Do You Remember Ngh Nurses Home

I did my Pupil Nurse training, remember them? Back in April 1979 and lived in the nurses home. Do they still exist these days? 
I have many good and also not so good memories of working at the NGH in Herries Road. The group of girls I trained with were a lovely bunch. Claire Bateman, Ann,( sorry can’t remember your surname)  Diane Jackson, Vicky Young , Helen Townsend I wonder what happened to them all. I left that hospital in 1980 and returned back home to Devon to continue my training and did keep in touch with a couple of girls for a while. 
Nursing is definitely not the career it was back then. It was hard work but at least the patients were well looked after and you could have some fun and enjoyment in nursing not like the horror stories we hear today. I feel very sorry for the NHS nursing and medical staff today and glad I’m 65 now and retired. I fully support these strikes and hope it brings this useless Government down. The only hope we have is to vote for Labour and to get rid of the Tories for good.  My Very Best Wishes to all the hard working staff at the Northern General hospital. 

I was a nurse there in the 60s and because I lived in the area, I didn’t live in the nurses home but can remember it. 
I loved my job and can remember the Matrons round of the wards every week. If we had nothing to do ( very rare) we had to clean the toilets out or tidy the linen room. I do think there are too many pen pushers in the NHS today and not enough “ hands on”.

19 hours ago, pattricia said:

I was a nurse there in the 60s and because I lived in the area, I didn’t live in the nurses home but can remember it. 
I loved my job and can remember the Matrons round of the wards every week. If we had nothing to do ( very rare) we had to clean the toilets out or tidy the linen room. I do think there are too many pen pushers in the NHS today and not enough “ hands on”.

I totally agree with you!! My friend is a nurse, and she says the amount of paperwork and online records

THEY have to do is crazy.  She is a proper 'hands on Nurse', often doing double shifts because they are short

staffed. What ever happened to secretarial medical dept staff? 

1 hour ago, Heartshome said:

I totally agree with you!! My friend is a nurse, and she says the amount of paperwork and online records

THEY have to do is crazy.  She is a proper 'hands on Nurse', often doing double shifts because they are short

staffed. What ever happened to secretarial medical dept staff? 

Yes, I agree. Bringing in the American idea of a” Nurses Station” on each ward was a bad idea. Before that there was just the Sisters office at the end of each ward, and you had to knock on her door and wait for her to shout “Enter”. She just had a secretary with her who took notes and typed them out. Now with the Nurses Station the staff just gather behind the unit and talk about what they did the night before ! A visitor who asks if the nurse will come and take their relative to the toilet or give them a bed pan, is met with “ I’m sorry but we are too busy at the moment !” Also bring back the Matrons who ruled with a rod of steel. They did a weekly round of each ward, and ran their finger along all the window sills and if they found any dust shouted “ See to that “ !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

Yes, I agree. Bringing in the American idea of a” Nurses Station” on each ward was a bad idea. Before that there was just the Sisters office at the end of each ward, and you had to knock on her door and wait for her to shout “Enter”. She just had a secretary with her who took notes and typed them out. Now with the Nurses Station the staff just gather behind the unit and talk about what they did the night before ! A visitor who asks if the nurse will come and take their relative to the toilet or give them a bed pan, is met with “ I’m sorry but we are too busy at the moment !” Also bring back the Matrons who ruled with a rod of steel. They did a weekly round of each ward, and ran their finger along all the window sills and if they found any dust shouted “ See to that “ !

SPOT ON! Yes, I remarked about the MATRON in a post on Netheredge Hospital, when I was in their having my

Daughter. There was NO messing about or ignoring patients needs with a MATRON in charge!! It was brilliantly

run and kept clean and efficient. 'BRING BACK THE MATRONS', seeing that the patients needs come first. Most Nurses

do their job I must say that, but it seems there are 'too many NHS Chefs and not enough Bottle Washers to my mind.