Car Insurance

7 minutes ago, Beamish said:

I would say insurance is priced according to what they think they can get away with.

Auto renewal prices are usually relatively high but can be reduced easily with a phone call.

Insurance is a law unto itself and is not an exact science hence the vast variation in quotes.

A company who has been good for one is going to be slagged off by someone else.

If you have the time to ring round and play them off against each other, do it.

You won't find out if they are any good until you need them which hopefully you won't.

I always use comparison sites and go with what looks like a good deal (including any 'free' options, breakdown and windscreen cover etc.)

Good luck 

Or you instruct a broker to get them to play themselves off against each other. This is how brokers earn their corn, if you’re happy with their price then all is well, if not you can go solo, that’s unless you can find one that works for nothing. 🤔

1 hour ago, dan2802 said:

80 is a risk trigger point. Nowt you can do about it. Your just a higher risk.

Me a risk '!!!!!!!!!!!!! Less than 5000 miles a year ! A co driver that Paddy Hopkirk would be glad of ., never go over speed limit and no claim bonus of over 20 years

41 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Me a risk '!!!!!!!!!!!!! Less than 5000 miles a year ! A co driver that Paddy Hopkirk would be glad of ., never go over speed limit and no claim bonus of over 20 years

I think ncd only counts up to 10 years.

Mind you it was the same Vauxhall dealer who said I was getting a reliable car that told me and who was full of it on that count. 

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

I think ncd only counts up to 10 years.

Yup.

Insurers dont particular care if you claim never to go over the speed limit either, unless you agree to a black box being installed in your car you have no way of actually proving this to them.

23 hours ago, fools said:

car insurance?  what obscure reason

Hi Fools. Just to satisfy your curiosity, here's the story.

Twenty years ago our youngest lad wanted to learn to drive. 

We bought a second hand Micra for him to drive, with my wife as policy holder and him and me as a named drivers.  I taught him. After he passed his test first time, which maintained the family record, he naturally wanted his own car and  purchased a Fiat Punto. Bright yellow, may I add, so as not to be missed!

My wife and I kept the Micra as a second vehicle. About 18 months later whilst parked on the road after dark it was broken into, stolen by 'joy riders' (all recorded on video) and found burnt out some miles away a couple of days later. The car was only worth around £300 and we made a claim to Direct Line for the loss bearing in mind our £100 excess and the fact that we'd been with them for a number of years at that time.

They refused to meet the claim, albeit for such a small amount . Their reason? To help with the cost of my son's insurance I had added myself as a named driver to his policy with a different company. Someone had collided with his car and he had to make a claim to get it repaired.

That incident, which wasn't my son's fault and had nothing to do with me was, said Direct Line, the reason I was being penalised.

That's what I call an obscure reason.

They've subsequently bombarded me with promotional material regarding all sorts of insurance but they're wasting their time and money. I'll never use them again.

echo.

As a post script after the car was found burnt out we received a letter from the local council saying they were intending prosecuting us for fly tipping!!! The video was given to them and the police but surprise, surprise nothing ever happened.

Edited by echo beach
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

Tell us more.

Avoid them like the plague is my advice. Go ahead with them at your peril. 

I can recommend LV on price, but they are difficult to get in touch with by phone. Contacting them online is ok  if you are willing to do that.