Another Police Rapist

6 minutes ago, Tipstaff said:

There are over 34,200 police officers in the Metropolitan Police alone.  I suppose that there will be a few bad apples, some like this one, very bad! 

I would expect that the vast majority are dedicated to the work and are sworn to uphold and maintain law and order.  This, they do with our consent and we must trust them to do it.  Like others in the emergency services, they are there time and again racing towards danger, when others are fleeing or hiding from it.  They too have loved ones who want to see them arrive home safe and well after a day or night at work.

The bad ones must expect nothing less than the full weight of the law.  This particular species of animal can almost guarantee that he will never see the outside again. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

He needs putting down  . 

1 hour ago, Tipstaff said:

There are over 34,200 police officers in the Metropolitan Police alone.  I suppose that there will be a few bad apples, some like this one, very bad! 

I would expect that the vast majority are dedicated to the work and are sworn to uphold and maintain law and order.  This, they do with our consent and we must trust them to do it.  Like others in the emergency services, they are there time and again racing towards danger, when others are fleeing or hiding from it.  They too have loved ones who want to see them arrive home safe and well after a day or night at work.

The bad ones must expect nothing less than the full weight of the law.  This particular species of animal can almost guarantee that he will never see the outside again. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

I would agree with much of what you said.

However I've just watched Newsnight, - the idea that it's a few rotten apples,....maybe, but there's also something more systemic. The culture of 'looking after your own' and the toxic canteen culture. There were certainly numerous complaints about this man, but nobody joined the dots.

It certainly made me think.

It's not on the iplayer yet - but I'd encourage people to watch it.

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 2

Just to put some objectivity into the discussion.

What percentage of police officers have been investigated for allegedly committing  serious crimes. ?

What percentage have been found guilty in a court of law.?

What percentage have been dismissed for their behaviour. ?

What percentage of those under investigation will be found innocent of the complaints  or the complaints been malicious. ?

2 Police officers have recently been rightly  convicted of very serious crimes.

Some  groups are giving the impression that the police can not be trusted, especially male officers

Serious mistakes were made with these officers by their organisations and this needs investigating but let's not class all officers as being untrustworthy or uncaring about the public.

Recruitment procedures and discipline probably need to be reintroduced as in the mid 1950/60/70s.

Edited by harvey19

13 hours ago, Mister M said:

I would agree with much of what you said.

However I've just watched Newsnight, - the idea that it's a few rotten apples,....maybe, but there's also something more systemic. The culture of 'looking after your own' and the toxic canteen culture. There were certainly numerous complaints about this man, but nobody joined the dots.

It certainly made me think.

It's not on the iplayer yet - but I'd encourage people to watch it.

Other professions - doctors, nurses, midwives, social workers, solicitors - have professional regulators that seem to do a good job of picking off the wrong 'uns. Many doctors live in fear of the General Medical Council, which suggests they've gone too far the other way, but the IOPC seem weak by comparison - making them a more effective regulator would be a good start.

Edit: god, it's worse than I thought https://novaramedia.com/2022/11/21/why-are-we-still-pretending-this-police-watchdog-is-independent/#:~:text=A large number of the,as of 2019%2C in fact.

Edited by Delbow
  • Like 2

I spent 33 years in a business which had close connections with the police. Over those years I got to know a lot of police officers and although I'm long retired still count a few of them as friends.

The majority of police officers are decent men and women doing their best to carry out their duties and help the public. However, just as in any trade or profession there are some nasty pieces of work involved as well.

The problem being that a serving police officer has the opportunity to use his or her occupation in a seriously damaging way toward their victim. It places their targeted victim in a very weak position. Who do they look to for help? Normaly it would be the police, but if one of theirs is the perpetrator how do you know that your complaint will be taken seriously and how can you be sure it won't get back to your tormentor resulting in further pain?

A serving police officer told me years ago that the Met police force is institutionally corrupt and nothing gets done about it because any new recruit thinking they should do the right thing and report it learns very quickly that it can be dangerious to the health to do so.

I wish the new guy all the best in his endeavours but Hercules had an easier job cleaning out the Augean Stables.

The Met is the worst force for dodgy dealings but other forces aren't exactly squeaky clean either. 

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Other professions - doctors, nurses, midwives, social workers, solicitors - have professional regulators that seem to do a good job of picking off the wrong 'uns. Many doctors live in fear of the General Medical Council, which suggests they've gone too far the other way, but the IOPC seem weak by comparison - making them a more effective regulator would be a good start.

Edit: god, it's worse than I thought https://novaramedia.com/2022/11/21/why-are-we-still-pretending-this-police-watchdog-is-independent/#:~:text=A large number of the,as of 2019%2C in fact.

Yep - the police watchdog is useless and toothless. Totally agree.

3 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Just to put some objectivity into the discussion.

What percentage of police officers have been investigated for allegedly committing  serious crimes. ?

What percentage have been found guilty in a court of law.?

What percentage have been dismissed for their behaviour. ?

What percentage of those under investigation will be found innocent of the complaints  or the complaints been malicious. ?

2 Police officers have recently been rightly  convicted of very serious crimes.

Some  groups are giving the impression that the police can not be trusted, especially male officers

Serious mistakes were made with these officers by their organisations and this needs investigating but let's not class all officers as being untrustworthy or uncaring about the public.

Recruitment procedures and discipline probably need to be reintroduced as in the mid 1950/60/70s.

There are some excellent police officers, and I feel sorry for the ones who are amongst the 4 or 5 forces (including the Met), which have been placed in special measures. 

What happened in Rotherham with the grooming abuse scandal of all those children has really shaken my confidence in the SY police. I don't think that SYP were placed in special measures. If SYP weren't in special measures, yet the Met and a few other forces are, just how bad must they be?

I think what was an eye opener about the debate on last night's Newsnight, was that it helped me join the dots about various matters. It's not just about 'bad apples', the Met has been branded an 'institutionally corrupt' organisation. 

There needs to be root and branch reform, not just a few cosmetic changes, like a few changes at the top. I think every process to do with recruitment, disciplinaries, whistle blowing needs to be put under the microscope. As well as the culture that's sustained people like Carrack and Wayne Couzens. As I think Yvette Cooper said in the Commons,  that while the country was reeling in shock at the revelations of Couzens; at exactly the same time Carrack was been given chance after chance by his superiors.

As m williamson said in his post, it's going to be an absolute herculean effort on the part of the senior command officers for things to change, probably because there's vested interests in the organisation not being changed.

Edited by Mister M

A former wife was arrested in the 1990's and was driven between police stations in a car with two male police officers.  She told me through out the journey the police officers were looking at females on the streets and in other cars and making comments of a sexual nature about them.  They didn't care that a female passenger could hear all their comments.

This is a story that is going to gain a bit of traction. Chief Inspector Richard Watkinson,  who amongst other things, was the lead officer for schools in his area. These people often work in groups. So the story has a long way to go.