Teachers' Strikes

We had a letter from our lad's school saying there may be teachers strikes from Weds 1st Feb.

Great.

Most of us only have three options if we think we're not being paid enough :

1 - Do more hours (if possible).

2 - Get promotion.

3 - Leave and get another job.

Thus I cannot say I've much sympathy with the teachers (or the rail workers or whoever), particularly as the strikes by these groups can only succeed by inconveniencing as many people as possible. To say nothing, in the case of teachers, of our kids missing out on even more education having missed 7 months of it during the pandemic....

Last point, parents are fined if they keep there kids out of school even for as little as a week a year, so are the teachers going to be fined ? And if not why not ?

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

We had a letter from our lad's school saying there may be teachers strikes from Weds 1st Feb.

Great.

2 - Get promotion.

Careful what you wish for.

https://epi.org.uk/publications-and-research/teacher-shortages-in-england-analysis-and-pay-options/

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7222/

Edited by sibon

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Obligatory but needless mention of Covid, along with a nonsensical question to finish, I'm oot.

I snipped those bits, to attempt to point people towards the serious and growing problem in teacher recruitment and retention.

Although, a pay rise is only part of the solution. There are some other things that need doing,  not all of which will please the teaching unions.

Great.

2 - Get promotion.

Thus I cannot say I've much sympathy with the teachers (or the rail workers or whoever), particularly as the strikes by these groups can only succeed by inconveniencing as many people as possible. To say nothing, in the case of teachers, of our kids missing out on even more education having missed 7 months of it during the pandemic....

Last point, parents are fined if they keep there kids out of school even for as little as a week a year, so are the teachers going to be fined ? And if not why not ?

4. Ask for a pay increase.

Great.

2 - Get promotion.

I don't think any teachers want to strike but they feel like they don't have any other choice.  Hopefully the government will sit down and sort it out before the strikes start.  What would you do if you were in their shoes?

6 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

I don't think any teachers want to strike but they feel like they don't have any other choice.  Hopefully the government will sit down and sort it out before the strikes start.  What would you do if you were in their shoes?

Stop indoctrinating kids for a start about politics would be my first port of call.

4 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Stop indoctrinating kids for a start about politics would be my first port of call.

Is that meant as ‘teaching no politics whatsoever’ or ‘teaching politics is ok but without bias’, out of interest?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

Nope.

Teachers were picketing my sons college today.

25 minutes ago, L00b said:

Is that meant as ‘teaching no politics whatsoever’ or ‘teaching politics is ok but without bias’, out of interest?

Teaching without bias, but one would hazard a guess this to being impossible for the majority.

Edited by Al Bundy