Where Can I Buy A Black And White Tv?

Guest sibon

I’ve been thinking.

Stuff  was much better in the olden days. The 60s didn’t have all this wokery pokery. Cars were much slower, so the roads were safer. Men were men, and women were grateful (as opposed to men being women, not that there’s anything wrong with that, whatever floats your boat).

I’ve even heard tell of trains with head sized windows.

So, I’d like to buy a black and white telly and switch off the modern world. Where can I get one. And does anyone still install aerials for them?

Still thousands of people with black and white TV licenses, apparently.

Given there has been no new B/W TV sets manufactured for over 25 (?) years and they usually have ancient SCART (or other) inputs, surely most of these are on the fiddle to save a few quid.

If you can get hold of a working 625 line model you will need a converter box which converts the DVB-T aerial signal to analogue. Not sure how well this would work on the older 405 line sets though.  As long as the box doesn't record, you only need a B&W licence.

The big old X an H aerials were for 405 lines (ceased in 1981), the present UHF ones were for 625 analogue but still used for the digital DVB-T transmissions. So, only digital transmissions now (as of 2012).

You might be able to turn off the colour on your particular model. And don't forget Bill and Ben, Picture Book and Rag Tag and Bobtail.

Edited by carosio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sibon said:

I’ve been thinking.

Stuff  was much better in the olden days. The 60s didn’t have all this wokery pokery. Cars were much slower, so the roads were safer. Men were men, and women were grateful (as opposed to men being women, not that there’s anything wrong with that, whatever floats your boat).

I’ve even heard tell of trains with head sized windows.

So, I’d like to buy a black and white telly and switch off the modern world. Where can I get one. And does anyone still install aerials for them?

I know of someone 

• Haha 1

I'd be very surprised if you were able to get a black and white tv these days.

I would have suggested using your current modern tv, going into settings and turning the colour off if you want to watch programs in black and white.

I remember back in the fifties and early sixties people hoping for colour tv's to be be made, the nearest they got to a colour tv was to purchased a cellophane

3 coloured screen which would attach to the tv screen......only trouble with that was colours were un-natural and by example, people's faces would be green

whilst the rest of their body would be a mix of blue and red.

5 minutes ago, JOHN HABS said:

I would have suggested using your current modern tv, going into settings and turning the colour off if you want to watch programs in black and white.

I dont think this would be an acceptable workaround for the powers that be (assuming you are stupid enough to let them into your house to check)

10 minutes ago, JOHN HABS said:

I remember back in the fifties and early sixties people hoping for colour tv's to be be made, the nearest they got to a colour tv was to purchased a cellophane

3 coloured screen which would attach to the tv screen......only trouble with that was colours were un-natural and by example, people's faces would be green

whilst the rest of their body would be a mix of blue and red.

I’m not sure that’s the answer, John. But thanks for trying.

I really need the whole experience. Ten minutes waiting for the picture to appear. That terrible burning smell. Dodgy horizontal hold. Interference from police VHF transmissions, the lot.

Edited by sibon

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I dont think this would be an acceptable workaround for the powers that be (assuming you are stupid enough to let them into your house to check)

I think JOHN wasn't really referring to the licence issue. The regs state that a colour licence is required if the receiving equipment (on a broadcast signal) is designed to reproduce a colour picture, although there are grey areas, one being if the processing circuitry was disabled/altered so a colour picture could not be reproduced.

Edited by carosio