Teachers' Strikes

19 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Having worked for myself I couldn't work for anyone else, no chance, money would be no object. 

(…)

Then that’s your choice, so live with it and don’t begrudge others their own choices and what they get out of theirs 🙄

13 minutes ago, redruby said:

Race to the bottom, race to the bottom, race to the bottom.  Some people are worse off than teachers so shut up and be grateful.  Blah, blah, blah….

So where is the money going to come from for the teachers pay rise ? And the train drivers ? And the nurses ? etc etc

Have you forgotten the government has no money as they spent about £400 Billion unsuccessfully trying to suppress Covid ?

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

Then that’s your choice, so live with it and don’t begrudge others their own choices and what they get out of theirs 🙄

How am I begrudging others choices ? If they want to be teachers great, if they don't I'd rather they stayed in the profession (which is one I value), but if they want more dosh than the government can afford to pay them, it's the free market.

All I am pointing out is they are negatively affecting many millions of people, incl millions of kids who have suffered more than enough over the last few years.

Edited by Chekhov

7 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

(…)

How am I begrudging others choices ? If they want to be teachers great, if they don't I'd rather they stayed in the profession (which is one I value), but if they want more dosh than the government can afford to pay them, it's the free market.

All I am pointing out is they are negatively affecting many millions of people, incl millions of kids who have suffered more than enough over the last few years.

I’ve highlighted the relevant portions of your post, for your convenience, that show your begrudging.

You don’t know either of these two emboldened claims for a fact: you’re just repeating government propaganda for the first, and projecting personal opinion for the second.

Try broadening your mind. Something most teachers are good at teaching kids, before dumbing mass media gets to them later in life.

2 minutes ago, fools said:

we can just forget about the public finances and the rate of tax then can we, it's just propaganda

not before we forget the £100bn (<not a typo) which the government wasted on pub mates and relatives’ fly-by-night startup PPE import companies and assorted other cronyist structures, interest repayment ‘mistakes’ (obviously non-refundable or -correctable) and similar other taxpayer-defunding schemes 😏

£100 beeeellions. Within a year and crumbs. One hundred thousand millions of pounds. Enough to pay-rise nurses, junior doctors, teachers, ambulance drivers and all the others for years and longer, with a sh**ton of spare change.

But yeah, sure. “Trust us, there is no money”.

🐑🤪

1 minute ago, L00b said:

not before we forget the £100bn (<not a typo) which the government wasted on pub mates and relatives’ fly-by-night startup PPE import companies and assorted other cronyist structures, interest repayment ‘mistakes’ (obviously non-refundable or -correctable) and similar other taxpayer-defunding schemes 😏

£100 beeeellions. Within a year and crumbs. One hundred thousand millions of pounds. Enough to pay-rise nurses, junior doctors, teachers, ambulance drivers and all the others for years and longer, with a sh**ton of spare change.

But yeah, sure. “Trust us, there is no money”.

🐑🤪

OK, Owen

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

So where is the money going to come from for the teachers pay rise ? And the train drivers ? And the nurses ? etc etc

Have you forgotten the government has no money as they spent about £400 Billion unsuccessfully trying to suppress Covid ?

When George Osborne planned to massively increase the minimum wage it was reported that it would boost the economy.

The private sector pay rises are around 4% below inflation and public sector pay rises 7% below inflation. So that is like the whole country taking a massive pay cut, no wonder we are predicted to be the slowest growing country.

12 hours ago, Chekhov said:

There’s plenty of money around if you know where to look.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64489147

It just needs distributing differently.

12 hours ago, L00b said:

>>Chekhov said How am I begrudging others choices ? If they want to be teachers great, if they don't I'd rather they stayed in the profession (which is one I value), but if they want more dosh than the government can afford to pay them, it's the free market.

All I am pointing out is they are negatively affecting many millions of people, incl millions of kids who have suffered more than enough over the last few years.<<

I’ve highlighted the relevant portions of your post, for your convenience, that show your begrudging.

You don’t know either of these two emboldened claims for a fact: you’re just repeating government propaganda for the first, and projecting personal opinion for the second.

Try broadening your mind. Something most teachers are good at teaching kids, before dumbing mass media gets to them later in life.

The fact I , and millions of others, are being grossly inconvenienced by these strikes and are ****ed off about it is me "begrudging" ?

Interesting use of language.

>>You don’t know either of these two emboldened claims for a fact: you’re just repeating government propaganda for the first, and projecting personal opinion for the second.<<

more dosh than the government can afford to pay them

No, that's a given. Did you not know the govt spent about £400 Billion during the pandemic ? Much of it paying up to 12 million people to sit at home of their backsides ? 

negatively affecting many millions of people

Sorry, are you claiming nobody is being negatively affected by the teachers strikes ? And the nurses strikes ? And the train drivers strikes ?

Really ?

If that's the case why are they bothering to go on strike ?

In fact, if that really is the case, why are we employing these people to do jobs nobody apparently notices if they stop working ? ! ?

Edited by Chekhov