Supermarkets Use Of Social Media

Over the last couple of years I've noticed how certain products have very quickly caught on with the public.

I've only become recently aware with the Prime energy drink that Aldi were marketing a couple of weeks ago, where mainly youngsters were thronging the doors of their local Aldi to get their hands on.

Prior to that it was some heated blanket / throw from Aldi, & a heated clothes horse.

Of course companies like Aldi are going to use social media to create supposed 'buzzes' around certain products, so that other people sit up and take notice.

Is it just me, or are others aware of this?

Most switched on businesses use social media. People are stupid these days so it's easy for them to get a buzz going about a useless product. Then the thickos lap it up whilst the coin rolls in.

Edited by The_DADDY

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Dont see the issue. Its exactly the right way to use social media if you are a business.

I'm not saying it is an issue. It's just something I've noticed, and it's always good to be aware of what strategies are being used.

How would companies go about getting their products to 'trend'?

That is when I use my search engine, it comes up with 'trending searches', and quite a few times Aldi's products have appeared, Do they have staff that type these searches in, so that it creates an appearance of a 'buzz' around a certain product?

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

Most switched on businesses use social media. People are stupid these days so it's easy for them to get a buzz going about a useless product. Then the thickos lap it up whilst the coin rolls in.

Hmm...that's a little harsh on people.

I suppose people are susceptible, especially in a cost of living crisis.

However - children and energy drinks is another matter. Perhaps there should be an age limit of 16 buying these products

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Hmm...that's a little harsh on people.

I suppose people are susceptible, especially in a cost of living crisis.

However - children and energy drinks is another matter. Perhaps there should be an age limit of 16 buying these products

My bold.

Yes, usually I'd agree and I wouldn't be so insulting but after seeing the scenes of people scrambling and fighting for those energy drinks I came to the conclusion they must be very very thick.

Re your other points,  yes I agree People are probably more susceptible right now with the cost of living problem and I've no problem with a company generating a social media buzz if the product helped people. 

Again, I agree these energy drinks should be made age restricted but then saying that kids will still get their hands on them. Ridiculous overpriced sugary water with chemical flavour..

Eugh, nasty..

Just now, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

Yes, usually I'd agree and I wouldn't be so insulting but after seeing the scenes of people scrambling and fighting for those energy drinks I came to the conclusion they must be very very thick.

Re your other points,  yes I agree People are probably more susceptible right now with the cost of living problem and I've no problem with a company generating a social media buzz if the product helped people. 

Again, I agree these energy drinks should be made age restricted but then saying that kids will still get their hands on them. Ridiculous overpriced sugary water with chemical flavour..

Eugh, nasty..

I just wonder what impact these drinks have on children's behaviour. All that sugar and caffeine, I bet they're bouncing off the walls at school. 

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

Eugh, nasty..

I assume most people were attempting to buy it at £2 a bottle to then sell on for higher prices. 

BTW energy drinks are age restricted, 16 and over, they flag up on supermarket tills.

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

I just wonder what impact these drinks have on children's behaviour. All that sugar and caffeine, I bet they're bouncing off the walls at school. 

See above. All energy drinks are age restricted. But like with anything, always a way to get what you want I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I banned my kids from drinking them years ago. It's horrible stuff. Now they are grown they don't even entertain them even though a lot of my daughters friends drink them before a workout she's never been tempted.

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I assume most people were attempting to buy it at £2 a bottle to then sell on for higher prices. 

Ha, perhaps I've got this all wrong. They were  clearly the clever ones.

The morons are the ones who pay the jacked up prices 🤣

Apparently Aldi protein pancakes are now all the rage

We ate Aldi's protein range and finally get the crazed hype for one particular product - Fatima Aziz - LancsLive

Perhaps Aldi could start selling Marshall McLuhan's "Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man", or John Fiske's "Understanding Popular Culture", then create a buzz on social media that these were flying off the shelf :hihi: