Food Firms Raising Prices Unnecessarily Apparently.

It is not the farmers who are profiteering. It is the middlemen.  Last year Tesco stopped selling Heinz foods for a while due to the increase in price of those products. The Tesco chairman pointed out that better deals can be had for the shopper if they unbranded products.  Soups are a good example.

Guest makapaka

Well if their supplier price increases aren’t justifiable they won’t be passing them on to Tesco customers surely?

as if. 

We are being really ripped off, it is the same every time there is a chance to add extra on  to increase profits. We all know prices go up but they must be adding more on, watch the record profits when they reveal their yearly reports. I just got home from Asda they have put their own bread up 18.75% since last week. The own soups at Asda have gone up about 3 times, I think they used to be 50p now 65p, that is a 30% increase.

It isn't only shops though the Government are raising passport prices by 10%.

Edited by iansheff

1 hour ago, Axe said:

It is not the farmers who are profiteering. It is the middlemen.  Last year Tesco stopped selling Heinz foods for a while due to the increase in price of those products. The Tesco chairman pointed out that better deals can be had for the shopper if they unbranded products.  Soups are a good example.

Its a bit of a non story really. A 4 X Pack of Heinz beans is the same price in Tesco, Asda, Aldi and Sainsburys at around £4. The big supermarkets all operate basically as a cartel with their "price match" so prices are almost the same in all of them. As soon as one lowers a price, if ever, then the others follow suit. The Tesco chairman was right as well, Tesco own brand beans are £0.50 a tin or if you are hard up then go to ASDA and buy just essentials baked beans at £0.26 a tin.

16 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Excuses excuses, every body and their dog are jumping on the price hype band wagon, greedy bas----,  :rant:

Blame it all on the Ukrainian war.

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny

Surely, in a free market, businesses can charge what they want ?

It is up to all of us as consumers to make the market work and, if we consider something is too expensive, buy an alternative.

I sometimes think my wife spends too long on trying to find better savings rates, but in actual fact she, and others like her, are doing us all a favour by rewarding cheaper suppliers and penalising more expensive ones. Thus encouraging the more expensive suppliers to keep their prices down (or their interest rates up) because it will cost them money if they do not.

That's how the free market is supposed to work.

23 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

It's partly the Ukraine war but far more the suppression of the world economy during the pandemic. Supply chains went to pot and much investment postponed or even cancelled (the oil price was in negative territory for a while), then when demand returned prices sky rocketed.

6ecbb68b-39c3-429d-ae7d-653c8e800646.png

Edited by Chekhov
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

The own soups at Asda have gone up about 3 times, I think they used to be 50p now 65p, that is a 30% increase.

Vote with your feet then, asda 400g chunky soups are currently £1.10, aldi £0.79, a 39.2% difference. You'll save loads if you switch shops - just be careful with the parking time limits, some Aldi's only allow 90 mins

Edited by fools
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

Its a bit of a non story really. A 4 X Pack of Heinz beans is the same price in Tesco, Asda, Aldi and Sainsburys at around £4. The big supermarkets all operate basically as a cartel with their "price match" so prices are almost the same in all of them. As soon as one lowers a price, if ever, then the others follow suit. The Tesco chairman was right as well, Tesco own brand beans are £0.50 a tin or if you are hard up then go to ASDA and buy just essentials baked beans at £0.26 a tin.

Blame Boris, thats far better. :hihi:

46 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Surely, in a free market, businesses can charge what they want ?

It is up to all of us as consumers to make the market work and, if we consider something is too expensive, buy an alternative.

I sometimes think my wife spends too long on trying to find better savings rates, but in actual fact she, and others like her, are doing us all a favour by rewarding cheaper suppliers and penalising more expensive ones. Thus encouraging the more expensive suppliers to keep their prices down (or their interest rates up) because it will cost them money if they do not.

That's how the free market is supposed to work.

It's partly the Ukraine war but far more the suppression of the world economy during the pandemic. Supply chains went to pot and much investment postponed or even cancelled (the oil price was in negative territory for a while), then when demand returned prices sky rocketed.

6ecbb68b-39c3-429d-ae7d-653c8e800646.png

What, pray, could anyone, Mr Meltman specifically, find "Funny" about what I have written ?

27 minutes ago, fools said:

Vote with your feet then, asda 400g chunky soups are currently £1.10, aldi £0.79, a 39.2% difference. You'll save loads if you switch shops

They will also help all of us by forcing ASDA to keep its prices lower.

Edited by Chekhov