Barrow Woman Guilty Of False Rape Claims : Implications Of This/Similar Cases

24 minutes ago, sibon said:

I think I’ll just say that maybe rape cases should be investigated much more thoroughly. And that we need more of them to result in convictions of rapists.

So, bearing in mind that, by their very nature, these offences take place in private, and usually between people who know each other, how exactly do you propose to increase the rate of conviction without shifting the burden of proof ?

Remembering, of course, that someone is innocent until proven guilty, i.e. the burden is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused is guilty ?

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

So, bearing in mind that, by their very nature, these offences take place in private, and usually between people who know each other, how exactly do you propose to increase the rate of conviction without shifting the burden of proof ?

Remembering, of course, that someone is innocent until proven guilty, i.e. the burden is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused is guilty ?

My bold 

Actually I hadn't considered that. I certainly don't have the answer but I'll be interested to see what suggestions are made. 

24 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

There are lots of things that can be done. For example, investigations need to be quicker and more supportive of the alleged victim. The interrogation of phone data needs to be done differently and quickly, to encourage people to come forward, without thinking that their entire private life will become the property of the police.

Getting more cases to court would also help, even if they don’t all result in convictions and the witnesses need supporting carefully. 

There is nothing wrong with tilting the justice system in favour of the victims. That is a principle that I’d like to see in place for many different crimes.

14 minutes ago, sibon said:

There are lots of things that can be done. For example, investigations need to be quicker and more supportive of the alleged victim. The interrogation of phone data needs to be done differently and quickly, to encourage people to come forward, without thinking that their entire private life will become the property of the police.

Getting more cases to court would also help, even if they don’t all result in convictions and the witnesses need supporting carefully. 

There is nothing wrong with tilting the justice system in favour of the victims. That is a principle that I’d like to see in place for many different crimes.

No, it shouldn't be tilted in any direction. 

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

No, it shouldn't be tilted in any direction. 

I think it is fine to tilt the system in favour of the victims.

The outcomes should be unbiased. But that is a product of the court proceedings and the evidence presented. That is very different to the entire justice system.

4 minutes ago, sibon said:

The outcomes should be unbiased. But that is a product of the court proceedings and the evidence presented. That is very different to the entire justice system.

Alleged victims 

31 minutes ago, sibon said:

No I don't agree. How far do you tilt it? When does tilting become a bias? 

The law should be balanced showing no favour to either party. 

Just now, The_DADDY said:

No I don't agree. How far do you tilt it? When does tilting become a bias? 

The law should be balanced showing no favour to either party. 

But I’m not talking about the law. 

I’m saying that that investigation of crime should be tilted in favour of the complainant. That certainly isn’t the case for rape victims at the moment.I fully agree that the court proceedings need to be scrupulously balanced , but that is a totally different matter.

52 minutes ago, sibon said:

My bold.

This I agree with 100% 

I could tell you a story where a well known individual (in a particular field) was allowed to escape prosecution because SYP not only neglected to seize either parties phone but then PHONED the alleged nonce and made an arrangement to go for police interview the following week 🙄

Said alleged nonce unfortunately 'lost' his phone and bought a new one. He then contacted the alleged victim and threatened her so she would 'lose' her phone too.

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

But I’m not talking about the law. 

I’m saying that that investigation of crime should be tilted in favour of the complainant. That certainly isn’t the case for rape victims at the moment.I fully agree that the court proceedings need to be scrupulously balanced , but that is a totally different matter.

I seem to be missing the point a bit.

New meds, cloudy head, forgive me.

Can you explain what you mean in a bit more detail please? How do you want the investigation tilted in favour of the complainant?