Teachers' Strikes

21 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

>>understood the need.[to suppress society and  the economy for many months] <<

There was no need, they should have adopted targeted shielding, not generalised suppression, which didn't work anyway.

One thing is absolutely certain, they should not have compelled anyone to do anything, it should all, in a free country, have been people's own choice. And if they'd done that they might not have wasted £400 Billion and the teachers could have had a pay rise, though IRONICALLY, we would also not have had the huge inflation we have had and so they wouldn't be on strike anyway.....

>>You're just showing your selfishness again.<<

That's a two way street, I think you are the selfish one saying I had to suppress my life for two effin' years, when, despite me being at slight risk (I'm not some twenty year old at almost no risk) I was not sufficiently frightened of it to want to do that.

It's nearly 3 years on. You really need to get over it. 

It happened and you can't change that.

Having spoken to a nurse and teacher some time ago my impression is that their major concern is the reduction in staffing at their places of work and other issues rather than pay.

I applaud both professions for the work they do and wonder if the unions argued for more money for extra staff and changes in working practices and not asking for wage increases if this would be more worthwhile and create a more satisfied workforce in both professions.

Teachers should be made to do so many hours of community service during the school holidays.

The government should outlaw all strikes by workers being paid by the state.  We are too soft in this country on folk who cause disruption.

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

(…)

I think £40,000 is a very good wage. It's more than I have made in almost every year I have worked throughout my life.

That’s an opinion within your specific frame of reference, which is not relevant to the topic.

It’s a decent wage relative to the median UK wage, keeping well in mind that £40k is not for a career starter, but for a confirmed and well-experienced teacher with a good few years under their belt. 

For the levels of work, responsibility and personal/professional stress involved, it isn’t a good wage. Hence the attrition rate (25+%, up to 54+% forecast) and the consequential shortage of upcoming school leadership types.

To attract and retain capable, mature people to the profession, particularly in STEM subjects, it isn’t. Hence the endemic shortage of STEM teachers.

(etc.)

Education is no different to healthcare and other basic societal requirements. If you want good public services, they need to be well-managed and well-resourced, that means paying the going market rate for profiles and skillsets, else you lose them to the competition, particularly to the private sector. Especially in a full employment context like currently, wherein candidates name their price.

For context and contrast, the going rate for a secondary Ed. teacher of equivalent experience here in Lux, is well over twice £40k. Yet the education sector is still losing them hand over fist to the private sector, can’t find enough replacements, nor keep them - no differently to the UK.

1 minute ago, L00b said:

That’s an opinion within your specific frame of reference, which is not relevant to the topic.

It’s a decent wage relative to the median UK wage, keeping well in mind that £40k is not for a career starter, but for a confirmed and well-experienced teacher with a good few years under their belt. 

For the levels of work, responsibility and personal/professional stress involved, it isn’t a good wage. Hence the attrition rate (25+%, up to 54+% forecast) and the consequential shortage of upcoming school leadership types.

To attract and retain capable, mature people to the profession, particularly in STEM subjects, it isn’t. Hence the endemic shortage of STEM teachers.

(etc.)

Education is no different to healthcare and other basic societal requirements. If you want good public services, they need to be well-managed and well-resourced, that means paying the going market rate for profiles and skillsets, else you lose them to the competition, particularly to the private sector. Especially in a full employment context like currently, wherein candidates name their price.

For context and contrast, the going rate for a secondary Ed. teacher of equivalent experience here in Lux, is well over twice £40k. Yet the education sector is still losing them hand over fist to the private sector, can’t find enough replacements, nor keep them - no differently to the UK.

You base your argument solely on pay which in my experience is not the only factor causing  people to be unhappy in their professions.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Anyone in a half decent job will get at least 27 days plus the 8 bank holidays, yes. Thays 35 days, which is 7 weeks.

Have you any concept of the real world?

Your homework for tonight children is:

Persuade the public that working 195 days per year is the same as working 227 days per year without using misleading comparisons.

1 minute ago, fools said:

Your homework for tonight children is:

Persuade the public that working 195 days per year is the same as working 227 days per year without using misleading comparisons.

My only point was that some people (mainly thick people, granted) totally forget every employed person gets a holiday allowance.  I never made any misleading comparison, that was in your own head.