Barrow Woman Guilty Of False Rape Claims : Implications Of This/Similar Cases

50 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

This I agree with 100% 

I could tell you a story where a well known individual (in a particular field) was allowed to escape prosecution because SYP not only neglected to seize either parties phone but then PHONED the alleged nonce and made an arrangement to go for police interview the following week 🙄

Said alleged nonce unfortunately 'lost' his phone and bought a new one. He then contacted the alleged victim and threatened her so she would 'lose' her phone too.

I seem to be missing the point a bit.

New meds, cloudy head, forgive me.

Can you explain what you mean in a bit more detail please? How do you want the investigation tilted in favour of the complainant? 

I believe, and I'm sure Sibon will correct me if I'm wrong, that he's referring to rape victims having to go through the legal system twice in a way.

They go through it firstly by trying convince the police and CPS that there is a case to answer, and that can involve quite in depth and personal investigation into the victims personality/behaviour/etc. Then once the CPS are convinced there is a case to answer, the victim has to go through it again in a court of law. I think Sibon is saying step one could be a little easier whilst step two (a court case) should, of course, be unbiased and based on facts.

Having said all that, I've had a couple of beers so could be well off the mark :)

Anonymity should be a given until a verdict is given in the court.

20 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

I believe, and I'm sure Sibon will correct me if I'm wrong, that he's referring to rape victims having to go through the legal system twice in a way.

They go through it firstly by trying convince the police and CPS that there is a case to answer, and that can involve quite in depth and personal investigation into the victims personality/behaviour/etc. Then once the CPS are convinced there is a case to answer, the victim has to go through it again in a court of law. I think Sibon is saying step one could be a little easier whilst step two (a court case) should, of course, be unbiased and based on facts.

Having said all that, I've had a couple of beers so could be well off the mark :)

Thank you whiteowl. That makes sense. 👍

Right, I'll get some stick here but I'll throw it out there.

My bold.

I'm not sure they have to convince the police and cps, they make the allegation and they are duty bound to investigate. The fact it involves indepth and personal investigations etc is a good thing and it needs to be as rigorous as possible. After all, a man or woman could spend a considerable amount of time in prison, lose friends, lose jobs, lose family, be ostracised for what could end up being a false allegation. 

Underlined 

This I agree needs looking at. What the answer is I've no idea but yeah, having to relive what might have been a horrific experience in front of a bunch of strangers must be difficult beyond belief. I tip my hat to anyone with the strength to do this. 

34 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

100% agree. Past the initial media appeal to the public for information I think once an arrest has been made there should be a kind of media blackout. Let it get to court and when a verdict is given publish the story? 

49 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Beer, or no beer, you are bang on the mark😁

12 hours ago, sibon said:

There are lots of things that can be done. For example, investigations need to be quicker and more supportive of the alleged victim. The interrogation of phone data needs to be done differently and quickly, to encourage people to come forward, without thinking that their entire private life will become the property of the police.

Getting more cases to court would also help, even if they don’t all result in convictions and the witnesses need supporting carefully. 

There is nothing wrong with tilting the justice system in favour of the victims. That is a principle that I’d like to see in place for many different crimes.

>>There is nothing wrong with tilting the justice system in favour of the victims. That is a principle that I’d like to see in place for many different crimes.<<

I could not disagree with you more. Where did you want to stop with that one ?

One can only hope you never find yourself in court for something you did not do. I suspect your opinion would change markedly.

>>without thinking that their entire private life will become the property of the police.<<

Bearing in mind that most rapes involve people who know each other and take place in private, it comes down to the question of consent. Thus people's private lives (particularly in relation to the accused) are paramount and should be fully investigated.

Edited by Chekhov

On 06/01/2023 at 21:45, sibon said:

I think it is fine to tilt the system in favour of the victims.

The outcomes should be unbiased. But that is a product of the court proceedings and the evidence presented. That is very different to the entire justice system.

How can the outcome be unbiased if the system is tilted in favour of the (presumed) victim?

4 hours ago, redruby said:

LOL, on the adverts on this thread there’s  ‘Lyubov, 47 Ukraine’ and ‘Secret Online Meets-stay anonymous online’ accompanied by pictures of ladies to lure in punters. 

You do know the adverts you see on this forum are dictated by your own internet history, dont you?

Tut tut.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

You do know the adverts you see on this forum are dictated by your own internet history, dont you?

Tut tut.

I would previously have agreed with you but I’m getting the Ukrainian women ads too.

Together with jobs at Aldi.

Edited by nikki-red