Celebrity Made Up Syndrome (Cmus)

Stop watching and stop buying. It is a business and we pay for it.

There are far more genuine, interesting stories and events that this lazy media should be covering.

I have no problems with a bit of news, gossip and tittle tattle- but this is cynical manipulation of the public where minor celebrities are adding more myth and exaggeration to their already grossly inflated public persona.

Media need content that attract audiences that attract advertisers to pay for the media, minor celebs provide content for free in return for advertising themselves. Everybody is a winner except the public who pay for for the advertised product and get their brain numbed.

Minor 'Celebrities' appear for free on low budget formats like daytime TV. They are invariably promoting their new book/film/show/return to/song/new album/product placement etc. in a campaign produced by their agents who will have contacted dozens of media outlets to tout their product to appear for free. In the vain attempt to get noticed they have to something 'new' to say and currently they all need to tell us about their 'woe's', their disability, disadvantaged lives, metal fragility, "nobody understands me", survival of abuse, drug rehab, weight loss etc.

Some magazines will pay for the copyright of photos, pay them photoshoots, permissions to use their names and employ ghost writers to create stories. They charge for their children's faces to appear 'unblurred'. They will pay major celebrities a lot as it sells magazines. The major 'royals' release a limited number of photos for free use. The ever increasing number of redundant 'royals' see it as income and charge each time their photos appear.

What can we do?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Stop watching and stop buying. It is a business and we pay for it.

There are far more genuine, interesting stories and events that this lazy media should be covering.

I have no problems with a bit of news, gossip and tittle tattle- but this is cynical manipulation of the public where minor celebrities are adding more myth and exaggeration to their already grossly inflated public persona.

Media need content that attract audiences that attract advertisers to pay for the media, minor celebs provide content for free in return for advertising themselves. Everybody is a winner except the public who pay for for the advertised product and get their brain numbed.

Minor 'Celebrities' appear for free on low budget formats like daytime TV. They are invariably promoting their new book/film/show/return to/song/new album/product placement etc. in a campaign produced by their agents who will have contacted dozens of media outlets to tout their product to appear for free. In the vain attempt to get noticed they have to something 'new' to say and currently they all need to tell us about their 'woe's', their disability, disadvantaged lives, metal fragility, "nobody understands me", survival of abuse, drug rehab, weight loss etc.

Some magazines will pay for the copyright of photos, pay them photoshoots, permissions to use their names and employ ghost writers to create stories. They charge for their children's faces to appear 'unblurred'. They will pay major celebrities a lot as it sells magazines. The major 'royals' release a limited number of photos for free use. The ever increasing number of redundant 'royals' see it as income and charge each time their photos appear.

What can we do?

Quite agree, the programme makers know they won't have to pay the minor 'celebrities' big money,  they bank on those who are desperate for exposure and also they know

that it gives some people something to talk about.

Ignore it.

2 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Don`t blame me because the only thing I pay for is the T.V. licence, which goes through my nose.

You may not be somebody who has never or will never ever go to a supermarket but the vast majority of people use a supermarket at some time or another.  In the current squeeze on spending in attempt to maintain their 'market share' every supermarket uses advertising to promote their brand. To hide their massive price hikes every supermarket uses advertising to promote their brand. Every well known brand is using advertising in attempt to discourage you from choosing a different brand. 

Not only are you paying more because it cost more to make and transport-fair enough, you are paying more for the product to maintain the profits of the supermarket and manufacturers as they sell less, you are paying more for the advertising of the supermarket and paying more for the advertising of  the brand name.

One current winner in business is 'media advertising' because the supermarkets need to spend money effectively on advertising to the greatest % of their target audience. Audience figures are all important. This dependence on audience figures drives the demand for the hugely popular 'celebrity' programming which includes the secondary 'gossip' programming.

Everybody pays.

8 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

You may not be somebody who has never or will never ever go to a supermarket but the vast majority of people use a supermarket at some time or another.  In the current squeeze on spending in attempt to maintain their 'market share' every supermarket uses advertising to promote their brand. To hide their massive price hikes every supermarket uses advertising to promote their brand. Every well known brand is using advertising in attempt to discourage you from choosing a different brand. 

Not only are you paying more because it cost more to make and transport-fair enough, you are paying more for the product to maintain the profits of the supermarket and manufacturers as they sell less, you are paying more for the advertising of the supermarket and paying more for the advertising of  the brand name.

One current winner in business is 'media advertising' because the supermarkets need to spend money effectively on advertising to the greatest % of their target audience. Audience figures are all important. This dependence on audience figures drives the demand for the hugely popular 'celebrity' programming which includes the secondary 'gossip' programming.

Everybody pays.

What has your latest post got to do with the topic?

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

What has your latest post got to do with the topic?

My first post expressed my view that it is the viewing public that generates the demand for 'celebrities'. 

My second post explained the symbiosis between media, 'elebrities and advertising and the need for these minor celebrities to generate interest -in this case the explosion of 'Celebrity Made Up Syndrome'.

My third post was in response to a widely held view that we are disconnected from the actions of the media and the programming it makes and hence 

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

My first post expressed my view that it is the viewing public that generates the demand for 'celebrities'. 

My second post explained the symbiosis between media, 'elebrities and advertising and the need for these minor celebrities to generate interest -in this case the explosion of 'Celebrity Made Up Syndrome'.

My third post was in response to a widely held view that we are disconnected from the actions of the media and the programming it makes and hence 

" symbiosis "  Good word  :thumbsup:

On 15/01/2023 at 12:02, pattricia said:

Exactly ! Also have you noticed the “ false tears “ of personalities?  They wipe their eyes but no tears are to be seen.! 

You mean like this

:hihi:

Does Matt Hancock have a personality?

Edited by Mister M