Teachers' Strikes

4 hours ago, Axe said:

Have some compassion for the plight of teachers. They only get 13 weeks holiday a year.

You do realise they are still working during half term, Easter ect.  Lesson plans, marking work and they go into school they're not just sat in front of the telly all week.

11 hours ago, Axe said:

I do not believe most teachers get paid £40,000 a year.  However I do believe £40,000 is a high enough salary not to justify going on strike in the state paid sector especially in the current climate.

Doff that cap lower, my good man. Lower, I said.

10 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

I think it is fair enough, they are nowt special. 

Teachers, those people tasked with teaching basic skills to generations of kids and turning them into functional members of society,  are ‘nowt special’.

Well, at least we get an insight into how and why a proportion of British society seems to be so anti-intellectual and ***** up these days 🙄

Edited by L00b
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Guest ThaBoom
8 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

You do realise they are still working during half term, Easter ect.  Lesson plans, marking work and they go into school they're not just sat in front of the telly all week.

I don't think all do that- or at least most enjoy the half term and at the very least, will go in day or 2 earlier before the term begins.

I'm basing this on the fact I have two teachers in my family circle, and when it's term break, they usually get to have most of it as holiday.

31 minutes ago, ThaBoom said:

I don't think all do that- or at least most enjoy the half term and at the very least, will go in day or 2 earlier before the term begins.

I'm basing this on the fact I have two teachers in my family circle, and when it's term break, they usually get to have most of it as holiday.

I mean, most normal people in a decent job will get 7 to 8 weeks holiday anyway, wont they? The way people carry on you would think they get 13 weeks more holiday a year than the rest of the population ffs.

If people are either too stupid to take their holiday allowance, or are self employed and either cant afford to take time off or dont want to, then more fool them.

Edited by HeHasRisen

15 hours ago, Delayed said:

>>Chekhov said:

I'm not the one who was petrified of Covid. It was not me who wanted everyone else to stay at home (including, of relevance on this thread. school kids who were at no risk from Covid), wear masks and be vaccinated.<<

And no one else wanted any of that but understood the need.

You're just showing your selfishness again. 

>>understood the need.[to suppress society and  the economy for many months] <<

There was no need, they should have adopted targeted shielding, not generalised suppression, which didn't work anyway.

One thing is absolutely certain, they should not have compelled anyone to do anything, it should all, in a free country, have been people's own choice. And if they'd done that they might not have wasted £400 Billion and the teachers could have had a pay rise, though IRONICALLY, we would also not have had the huge inflation we have had and so they wouldn't be on strike anyway.....

>>You're just showing your selfishness again.<<

That's a two way street, I think you are the selfish one saying I had to suppress my life for two effin' years, when, despite me being at slight risk (I'm not some twenty year old at almost no risk) I was not sufficiently frightened of it to want to do that.

13 hours ago, L00b said:

Do you think that’s a high wage?

For teachers?

I think £40,000 is a very good wage. It's more than I have made in almost every year I have worked throughout my life.

Edited by Chekhov

14 hours ago, Axe said:

Have some compassion for the plight of teachers. They only get 13 weeks holiday a year.

To be fair they have to go on holiday during the school holidays when it is effin' expensive.

I sometimes wonder if that's why teachers have so little sympathy for parents wanting to take their kids out of school (even for only 5 days) to save hundred's of pounds !

Edited by Chekhov

9 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

Lesson plans, marking work,  can be done sat in front of the telly.  :hihi:

30 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I mean, most normal people in a decent job will get 7 to 8 weeks holiday anyway

You think most people get 7 to 8 weeks paid holiday ? ! ?

I don't think so, and nor should they, 8 weeks is one sixth of the year which would be an employee getting a paid day off for every 6 they work.

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You think most people get 7 to 8 weeks paid holiday ? ! ?

I don't think so, and nor should they, 8 weeks is one sixth of the year which would be an employee getting a paid day off for every 6 they work.

Anyone in a half decent job will get at least 27 days plus the 8 bank holidays, yes. Thays 35 days, which is 7 weeks.

Have you any concept of the real world?

Edited by HeHasRisen

37 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I mean, most normal people in a decent job will get 7 to 8 weeks holiday anyway, wont they? The way people carry on you would think they get 13 weeks more holiday a year than the rest of the population ffs.

If people are either too stupid to take their holiday allowance, or are self employed and either cant afford to take time off or dont want to, then more fool them.

Most people in good jobs don't get 7 to 8 weeks holiday ffs.  :loopy: