Buying Used Car In Sheffield

SCM1

Apologies if this is slightly off topic from the original question, but am I right in thinking that with new all-electric cars that they're all in effect 'automatic' as there's no gearbox? I've not driven an electric, or even a hybrid, (35 years of ICE !), but I guess that will become the norm in the years ahead. That said, does that mean if you learn to drive in an electric car then you're only qualified for an automatic license, and that is a relevant question for me as my son missed out on his 17th birthday driving lessons due to the pandemic lockdown, so in due course I need to know what's the most sensible car for him to learn in. TIA.

On 19/01/2023 at 16:45, SCM1 said:

as above, my carer is buying another care, her Ford Zetec is failing a bit, main sise is it needs to be an automatic, i have looked at Stoneacres, and not much for the 10'000 finance she is allowed there, I have had two cars peugeot 205 bought on here, and 307 form great small dealer in lincoln, wish i could remember the name, these wereok cars, though few yrs later had real issues issues and not much servicing had gone on. Can poster rec decent car sales with integrity which facilitates finance, etc, tx

update just heard form her, the battery had just gone, all sorted now, but her ex partner who cam out to pick us up etc, should really have checked that, jumped it etc, , What do we need to have for emergencies, jump leads are one

Definitely jump leads, but don't get the very cheapest ones with very thin cable. Check the spare and that its holding bolts are not rusted in, the car's jack and a piece of plywood for the jack foot on muddy ground, a length of copper wire or thin rope in case the exhaust falls down at the rear, a rug to lay on, a good torch, a warning triangle and a small selection of tools like cutters and pliers. Also, keep the towing eye handy in the boot, and perhaps a tow rope.

More likely on older cars of course, but you never know. If you're not in a breakdown service, a friend with a suitable car could always tow you home if it's not too far.

35 minutes ago, carosio said:

Definitely jump leads, but don't get the very cheapest ones with very thin cable. Check the spare and that its holding bolts are not rusted in, the car's jack and a piece of plywood for the jack foot on muddy ground, a length of copper wire or thin rope in case the exhaust falls down at the rear, a rug to lay on, a good torch, a warning triangle and a small selection of tools like cutters and pliers. Also, keep the towing eye handy in the boot, and perhaps a tow rope.

More likely on older cars of course, but you never know. If you're not in a breakdown service, a friend with a suitable car could always tow you home if it's not too far.

Can you tow a automatic 4 wheel drive 

16 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

16 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I'll have a go in my Pug 107! I should think owners will have considered what happens with such a vehicle breaks down.

Would you fancy towing this from Sheff. to near Stranraer with a 2 litre Ford? I did, there and back twice, the second time with a maxi 1500 and via Huddersfield on a dark snowy night.

https://i.imgur.com/uBoLMCJ.jpg