Car Insurance

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

If he is using the comparison sites pretty sure he has already "tried" them.

Failing the comparison sites, and the ones who arent on them (I dont think Churchill, Direct Line and Tesco are on any), he isnt going to get it any cheaper than he is already seen. No broker is going to be arsed for a single policy for an 80 year old.

Direct Line certainly won’t be interested in an 80 year old. Their entire business model is built around insuring people who don’t really need insurance.

2 hours ago, echo beach said:

'Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole', as they say.

From first hand experience they are very willing to take your money but when it comes to making a claim they'll find the most obscure reason not to pay out.

echo.

car insurance?  what obscure reason

according to the ludicrous comments on this thread, a major insurer doesn't want his business, and they don't pay out anyway, and a broker won't be interested in commission. It's a wonder how anyone gets insurance if all that is true.

from what I've seen in similar threads, nobody takes any notice of the answers anyway, they just come on to moan every year about the renewal price

Edited by fools

6 hours ago, fools said:

car insurance?  what obscure reason

according to the ludicrous comments on this thread, a major insurer doesn't want his business, and they don't pay out anyway, and a broker won't be interested in commission. It's a wonder how anyone gets insurance if all that is true.

from what I've seen in similar threads, nobody takes any notice of the answers anyway, they just come on to moan every year about the renewal price

As per usual, if you don’t like the answer it is ‘ludicrous’, you only come onto the forum to belittle other posters.

• Like 1

I recently (week) saw an ad for gocompare, giving you £50 cash back through, I think it was, top cash back website.

Normally I try a few comparison sites, and the prices do vary a bit. Usually a lot cheaper than direct line (for me at least).

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

As per usual, if you don’t like the answer it is ‘ludicrous’, you only come onto the forum to belittle other posters.

no, I haven't belittled anyone, the answers combined cut off all options. Other peoples experience of insurance has little relevance to anyone else.

Edited by fools

11 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question Cuttsie...

What's the cheapest way to get a new driver some car insurance.?

It will be a shared car and the other driver has about 10 years ncd.

Cheers

No idea kid my grand kids have passed test but no chance of driving due to insurance cost , Those  with lots of spondoolies. Win  all the time. It’s a  un fair playing field 

18 minutes ago, fools said:

no, I haven't belittled anyone, the answers combined cut off all options. Other peoples experience of insurance has little relevance to anyone else.

So no point in discussing anything that might not have a relevance to all, might as well cancel the forum.

13 minutes ago, crookesey said:

So no point in discussing anything that might not have a relevance to all, might as well cancel the forum.

we are discussing a specific subject, insurance is priced and offered according to risk.

what price a stranger got with a specific company, or the fact they moved insurers for a cheaper price is not useful information, nor is don't bother with xxx because of yyy, which is speculation

the first thing to try is to haggle, many people don't bother

Edited by fools

I would say insurance is priced according to what they think they can get away with.

Auto renewal prices are usually relatively high but can be reduced easily with a phone call.

Insurance is a law unto itself and is not an exact science hence the vast variation in quotes.

A company who has been good for one is going to be slagged off by someone else.

If you have the time to ring round and play them off against each other, do it.

You won't find out if they are any good until you need them which hopefully you won't.

I always use comparison sites and go with what looks like a good deal (including any 'free' options, breakdown and windscreen cover etc.)

Good luck 

Edited by Beamish
  • Like 1