The Guardian

33 minutes ago, sibon said:

It’s probably best if you read all of the relevant posts before commenting.

It might avoid you posting something embarrassing.

Another would be moderator! A dime a dozen :)

I see is someone who goes to great pains to post an honest opinion, and gives his reasons, being trolled and called names, either directly, or by inference! Again, a dime a dozen.

That's what I call embarrassing!

"Connect the dots"?   :)  (Slight edit above, connecting the dots, involves 3 "seems to"s, in one short post)

Don't agree with many folks on here, but I do enjoy an adult discussion!

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

In a nutshell my point is the hypocrisy of the Guardian.

I stand by that wholeheartedly.

A great shame then that all you managed was, for all the reasons above, to highlight your own! :?

Edited by Magilla
  • Haha 1

Not read all of the thread... but, i do grin about the likes of John Legend:

He felt 'Baby It's Cold Outside' was a bit rapey, so recorded a version with alternative lyrics...

But, he's happy to hang around, and be good mates with, rappers who spout horrendously misogynistic lyrics.

I'm not saying that the rappers should be cancelled - if people listen to their 'music' then fair enough... it's the hypocrisy that i have a problem with.

A bit like with the 'F' word controversy in Fairytale of New York - one section of society say it's outdated language and should be censored, but are happy for people from certain backgrounds to say what they like, no matter how -ist or phobic their lyrics are.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

Not read all of the thread... but, i do grin about the likes of John Legend:

He felt 'Baby It's Cold Outside' was a bit rapey, so recorded a version with alternative lyrics...

But, he's happy to hang around, and be good mates with, rappers who spout horrendously misogynistic lyrics.

I'm not saying that the rappers should be cancelled - if people listen to their 'music' then fair enough... it's the hypocrisy that i have a problem with.

A bit like with the 'F' word controversy in Fairytale of New York - one section of society say it's outdated language and should be censored, but are happy for people from certain backgrounds to say what they like, no matter how -ist or phobic their lyrics are.

Did that all just come out of your head, because you saw the words “The Guardian “?

Anyway, well done for giving me another full house  on Wokey Pokey bingo.

I’d reply to all of your “points” individually, if indeed they were points.

Let’s just settle on one for now. Here is what the Pogues had to say, when Lovely Laurence Fox said the same thing as you about Fairytale of New York. (Imagine being on the same side as Fox)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8964253/amp/BBC-Radio-1-presenters-playing-uncensored-version-Fairytale-New-York.html

Edited by sibon

8 hours ago, sibon said:

Did that all just come out of your head, because you saw the words “The Guardian “?

Anyway, well done for giving me another full house  on Wokey Pokey bingo.

I’d reply to all of your “points” individually, if indeed they were points.

Let’s just settle on one for now. Here is what the Pogues had to say, when Lovely Laurence Fox said the same thing as you about Fairytale of New York. (Imagine being on the same side as Fox)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8964253/amp/BBC-Radio-1-presenters-playing-uncensored-version-Fairytale-New-York.html

The Pogues, according to that article, didn't 'say' anything, they just called Fox a Nazi. It appears they haven't given an opinion on the song being censored for radio, they just seem yo have a problem with a semi-famous person offering an opinion.

Look - i haven't got a problem with the censoring, as such, it's the double-standard. Either allow all potentially offensive content or censor everything and cancel those who spout 'outdated' lyrics.

5 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

The Pogues, according to that article, didn't 'say' anything, they just called Fox a Nazi. It appears they haven't given an opinion on the song being censored for radio, they just seem yo have a problem with a semi-famous person offering an opinion.

Not for offering an opinion - for using the controversy over their song to promote something they disagree with. A bit like when politicians use songs as part of their campaigns by artists who are politically opposed to them and have not given them permission to do so.

1 hour ago, altus said:

Not for offering an opinion - for using the controversy over their song to promote something they disagree with. A bit like when politicians use songs as part of their campaigns by artists who are politically opposed to them and have not given them permission to do so.

Fair enough - they don't want someone using their song for political gain. Thanks for clarifying.

1 hour ago, leviathan13 said:

Fair enough - they don't want someone using their song for political gain. Thanks for clarifying.

To put the Guardian in a nut shell , If you are a conservative you don’t  like the papers, But as far as I am concerned, they tell a lot off truth about the state off the country today,  But if you don’t like it then why are you reading it