King Edwards School - Ofsted Report Failures - Forced Academy Status

16 minutes ago, Blackburnrod said:

My father Alan Goodfellow was head of Wisewood comprehensive in the late 50s and introduced O levels.This was the first comprehensive in Sheffield to do so.

Your father was a well respected headteacher and even those who did not go to Wisewood knew his name.

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed today. King Edwards has now been ordered to join a Multi-Academy Trust, and become an Academy, thereby losing its independent status.

That, I believe is the last of the independents.

Sad day for King Edwards.

Guest sibon
3 hours ago, PapaLazarou said:

Confirmed today. King Edwards has now been ordered to join a Multi-Academy Trust, and become an Academy, thereby losing its independent status.

That, I believe is the last of the independents.

Sad day for King Edwards.

Most of the trusts in Sheffield are run by existing schools, so it’s not all bad. 

It will be interesting to see which trust they end up in.

On 16/02/2023 at 17:33, harvey19 said:

I went to join the army at 15 but was told to stay at grammar school until I was 16.

I was then offered an apprenticeship as a plumber and went with my father to the education offices on Leopold street to request to leave school at 15 but they would not let me.

I got a couple of GCEs which stood me in good stead in my later teens after drifting around in jobs for a couple of years.

Army at 15? Most places won't even look sideways at you till you're 17 or above for a start.

Guest busdriver1
On 02/03/2023 at 18:10, sibon said:

Most of the trusts in Sheffield are run by existing schools, so it’s not all bad. 

It will be interesting to see which trust they end up in.

I dont see them being run by a successful trust rather than a failing council being a bad thing.

• 6 months later...
On 16/02/2023 at 17:33, harvey19 said:

I went to join the army at 15 but was told to stay at grammar school until I was 16.

I was then offered an apprenticeship as a plumber and went with my father to the education offices on Leopold street to request to leave school at 15 but they would not let me.

I got a couple of GCEs which stood me in good stead in my later teens after drifting around in jobs for a couple of years.

Why did u want to join the army at  15?Was it something personal or just vocation?