Should We Forgive People Who Gave Cheap Christmas Presents?

On 04/01/2023 at 12:07, rogets said:

We are meeting up with some friends at the weekend , as its a birthday and we totted up that we spent £34 on their gifts for Christmas 

We googled their presents, the box of chocolates and the socks for both of us and they spent £14 tops on our gifts.  The Swiss chocolates can clearly be bought from Asda, they aren't chocolates that were imported from  Switzerland 

Needless to say we are aware we are £20 down and as we are meeting them on Saturday for drinks we feel they should get at least 2 rounds of drinks to compensate the fact we spent more on their presents 

We are going  to raise  this issue with them on Saturday. 

Can you forgive people who spent less on your Christmas present than you spent on them? 

Hi Rogets,

I sympathize with your plight,

However you should get to grips with the situation..........

The same thing happened to me 40yrs ago, I quickly realized that I was being taken advantage off.

So I got myself a Ledger, and whenever someone buys me a gift I jot down the cost and enter it into my Ledger...

When it comes to reciprocate, I simply spend exactly the same, less 10%.

This way you will always be in front..

Over the years I'm reckon I'm quids in.

Hope this helps.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Hi Rogets,

I sympathize with your plight,

However you should get to grips with the situation..........

The same thing happened to me 40yrs ago, I quickly realized that I was being taken advantage off.

So I got myself a Ledger, and whenever someone buys me a gift I jot down the cost and enter it into my Ledger...

When it comes to reciprocate, I simply spend exactly the same, less 10%.

This way you will always be in front..

Over the years I'm reckon I'm quids in.

Hope this helps.

Ebeneezer Padders and Flapper Cratchet.  :hihi:

• Haha 1

On 04/01/2023 at 17:47, bassett one said:

have you never heard of its the thought that counts ?

I agree with this. Personally, I think you are just being churlish and ungrateful.  Surely, we should just be grateful that someone cares enough to buy us a gift in the first place. So what if the gift is cheap - or not all that useful?  We  must be sensitive to the fact that many people are operating on a very low budget.  Surely it's the thought that counts....isn't it? If you really object to getting  cheap gifts from your financially-poor  friends or relatives, why not just be honest enough to tell them not to buy you a gift at all?