Ex Tory P.M Candidate: 'Poorest Think The System Is Rigged Against Them'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/17/poorer-people-in-uk-feel-system-rigged-against-them-says-penny-mordaunt

'She said many people regard “Fair Fuel, Which? and Martin Lewis” as their protectors, rather than the state.'

'Penny Mordaunt has given a damning assessment of the state of the UK, where she said many people feel things do not work for them and the poorest think the system is rigged against them, arguing that democracy and capitalism are hanging in the balance.

The former rival to Rishi Sunak to lead the Conservative party, and now a cabinet minister, said trust would only be won back “when people feel understood”.

Imo, this a is momentous speech from someone who stood as leader of the Tory party and is still a high flyer and  i think is something Starmer should be making.

Many people at the bottom(and increasingly workers with all the strikes, RCN never in their 130 years) feel they are not supported by the state,  nationally much also seems to be falling apart, while locally the greens are now in coalition with labour and seem to be making the running with all the cuts,  the Libdems seem to be providing no real opposition, though the demise of local media means many people not aware of cuts, etc..Then , many economic issues have largely been abandoned by the Left, liberal left and especially domestic poverty, housing, etc, left to small groups like Acorn,  in favour of identity politics, etc, and the disabled and the sick have been truly hammered for decades now (though can’t even recall really mass support in the past either .) I think this had a significant bearing on the Brexit vote, many people feeling they have no power or agency.

The DWP is going into absolutely full over drive, making a brutal welfare system even more so, 600'000 more are being called in on U/C, while Sunak signed off a half billlion pound fraud and error exercise(has he done the same for HRMC?) which  will inevitably affect tens of thousands of innocent people, and UC/ESA is going to be used a tool to force many thousands of disabled and sick into unsuitable work on threat of sanctions.

I think even the 'squeezed middle are feeling the same, many JAMs didn't get any real support with cost of living or energy etc.

For workers, they seem to be railing about low pay, intransgient inflexible employers, ZHC, etc, if this is was countries in Europe, one suspects there would be social unrest.

Edited by SCM1

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You topic title is slightly wrong - it should be 'Tory ex-PM candidate', and if I were her - fortunately I'm not - I would be very careful what I said - she could find herself on the back-benches if she causes too many waves.

I think she’s still a candidate.

Just as Johnson is.

We haven’t had a swap for a few months. It is overdue.

I think Penny Mourdant is right, and it's a shame that she wasn't the leader that the membership chose.

You only have to look at the way the ex chancellor, and now chairman of the Conservative Party has been treated by the HMRC over his tax affairs compared with how you, me or some lowly person would be treated. 

The police only investigated about half of the parties at No10 during lockdown, and even then they had to dragged kicking and screaming into action.

Edited by Mister M

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You topic title is slightly wrong - it should be 'Tory ex-PM candidate', and if I were her - fortunately I'm not - I would be very careful what I said - she could find herself on the back-benches if she causes too many waves.

Changed, she may jump ship, to Labour!

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

I think she’s still a candidate.

Just as Johnson is.

We haven’t had a swap for a few months. It is overdue.

If the party is so minded, but I hope they are sensible enough to realise constant disunity is not a good idea.

2 minutes ago, SCM1 said:

Changed, she may jump ship, to Labour!

Haven't read the quoted piece, but I had credited her with more sense.

14 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

If the party is so minded, but I hope they are sensible enough to realise constant disunity is not a good idea.

Haven't read the quoted piece, but I had credited her with more sense.

I reckon its not just politics, not always a fan of final end of empire/decline theory, etc, but maybe it is now here.

Only thing is, her party have been in power for over a decade, and she created or voted for many of the measures.

Edited by SCM1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

But what should they do when people see Sunak as an out of touch billionaire?

They have had austerity for over a decade and people have had enough.

• Like 1