King Edwards School - Ofsted Report Failures - Forced Academy Status

Guest makapaka
48 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:

Sad to see this demise. 

Overall Effectiveness: "Inadequate"

Link to the report below

https://files.ofsted.gov.uk/v1/file/50205797

And now the school will be forced into Academy status.

Any concerned parents out there?

I went to king Edwards in the early 90s - was a  great school then.

Shame.

Edited by makapaka

Far too much prominence is given to OFSTED findings. 

They simply measure what can be measured, when a lot of the things that make a good school are the sort that can't be calculated.

It's one of the reasons teachers dislike OFSTED and league tables - they can give a false impression of a school, and are often subjective and reliant simply on the appraisal of the inspector who delivers it. They will have their own ideas about education etc regardless of the criteria

They often can't decide what education is for. 

Is it to pass exams, or to learn about life and survival.

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Far too much prominence is given to OFSTED findings. 

They simply measure what can be measured, when a lot of the things that make a good school are the sort that can't be calculated.

It's one of the reasons teachers dislike OFSTED and league tables - they can give a false impression of a school, and are often subjective and reliant simply on the appraisal of the inspector who delivers it. They will have their own ideas about education etc regardless of the criteria

They often can't decide what education is for. 

Is it to pass exams, or to learn about life and survival.

If you read the report, you will see that it is damning about much more than just exam results. Poor leadership, bullying, lack of safeguarding.

Having had a fairly recent opportunity to see the school close up, I’m not really surprised.

11 minutes ago, sibon said:

If you read the report, you will see that it is damning about much more than just exam results. Poor leadership, bullying, lack of safeguarding.

Having had a fairly recent opportunity to see the school close up, I’m not really surprised.

I’d agree with that.

The main issues don’t appear to be about results.

So much so that it will lose its independent staus and be forced to convert into an Academy.

Edited by PapaLazarou

7 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:

I’d agree with that.

The main issues don’t appear to be about results.

So much so that it will lose its independent staus and be forced to convert into an Academy.

I never understood why they resisted academy status. Going it alone is a difficult thing to do.

They could have started their own group of academy chains as Tapton, Silverdale and King Ecberts have.

Its too late for that now. It will be interesting to see which trust takes them over.

It was the highest-achieving and most prestigious boys’ grammar school in Sheffield at one time. We girls next door at the Girls’ High used to fraternise with the King Ted’s boys on the way to and from school!

I think it’s very sad to see how far such a fine old school has sunk.