Any Hope For Us?

3 hours ago, Dromedary said:

That may be true for you but I ask again... Do you have an alternative way?

I have ideas, like anyone, however, I’m not paid to solve this kind of problem, and, even if I did have some kind of perfect system in mind, it’s irrelevant, because a lot of people are doing quite well exploiting the current system, and they’re not just going to give up the reigns of power.

Things constantly evolve though, let’s hope over the years, decades, centuries, they do get better, and our systems of governance don’t result in few people hoarding disproportionate amounts of resources and power.

I very much like some of the ideas from blockchain; specifically, it is trust-less and decentralised. Maybe something along those lines can be developed with a view to governance; a more robust system that doesn’t lend itself to inept or corrupt self-serving authorities.

Whatever technology or system is used, I think those are key problems we need to to solve, how do you stop corruption and inept individuals making decisions that we all have to suffer the consequences of.

• Thanks 1

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

I wouldn't worry.

They'll be weighed in for scrap in a month.

I’m not worried about the tanks - more the message.

3 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I’m not worried about the tanks - more the message.

The message is already clear. When Putin has done with the Ukraine we (as well as others ) are next. He's said as much. 

This country is neck deep this whole sorry mess. You don't see so much pro Ukraine propaganda these days do you.

Not as much time on 'news' channels is there.

Hardly any Ukraine flags flying from council buildings and police stations yeah?. 

Thats because the propaganda has done its job and sadly its going to cost this country and a lot of other countries a great deal. 

• Like 1

I think we probably went over the climate tipping point some time in the 80s, and the future of warfare, and subsequently armed insurgency, crime etc, will be robotized. The final liberation of "energy too cheap to meter" will unleash an exploitation of the earths resources at a rate unrivalled in history.

In some ironic act of self-destruction, we've created possibilities - through technology - we're ill-equipped to deal with (evolutionarily speaking).

So while the future may well hold mass-migration, a chaotic high-energy climate, famine, assassin drones and ecology collapses, some humans will survive. 

They're very resourceful.

But we've sent biological matter out to deep space. The planet has successfully sporulated. Everything else is just an epitaph.

Edited by Phanerothyme

38 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

The message is already clear. When Putin has done with the Ukraine we (as well as others ) are next. He's said as much. 

This country is neck deep this whole sorry mess. You don't see so much pro Ukraine propaganda these days do you.

Not as much time on 'news' channels is there.

Hardly any Ukraine flags flying from council buildings and police stations yeah?. 

Thats because the propaganda has done its job and sadly its going to cost this country and a lot of other countries a great deal. 

It’s hardly been off the news today  :huh:

On 13/01/2023 at 21:04, Waldo said:

For humanity? Any hope, or is it likely we’ll have set the nukes flying? I suspect there’s a good chance of the latter, eventually…

Maybe not in the next 5, 10, 20 years, but given our track record, how many decades, or centuries, before someone presses the button?

Are you free, a fortnight, next Thursday?  I'm looking a children's entertainer..

Ask them if there any hope but be prepared to have ice cream & j jelly at. thrown at; laughed & told tou aew stupid. 

Edited by Baron99

52 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Are you free, a fortnight, next Thursday?  I'm looking a children's entertainer..

Ask them if there any hope but be prepared to have ice cream & j jelly at. thrown at; laughed & told tou aew stupid. 

I can be, how much does it pay!?