition the public not to ask any questions about how it is spent or managed. Nearly year end, time to buy more art probably.

Edited by fools
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fools said:

It's what happens when you pump endless of amounts of cash into a system, and condition the public not to ask any questions about how it is spent or managed. Nearly year end, time to buy more art probably.

Financial year end for the NHS is 31 March.