Tv Programmes That Have Lost Their Appeal.

pattricia

8 minutes ago, cressida said:

Thought they'd have  more channels than those.

Yes, a myriad of digital channels like we do that show repeats and a glut of imported programming. 

The fact they show UK versions of The Chase and Tipping Point on their two MAIN channels should tell you all you need to know about the state of TV down there.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

What like?

This is what the main networks in Australia have to enjoy tomorrow evening:

Seven Network

3pm - The Chase. Yes, thats right, The Chase. And not even the Australian version, its the UK one

4pm - An hour of news

5pm - The Chase! Again! At least its the Australian version this time

6pm - Yet another hour of news!

7pm - Home and Away (still on UK telly)

7.30pm - Australian Idol. The Australian version of a crappy reality show that was dumped in the UK decades ago

9.15pm - Quantum Leap. Yes, the original American programme. And two episodes of it, too.

Nine Network

3pm - Tipping Point. Yup, its the version with Ben Shepherd!

4pm - an hour of news

5pm - Millionaire Hot Seat. A daytime version of the original WHTBAM show from the UK

6pm - an hour of news

7pm - A Current Affair. Essentially their version of Panorama

7.30pm - Married At First Sight.  Channel 4 show the Australian version in the UK (on E4 I think)

9.05pm - The Hundred. Comedy panel quiz show.

10.05pm - more news

10.35pm - Botched. US programme about plastic surgery gone wrong

Look at all of that, do you really think they have it better down there than we do?

Anything half decent from Australia and NZ is already being show on various channels anyway, or the streaming services.

Your forgetting that its the middle of Summer down there, so all the Aussie's will be outside, tossing things on the the barbies. 

43 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Your forgetting that its the middle of Summer down there, so all the Aussie's will be outside, tossing things on the the barbies. 

Fair point. I still question what all these fantastic Antipodean programming we are missing out on is, though. 

57 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Fair point. I still question what all these fantastic Antipodean programming we are missing out on is, though. 

No, we're not be missing out on anything, including those from Down Under.  Apart from Neighbours & Home & Away, neither of which appealed to me & only Neighbours to my wife, the rest of the quality Australian / N. Z. programmes could be counted in the fingers of Captain Hook's bad hand as far as I'm concerned. 

In the last few years there's been 'Brokenwood Mysteries' from N.Z., although they only made about 3 series & the FV 'Drama Channel' must have shown theae at least 5 times now. 

BBC 4 is good for the foreign stuff with the Australian 'Mystery Road; Origin' series being a good watch as well as all the Scandi drama, 'The Bridge'; 'Beck', etc.  My favourite though is 'Inspector Montelbano' set in Sicily but with this  lot comes English subtitles which might put people off. 

Edited by Baron99

On 06/02/2023 at 10:26, cressida said:

Maybe we should have some Oz and N.Z.  quality programmes `

I loved 'Five Bedrooms' which was on TV recently. Set in Australia, it was about 5 disparate single people, different ages and class, who decide to buy and share a house together as that's the only way they can afford to do it. 

Very entertaining comedy drama. 

Did anyone else see it?

Also like the quality Aussie soap  'A Place to call Home' set after the War and the 1950's,

but peculiar scheduling means it's hard to track down and follow.

Edited by Anna B