Hospitals In Crisis

8 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I needed a repeat prescription for an ear infection. I get them 3-4 times a year so its not an unknown occurrence.

Tried emailing the surgery for one - nope.

Tried the online e-consult service with photos - nope.

Tried ringing - nope, the doctor MUST see you.

So had to spend from the 23rd to the 3rd needing medicine. Luckily ibuprofen was taking the pain away - I'd rather suffer with deafness in one ear than clog up A&E as its neither "A" or "E".  

Finally saw the doc, was in and out within two minutes.  

That could have all been dealt with by my local pharmacist if they were given the powers.

We were over in Sheffield from France visiting family the week before Christmas. I came down with cellulitis (skin inflammation) - 5th time in 12 years. It's classed as a medical emergency - if left untreated it can spread and cause all sorts of complications. From previous experience I knew a prescription for antibiotics would cure it. Rang my old medical practice and pharmacy - no can do. Wasn't going to bother A&E - takes longer for them to write out the the scrip than do the diagnosis. Tried ringing 111 - queue of at least 20 mins. Completed the online forms on NHS 111.

At 10 to 2 in the morning got a call - a quick chat with the doc while I described my symptoms and answered a few questions and he sent a scrip to Boots on High Street for me to collect when the shop opened later in the morning - sorted!

Yes - pharmacists should be given the powers for repeat prescriptions - it would save patients and the NHS so much time. Previous scrips, GP notes / diagnosis are all recorded on the NHS patient database. Would hope a qualified pharmacist sould make an informed decision from them.

23 minutes ago, fools said:

no it isn't

so no point then, just a petty pointless snipe

Yep - your post that it's nearly the year end is pointless. 3 months away - a long time in the NHS - still billions of £ to pay out in wages, supplies, equipment, maintenance of premises, heating and lighting etc etc. Year end won't even be on the agenda for a couple of months (ex-NHS finance worker).

Edited by Longcol

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

Yep - your post that it's nearly the year end is pointless. 3 months away - a long time in the NHS - still billions of £ to pay out in wages, supplies, equipment, maintenance of premises, heating and lighting etc etc. Year end won't even be on the agenda for a couple of months (ex-NHS finance worker).

Wouldn't  brag off about that 

11 minutes ago, Longcol said:

You popped into this thread and decided to waste the limited time you have left on this planet to argue with a stranger about the definition of the word nearly

get a grip

The nhs and a whole host of public bodies will be in the process of working out how to spaff their budget up the wall to avoid an underspend, anyone who has worked in such an organisation will know this. You obviously lacked planning skills

Edited by fools

2 minutes ago, fools said:

You popped into this thread and decided to waste the limited time you have left on this planet to argue with a stranger about the definition of the word nearly

get a grip

The nhs and a whole host of public bodies will be in the process of working out how to spaff their budget up the wall to avoid an underspend, anyone who has worked in such an organisation will know this. You obviously lacked planning skills

Nope - we planned things so we didn't bother about the year end until early March. Easy really.

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

Nope - we planned things so we didn't bother about the year end until early March. Easy really.

if you have to bother planning about year end in march, your planning beforehand obviously wasn't up to scratch. visicalc has been around for decades.

1 hour ago, fools said:

if you have to bother planning about year end in march, your planning beforehand obviously wasn't up to scratch. visicalc has been around for decades.

Visicalc died in the early 80's and was a spreadsheet rather than a planning tool - Ok you could do some limited "what if" calcs with it.  Bit of critical path analysis was far more efficient - highlighted what bottlenecks there might be, what staff we had available, timetable needed for budget holders to get invoices to finance etc.

And then always the unknowns like what politicians / the board etc might suddenly decide thay wanted money spent on - or we had bad weather in Jan and Feb and heating, ambulance prangs, staff sickness suddenly increased.

Edited by Longcol