Any Hope For Us?

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Well I suppose that we could have more  people controlling fewer, which reminds me of a company that I once worked for, nowt like trade union officialdom gone mad. 

Yeah, tricky.

What’s worse, having a few people in control running things, who are more concerned with serving their own interests, than making informed intelligent decisions that benefit the entire country. Or, every ill-informed man andy his dog gets a say?

Not sure I like either of those options, which do you prefer?

37 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Yeah, tricky.

What’s worse, having a few people in control running things, who are more concerned with serving their own interests, than making informed intelligent decisions that benefit the entire country. Or, every ill-informed man andy his dog gets a say?

Not sure I like either of those options, which do you prefer?

The politicians talk a lot but as for control, there are folk wearing grey suits that we’ve never heard of that have always run the country, how’s that for the ultimate cynic?

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

The politicians talk a lot but as for control, there are folk wearing grey suits that we’ve never heard of that have always run the country, how’s that for the ultimate cynic?

Depends on the country; Russia, N.Korea, others; generally, the people you see in power, are.

More democratic countries, like us, have more complex, less obvious power structures; I tend to think, a lot driven by corporations bending the political class to suit their own needs.

Edited by Waldo

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

I find I’m less concerned with what a thing is called, and more concerned with the nature and dynamics of the thing itself.

Just because it’s called ‘democracy’ doesn’t mean it’s perfect and not without issues and problems.

Funny that as I didn't say it was without issues or problems. Just pointing out the fact that the answer to your post #17 is that it is democracy mainly that enables these people to get voted into power and so grants them the power to do what they feel is right on behalf of the people.

Do you have an alternative way?

22 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Funny that as I didn't say it was without issues or problems. Just pointing out the fact that the answer to your post #17 is that it is democracy mainly that enables these people to get voted into power and so grants them the power to do what they feel is right on behalf of the people.

Do you have an alternative way?

Being able to choose between effectively, 2 parties, one of whom then goes on the govern (or more like, mis-govern) the country for 4 years; is a bit like being given the choice of paint colour for a respray of the Titanic, mid-Pacific.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Being able to choose between effectively, 2 parties, one of whom then goes on the govern (or more like, mis-govern) the country for 4 years; is a bit like being given the choice of paint colour for a respray of the Titanic, mid-Pacific.

That may be true for you but I ask again... Do you have an alternative way?

Guest makapaka

I see we’ve started sending tanks to Ukraine - prob to appease some CEO of a tank manufacturer.

that should speed our demise up a bit.