Teachers' Strikes

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Erm, yes. Assuming the strike ballot was carried out correctly.

Anything else you are struggling with or you going to carry on banging your Covid drum?

So, let's clarify your position. You are saying it's fine that kids miss days (possibly weeks) of education because the teachers are going on strike for more money (or indeed when schools were shut for a virus kids were at no risk from), but if parents take them away on a holiday, which they may not be able to afford at peak time for even one week, that's totally unacceptable and they should be fined ?

Well, I'd have thought most people would think that position is inconsistent at best, and downright hypocritical at worst.

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

So, let's clarify your position. You are saying it's fine that kids miss dayNot res (possibly weeks) of education because the teachers are going on strike for more money (or indeed when schools were shut for a virus kids were at no risk from), but if parents take them away on a holiday, which they may not be able to afford at peak time for even one week, that's totally unacceptable and they should be fined ?

Well, I'd have thought most people would think that position is inconsistent at best, and downright hypocritical at worst.

Not really, your whole argument essentially is "teachers should be fined if they miss a day because thats what happens to the kids", which is beyond nonsensical.

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

>>Chekhov said :  So, let's clarify your position. You are saying it's fine that kids miss days (possibly weeks) of education because the teachers are going on strike for more money (or indeed when schools were shut for a virus kids were at no risk from), but if parents take them away on a holiday, which they may not be able to afford at peak time for even one week, that's totally unacceptable and they should be fined ?

Well, I'd have thought most people would think that position is inconsistent at best, and downright hypocritical at worst.<<

Not really, your whole argument essentially is "teachers should be fined if they miss a day because thats what happens to the kids", which is beyond nonsensical.

That is not what I said, but more importantly, what you replied is no answer.

I find it amusing when people blame teachers for fines when they take their children out of school for holidays.

You do realise it's the Government fining you and not the teachers don't you? The same Government the teachers are complaining about by going on strike? I'm fairly sure most teachers don't give a monkeys about kids going on holiday.

I think fair play to the teachers who are striking, I used to be one 20 years ago. A maths teacher, I hear we're in demand these days - oh well, I'll stick to my better paid, less stressful job in the "real" world as people like to call it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

I find it amusing when people blame teachers for fines when they take their children out of school for holidays.

You do realise it's the Government fining you and not the teachers don't you? The same Government the teachers are complaining about by going on strike? I'm fairly sure most teachers don't give a monkeys about kids going on holiday.

I think fair play to the teachers who are striking, I used to be one 20 years ago. A maths teacher, I hear we're in demand these days - oh well, I'll stick to my better paid, less stressful job in the "real" world as people like to call it.

Excellent points, well made.

If nobody here is bothered about having properly qualified maths, chemistry, physics or language teachers. Just crack on and oppose the strikes. Those teachers will be fine working in the private sector for double their wages and half the stress.

If you are interested in quality of education and empirical evidence, have a bit of a Google.

10 hours ago, whiteowl said:

I'm not blaming the teachers, for the fines, where do I do that?

I am simply pointing out that it is inconsistent (at best) for the education authorities / the government to fine parents for keeping their kids off school for only one week a year, yet teachers are not fined for effectively doing the same thing. 

14 hours ago, Delbow said:

Obviously I haven't read any of the posts by the official Forum Narcissist

Troll finder :
"to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content"
Antagonistic ?  Yes
Inflammatory ?  Yes
Irrelevant ? Yes
Offensive ?  Yes
Disruptive ?  Yes

5 out of 5.

Most posters who get a score that high are lefties ?

Edited by Chekhov