Any Hope For Us?

1 minute ago, Thug Life said:

I have an uncle who worked there when he was in the air force. 

My cousin married a pilot from there a good 45 years ago and they had their reception in the officers mess. We always used to go to the annual air display. Every year thet had a scramble by the Vulcan bombers and an overhead pass by the Lightning fighters - both of which were bloody noisy!

Best year (1964 or 65 at a guess) was when they had a Dr Who performance - Daleks on the runway being taken out by fighters - and the original Doctor, William Hartnell, being driven around in an open top limo waving to the crowd.

• Like 1

Like any star the sun will eventually pull all the planets into its dying black hole.

It could be a week on Tuesday or billions of years away so no need to think about it.

In billions of years time, they will find that the dinosaurs lasted longer than humanity.

Edited by Findlay

2 hours ago, Findlay said:

Like any star the sun will eventually pull all the planets into its dying black hole.

It could be a week on Tuesday or billions of years away so no need to think about it.

In billions of years time, they will find that the dinosaurs lasted longer than humanity.

That scenario won't happen in weeks. 

The sun will eventually burn out but it's not predicted to happen for millions of years 

14 hours ago, Waldo said:

For humanity? Any hope, or is it likely we’ll have set the nukes flying? I suspect there’s a good chance of the latter, eventually…

Maybe not in the next 5, 10, 20 years, but given our track record, how many decades, or centuries, before someone presses the button?

The issue with using nuclear weapons, and the reason why I think no major power will, is that not only do you destroy your target, but yourself too with the eventual fallout and nuclear winter.
It's not the country with 1000 nukes you should worry about, it's the guy who has only 1.

1 hour ago, Pyrotequila said:

The issue with using nuclear weapons, and the reason why I think no major power will, is that not only do you destroy your target, but yourself too with the eventual fallout and nuclear winter.
It's not the country with 1000 nukes you should worry about, it's the guy who has only 1.

The thing that concerns me the most, regarding the future of humanity, is how we allow a few people to be in positions of such unbelievable power and responsibility, who do have the capacity to cause untold destruction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The thing that concerns me the most, regarding the future of humanity, is how we allow a few people to be in positions of such unbelievable power and responsibility, who do have the capacity to cause untold destruction.

Its called democracy! ;)

21 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Well I suppose that we could have more  people controlling fewer, which reminds me of a company that I once worked for, nowt like trade union officialdom gone mad. 

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

Its called democracy! ;)

I find I’m less concerned with what a thing is called, and more concerned with the nature and dynamics of the thing itself.

Just because it’s called ‘democracy’ doesn’t mean it’s perfect and not without issues and problems.